What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey AHRS vs. GRT's

apatti

Well Known Member
Looking at the GRT website, they make a big deal of their AHRS being independent of GPS data. Does the Oddyssey need GPS data to be accurate?

Thanks,

Odyssey

Nope. It is self-sufficient with just the AHRS and electronic compass, although the Odyssey (and Voyager, Explorer and Enigma) all have GPS built-in as standard equipment.

Looking at the GRT website, they make a big deal of their AHRS being independent of GPS data. Does the Oddyssey need GPS data to be accurate?

Thanks,

GRT rightly makes a big deal of this.

The better the AHRS, the less the need for aiding (see the extensive thread on the subject we had just recently).
If you can get your AHRS to perform well without any form of aiding then that is exactly the way to use it. GRT's AHRS has a very good reputation.

But before I get blasted by Nicol, let me hasten to add that aiding can be done in a way that benifits even very good AHRS systems - but that does not usualy include the kind of systems we put in our kind of aircraft.

Our systems (low cost SP-4 and high specification SP-5) do not require or need aiding which includes the compass (i.e. they work just as well without a compass). Having said that, both systems will use aircraft velocity information if that is available to aid the AHRS, but only in very specific circumstances and even then the aiding is very "weak" as the systems have very low drift figures and don't need a lot of aiding.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

... think we have this covered!

But before I get blasted by Nicol, let me hasten to add that aiding can be done in a way that benifits even very good AHRS systems - but that does not usualy include the kind of systems we put in our kind of aircraft....

Glad to see someone is listening ...

:p

Think we all see eye-to-eye by now ...

Regards,

Last edited:
Back