What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loose Gear legs: Will this help?

GAHco

Well Known Member
Loose Gear Leg Bolts, Would this help?

At the E-mail request of an established RV Customer of ours.

Concerning the loose fit of the Bolts / Holes attaching the Nose and Main Gear on most RV's (may or may not be applicable to yours)

The suggested solution is to put in oversize bolts after Reaming (Not Drilling) the proper size close tolerance holes.

Matching the grip lengths of the following for the Nose Gear.

AN5-20A has a grip of 1.563 inches, times that by 16 to get a 25/16ths grip

For a standard close tolerance equivalent bolt you would use an NAS1305-25 or NAS6605-25

For the first oversize you would want to use the NAS6605-25X.

We have the NAS6605-24X, this should work very well if you use only one washer or thin washers, the installation is in shear so all that needs to happen is the bolt needs to fit very snug and not fall out.

Matching the grip lengths of the following for the Main Gear.

AN5-22A has a grip of 1.813 inches, times that by 16 to get a 29/16ths grip

For a standard close tolerance equivalent bolt you would use an NAS1305-29 or NAS6605-29

For the first oversize you would want to use the NAS6605-29X.

We have the NAS6605-29X, this should work very well, the installation is in shear so all that needs to happen is the bolt needs to fit very snug and not fall out.

I have reamers but they are for installation in Aluminum for a medium drive fit, you need this to be an exact fit, not under or over. Any machine tool supply such as MSC could accommodate you on these.

The reamers I do have are .3105, .3261, .3417, you can use them if you want, but beware, if the bolts are on the high side you will have a pretty tough time banging them in.

Be careful not to drill these holes out to there final size, you want to ream them.

Do not make your first oversize hole too big, but if you do, I have the NAS6605-27Y, no room for washers on these for the Main gear, and several washers for the nose gear.

The Bolt dia specs for the NAS bolts are

6605 normal = .3110 to .3112

6605 (X) = .3266 to .3276

6605 (Y) = .3422 to 3432

Most of these items may be purchased on our Webstore or you can call and ask for a sales person once you have determined the part numbers you want.

Hope this all helps. Tom

If I were to see enough interest I would consider a repair kit with the first oversize bolts and the proper reamer for the 4130 steel. The reamer would not be the turbo fancy cobalt, like I already have , but one that will do the job without costing you a leg :eek: (pun intended).

Let me know if you are interested, I know many of you just need the bolts and already have your own reamers.

Last edited:
This is the solution to a problem I created for myself a while back. I'm at least interested in the bolts.

Guy

In Stock!

This is the solution to a problem I created for myself a while back. I'm at least interested in the bolts.

Guy

Thanks for the post.

In Stock!

If you need anything let us know.

Footnote to all: The bolt for the nose gear should have an allmetal locknut, the bolts for the main gear could have either Nylock or Allmetal.

Its a temperature thing.

Any fasteners in the Engine Compartment should be rated to at least 450 degrees, in some cases higher IE: Exhaust.

Thanks.

Thanks for the order Jim, please let us know how they work out.

Or better yet, how well they Function in your gear legs.

anybody use AN175 close tolerance bolts for gear attach?

Has anyone used AN175 close tolerance bolts to attach the main and nose gear legs?

Vans provides AN5 bolts which are 0.309/0.312 in diameter by spec.

The AN175 bolts are 0.3112/0.3117 by spec.

I'm thinking of this for a new install. I've already reamed my main gear legs & sockets with a 5/16 straight flute reamer I got from Cleveland Tool. I haven't done anything with the nose gear yet.

This is for the initial assembly - I'm looking to avoid the "loose gear legs" problem.

I have no idea if I could get the AN175 bolts into the reamed holes - has anyone else used these? They are available at Spruce.

GEAR BOLTS

A standard 5/16 reamer will probably result in a hole that is loose, even for the AN175 bolt. mscdirect.com has undersize reamers which would be much better for the standard AN bolt or the AN375. They have a .326 reamer which would be slightly small for the -29X bolt. They also have expansion reamers, so why not buy both. Ream the hole .001 undersize and then very carefully ream with the expansion reamer until the bolt is a drive fit.
Another option is to chuck the bolt by the threads, polish down the shank, and then have the bolt replated.
Don't be afraid to fit these bolts quite tight, it is far better than loose which will allow the gear to start moving in just a few hours. Use a plastic hammer held against the bolt head and hit it with a large ball peen. Or use a large diameter brass drift.

Back