What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Ear Buds for your Halo....

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
It's no secret that I absolutely love my Qt Halo headset - unless I am wearing a parachute and helmet, you won't catch me flying my plane without it - so comfortable and convenient, with excellent hearing protection. The only "problem" that I have found is that the ear buds last me about three weeks before losing their resiliency and therefore their sealing and noise protection properties. Perhaps it's just that I put them on a good ten times a week that causes it.....

I settle on the yellow buds as my favorites, and traded with a few folks on the forums to get a few more and let the other styles I wouldn't be using end up in the hands of folks where they would be. The yellow buds are basically the standard foam ear plug with an attaching tube installed in the middle. I try and get as much use out of each pair as I can, but can tell a huge difference when I put a new pair in place - the loss of protection is gradual, and you only notice when there is a change. The QT web site does say that you can buy more, and in fact, when I was at Oshkosh this year, I stopped by their booth and told them I need some more, and why, and they gave me a dozen or so for free. They told me that they are normally 75 cents a pair, and that they be washed so I shouldn't need that many.

I finally had a handful of used one, and ran them through the wash, and while they came out clean, they still had lost their ability to expand properly, so rather than sink a lot of money into ordering a bunch, I decided that I should give a little DIY a try. (I can't expect them to keep handing me freebies at every airshow where I find them!) I happened to be standing at my workbench with a pair of yellow foam ear plugs in my hand, and some heat shrink lying in front of me. I drilled holes in the plugs, cut a couple of pieces of tubing, used a dab of super glue, and voila' - perfect duplicates! A quick trip to the airport and short flight confirmed that worked great.

The next stop was the internet, searching for "foam ear plugs". I found a supplier that sold them in any quantity that you want, and ordered a box of 200 pairs for $15. 3/32" heat shrink is four feet for a dollar at my local electronics house, so that was my next step. Super glue I have.

the manufacturing process is simple. Take a handful of ear plugs, and put them in a small cooler with some ice packs. chuck up a #43 drill in a Dremel tool - you need a really high speed to do this right. When the ear plugs are frozen hard, take them out one at a time, ad drill holes in the centers, from the end of the plug with the "skin". I found that clamping the Dremel in place and moving the foam worked best. Cut the heat shrink into 1.25" pieces. Slide a piece in each hole, put just a drop of super glue on the tube, and slide it into the foam so it is flush on one end.
IMG_1941.jpg

Repeat for as many as you think you might want to have......
IMG_1938.jpg

I've flown with my home-mades twice, and they seal great! I'll see how long they give good performance - hope they last as long as the QT ones - but even if they don't, they are only about $0.12 per pair, so i can change them much more often. there's something nice about a fresh set of ear buds - kind of like putting a new, sharp bit in your drill after a couple hundred holes....

Supplier name?

Paul,

This is great info. Can you tell us the name of the supplier you used to get the earplugs (and the part number)?

Thanks,

Jim

Paul,

I just ordered a box (200 pairs) through Amazon.com for $29 (including shipping). Although not $15, it is still cheap.

One question, what is the purpose of the extra length of tube outside the plug? I have been cutting it off before inserting the end of the tubephone to the plug.

The extra length? I hadn't thought of cutting it off Ted - I guess I use it to hang on to when I install it. I guess whatever works best for you ...works!

AS far as buying them - I just searched for EAR foam ear plugs and got a bunch of places - just picked the first one that had a good deal.

Paul

Hi Paul I see you were getting careless with your drilling the holes they aren't all in the centre.lol

That one single solitary earplug drew my attention too.:D I'm gonna chalk it up to being one of the very first, or very last ones he did!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting this, Paul. I just got a Halo and love it so far. (I've got about 3 hours with it) I had thought about rolling my own ear plugs for it, but you beat me to the punch!! I wrote the instructions you posted in the other thread down for future refrence.

Great job!

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited:
Ahh yes....a few off-center holes. QA experts will be happy to know that I did qualification testing (I stuck them in my ears!) of foamies with "less than perfectly centered" holes, and they appeared to perform equally as well as their better-formed brethren. Besides, it is kind of daunting to hold that little 1/2" diameter cylinder and slide it onto a drill bit spinning at 20,000 rpm on a DREMEL. Some of them get away from you...;)

Scott - give the Halo's a try! I have flown with all sorts of contraptions on my head over the decades, and while I sometimes like the secure feeling I get with a full-pressure helmet, nothing has felt as free as the Halo - I forget I have it on. AS to hearing protection, I had my Flight Surgeons check it out, and they said I'd get as good of protection as if I was using an ear cup ANR headset....so how's that arm feeling now? :)

Paul

On the way to LOE in my father-in-law's 182, I swapped my QT Halos for my wife's non ANR lightspeed headset and my father-in-law's ANR David Clarks. All 3 of us agreed that the Halos were the quietest. They're also the most comfortable headset I've ever worn. YMMV.
G

One thing I don't see mentioned about the Halos that I really like is the clarity. They are quieter than my Sennheiser ANR's, and much more comfortable. But they are also way clearer. Maybe it's just me, but the "Say again's" have dropped to zero with Halos. I think the speakers are better. Love 'em. And thanks for the hint on making your own, Paul. Think I'll make a little holder and drill them on my lathe. That should keep all those holes centered (and not through my finger.)

Bob Kelly

Last edited:
The thing that sold me on the Halos is when I fly with sunglasses. No matter how thin the arms on the sunglasses, they always compromised the seal on my ANRs. Not so with the Halos. Plus it's much easier to put on and take off sunglasses or a hat.

Rolled my own too.

Guys,

The other day I gave rolling my own earbuds a shot and it worked out very well. Kudos to Paul for sharing this info with us!

Loving my QT Halo!

Josh

Tubing Source

Instead of using heat shrink that's hard to get off without stretching, and will probably shrink in the dryer -- does anyone know where to get tubing more like what QT uses in the ones they sell?

Instead of using heat shrink that's hard to get off without stretching, and will probably shrink in the dryer -- does anyone know where to get tubing more like what QT uses in the ones they sell?

I thought about this, because you're right, the heat shrink is softer, and I wondered how it would work. I actually like it better, because it is easier to get on to the headset's "barb". It does stretch when you take it off, but hey, I'm throwing them away when I take them off - that's the point of making them cheaply!:D

Paul

I like to wash mine because it seems to make them a little softer and less harsh on the ears. (I fly air taxi and wear mine about 15-20 hours a week.) Also saves time making more.

If you can find the green ear plugs, (can't remember if E.A.R. makes them or a different company); they are even softer still and good for colder temps.

I definitely appreciate your tip here on how to make them. I tried before and they just squished and spun when trying to drill -- didn't think to freeze them!

- Brett

I thought about this, because you're right, the heat shrink is softer, and I wondered how it would work. I actually like it better, because it is easier to get on to the headset's "barb". It does stretch when you take it off, but hey, I'm throwing them away when I take them off - that's the point of making them cheaply!:D

Paul

Thanks for the information

I just ordered the QT halo yesterday. I am anxious to get it in and try it out. I was using the Lightspeed headset before. I like them, but they are a little bulky inside the RV. I would also bump the canopy with them if it were bumpy.

But this is great information to have. Thanks

If you can find the green ear plugs, (can't remember if E.A.R. makes them or a different company); they are even softer still and good for colder temps.

I definitely appreciate your tip here on how to make them. I tried before and they just squished and spun when trying to drill -- didn't think to freeze them!

- Brett

I tried to drill some of the really soft ear plugs we use at work and they just grab and spin too. I'll try freezing them. I had no trouble drilling the yellow plugs with a Dremel tool without freezing them. I will post results.

Another option

I've been making my own earplugs for a modified Plantronics headset for a number of years. I found the following earplugs about a year ago and they are quieter than the yellow ones (noticeably IMHO).

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/holemaxuffop.html

Instead of freezing and drilling (been there done that) I found heating a coathanger wire with my propane torch and poking the hole works even better. Then dip it in water and slide it on the tube.

What a great idea.
Like RVaddict I am having a similar problem with the holes.
I am using a great plug from E.A.Rsoft, the FX plug. It is very soft, almost like gum.
It seems to harden up OK in the freezer, but it still grabs on a 4mm drill bit, and jumps out of my fingers. I have tried heating the same drill bit over the gas cooker, but cant get it to melt through properly. Maybe I need to get it to glowing hot.....

Punch, don't drill

So, you can't hear with earplugs in, huh? Well, put a hole through them. Problem solved. May be a patentable concept here!

I have a Halo, too, and love it. I have tried several ways to drill a hole through these nice soft memory foam plugs, with little success. Just figured it out! I have a small lathe and made a miniature leather punch. Compress the plugs end-to-end and give em one quick swat with a 3 oz. hammer. The worm cut from the core just expands itself out of the punch. Works great!

Details: used a 3/32" bit, drilled about 3/8" into the shank, turned it to about .020" wall thickness and beveled the end at about 30* until it was sharp. The hole in the ear plug looks noticeably smaller than 3/32" which should give a nice tight fit for the speaker tube.

Bob Kelly

Similar Method

I have experienced the same problem with my Halo headset. I was experimenting to see if I could modify the stock ear plugs and found that a cheap punch cut the hole nicely. The tool is a "plier" like device with different size cutters mounted on a rotating spindle. I first squeezed the ear plug flat with my fingers, then cut the hole. Piece of cake.

Stock ear plugs are 3/4 inch long while the ones supplied by QT are only 1/2 inch long. I think the 3/4 inch ones should perform better.

SilentEar plugs

Maybe you should try these:
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/silnatrubear.html

They are different than the roll then insert disposible ear plugs. Apparently you just insert, and they should last for years. Supposedly they are made from a different material than the disposibles. I like the claimed noise reductiuon rate, makes it sound like it is about perfect for the Halo application. You can check out the manufacturers website at:

http://www.silentear.com/index.html

I am going to order my Halo's today, then after I try them out I will experiment with these ear plugs for replacements of the stock plugs.

If anyone tries them PLEASE let me know the results!

Travis

got a pair at OSH

I borowed an expensive active headset for the flight out to OSH. (L.A. to OSH)
Used the Halo on the way home and never looked back. Lighter, cooler, and very quiet. :D
Thanks for the excellent tip. I'm just to the point of needing new buds.

The ad says the ear plugs are gel filled.

I suspect that drilling a hole in them would not be conducive to the retention of the gel filling.

I agree.
I went from the Lightspeeds to the Halos, albiet a bit sceptical, but I love them!
If doing aerobatics however they need to go UNDER your hat, as they are soo light.
Paul, Thanks a bunch for the idea. I am getting close to runnning out of the plugs they supplied.
Let us know how the DIY holds up.
Al Grajek
RV8
KLEX

Let us know how the DIY holds up.

Well, after a month of flying with my DIY earbuds, I am only on my second pair, so I think they hold up pretty well! My first production run was about 100 pairs, so I guess I have a way to go before I run out - but now I have to share half my stash with Louise, because she got a Halo for Christmas...;)

Paul

OK. I used a 3mm punch to core out the plug. Works a treat. The heatshrink fit was a bit tight, but by heating one end slightly, it becomes a tapered end!!!
Will take them out for a test flight tomorrow, weather permitting.

i too have the halo headset and looked for a cheaper way buy replacement earbuds...instead of heat shrink i tried small stir straws, they seem to be a lot more like the real ones, i will be trying them out in a few hours to see how they hold up.

Sure

Paul:

I really paid close attention to Doug's pitch for the Halo headsets a couple of months ago, but I'm still not sold. Perhaps I just can't fathom that not having my ears fully enclosed by a helmet or by two big honkin' ear muffs will eliminate the cockpit noise, or maybe they just look flimsy and cheap to me. Would you or anybody else out there be able to make a comparison to Lightspeed's Mach I series? http://www.anrheadsets.com/products... Neither of which is a big deal.....:) Frank

Oh and another thing

I have to thank you Paul...I always feel so guilty for being cheap (I'm an engineer and British to boot) then I read your posts and, well, then I feel good about myself again...:)

Saved me thousands in thereapy already!

Cheers

Frank

thanks Mike for the greetings,
Well it was too cold to fly, the plane wouldn't start, gota love grand forks north dakota. But i did some tests with the modified earplugs...the stir straws fit nicely on the post, a little looser than the stock ones, but they will hold just fine, i used the yellow neon earplugs ( http://www.e-a-r.com/e-a-r.com/roll_detail.cfm?prod_family=Earsoft&ind_prod_num=312-1250001 ) pushed them down like a pancake, and drilled the hole, then slid the straw on, and used a dab of hot glue to keep it on. I ran a test using them while listening to music on my laptop, i would turn the music all the way down until i could not hear the lyrics anymore with the yellow neons, then i tried the stock yellow plugs and could definitly make out the entire song, and then i tried the white tripple flange plugs and those were by far the worst. In all the trials i pushed them in to the recommended length, and waited for a few minutes to make sure they were fully expanded in my ear canal. The yellow neon plugs were by far more comfortable, and quieter.
The yellow neons i used were decided by this chart ( http://www.aearo.com/pdf/hearing/ear_atten.pdf ) There are the Classic ear plugs which say they give better reduction, but they are made of PVC, and aren't as comfortable, choose what works best for you. Hope this helps for all of you.

Nukeflyboy:

I sure liked your suggestion to use a leather punch plier. I got one at Ace Hardware. Was real easy to make the 3/32" hole.

I tried the hot hangar wire method, but almost died on the burning foam fumes! Wow, that CANNOT be too good for those lungs.

Now, getting the 3/32" tube into the foam plug is quite challenging. Anybody have any tricks?

Paul

wow. 3/32 is small.
Being a Brit. I used 3 mm. :p
As above, you can heat the end of the heat shrink tubing to make it smaller, and fit into almost anything.

I'm glad someone resurrected this...I just happened to be at Home Depot Aviation Supply this morning and they had a set of those punches on the discount table for $5.00. Having just read the last couple of notes here, I snapped them up, and played with them. They seem to work great! better than holding the frozen plug between thumb and forefinger and aiming at that 20,000 rpm drill bit on the Dremel. I find the lugs take a LONG time to uncompress after being squished lengthwise though.

I used the next punch size up from 3/32", and inserted the tubing while the plug was still squished. Seems to work OK.

Paul

Foam earplug factory

I was having difficulty inserting the 3/32" heat shrink into the hole I punched into the plug. So here is what I came up with. First, taper the end of a coat hanger wire, slide the 3/32" heat shrink on and shrink it a little onto the wire. But not so much that it won't slide off! Use this to slide the heat shrink into the plug.

I wait for the plug to get it's normal shape back after punching before I insert. That way, you retain the normal plug shape.

These plugs are the Silencio brand Red-E-Fit earplugs from Walmart. Inexpensive and yet 32 db rating. Much more comfortable and easier to insert than the yellow ones that came with my Halos.

I'm having a lot of fun doing this!

img0843.jpg

img0841.jpg

img0842.jpg

Ken,

For me it's not a question of the yellow plugs being cheap, it's that I could do so much better with a custom earplug.

My homemades are more comfortable, easier to insert, provide more noise attenuation.

Paul

Thanks for the resources. I'm going to try everything. I started with the silicone tree things and flew with those for about 60hrs, then switched to the yellow foam, been flying those for about 40hrs. I have now run out of the standard yellow foam and have all the supplies (foam ear plug sampler pack and plenty of shrink tube) to make up some home-mades to try. I may fall in love with the home rolled ones as others have. If not, I'll be looking for quantity of something to buy.
The 9A is flying great. I can't wait for daylight savings to get back to flying longer in the evenings after work. I went my first full 25hr (oil change) interval without pulling the cowl, and found nothing to touch when I did. That is exciting for me.

As I'm making my way through the big sample pack of ear plugs for use with my Halo, I have found that some of the softer, higher noise reduction plugs aren't so good for higher temps. It is 95* in Texas now. I was flying all around central Texas yesterday doing touch-n-goes at various places. It was hot and sticky. I was using some of the slightly softer high NR ear plugs from the sample pack and was having a real problem keeping them sealed in my ear. I think the foam was not firm enough in the hotter weather and sweaty ears. These same plugs were doing great in cooler weather.
I'm now making up some different samples that are slightly firmer. It may be that the classic yellow foam ear plugs are a good happy medium for broader circumstances.

well, after a lot of skepticism I decided to listen to everyone's advice and positive reviews on here and placed the order for my Halo yesterday. I am really anxious to try them out once they arrive, but unfortunately I am still going through my private pilot lessons and my next lesson is ground so I'm just going to try and get that out of the way so as soon as they come in I can try them out by doing some zero-g maneuvers during my stall lesson :) I'm also lookin forward to trying out this DIY once i wear out the provided plugs.

Thanks to everyone who helped me make the decision.

heat shrink

anybody found anything better than heat shrink for the tubing?

BTW the leather punch works awsome

Decision Time

For those that have made your own, how are they holding up and are you happy with the performance. Also, what type of glue works well without dissolving the foam or tube?

Time here to either make some or buy some.

DIY results

For those that have made your own, how are they holding up and are you happy with the performance. Also, what type of glue works well without dissolving the foam or tube?

Time here to either make some or buy some.
My home made earplugs work great. I re-use the plastic tubes that came with the headset earplugs - just strip off the old earplug.
I'm using these: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/holemaxuffop.html and heat up a pop-rivet mandrel to poke the hole. Then I dip the tube in water and insert - no glue needed. I make up 3 or 4 sets so I have extras all the time. When an earplug gets too dirty, just pull out the tube and toss the foam plug. When I get low on replacements, use the tubes and make up more...

I made up a couple hundred spare sets, and put them in a zip-loc bag in the hangar office. Louise and I change ours every few weeks - they hold up fine, and I figure we're set for awhile!

Paul

heat up a pop-rivet mandrel to poke the hole.

Good call on the heated mandrel. I just tried it and it works great because it also seems to kind of fuse the foam to the plastic tube if you insert the tube pretty quickly. I didn't need to use any water to help slide the tube in so maybe my mandrel is a different diameter.

Back