What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans tachometer transducer

rvator51

Well Known Member
I just received a Vans tachometer transducer. It came with no wiring instructions. It has three wires: red, black and white. I would guess that red is for 12 VDC, black is ground and white is the tach signal out wire. Before I hook it up, does any one else have the Vans tach transducer that has already hooked it up and can verify the wiring pinouts?

All three wires go to the back of the tach. Red goes to "I" terminal and +12v bus.
Black goes to "G" terminal and ground. White goes to "S" terminal.

All three wires go to the back of the tach. Red goes to "I" terminal and +12v bus.
Black goes to "G" terminal and ground. White goes to "S" terminal.

Thanks Mel!

I guess I should have added I dont have a separate tach. I am hooking the transducer up to a Dynon EMS-D10A. I will run the red to 12v, black to ground and the white to the dynon tach input.

I just had a very disappointing afternoon. I went to vans for a couple of things one of them being a tach transducer. I brought home the non vacuum pump version which ended up not working at all. Not that it?s broken it just doesn?t fit with my 90 degree oil filter adapter, seems to be a case of two things trying to fill the same space. I?m thinking my simplest solution will be to attach a fitting to the firewall and screw the transducer to it on the cabin side of the firewall; it?s almost a straight shot. I?ll have an automotive guy make me up a short cable to reach to the transducer. Anyone see a problem with this before I spend about four hours making the modification?

Using a cable is the way it is done. I think Vans sells a short tach cable for that purpose.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Go back to Vans

and buy their 12" tach extension cable. Discard the short 2" extension (looks like a long hex nut) and cable that came with the original transducer. I built a bracket to mount the transducer on a nearby engine mount tube above the right mag. While at Vans, buy another rubber crankcase vent hose and possibly another alum tube because you'll need to re-route the vent line around that oil filter, too.

ECI -9A,
Steve

Thanks Mel!

I guess I should have added I dont have a separate tach. I am hooking the transducer up to a Dynon EMS-D10A. I will run the red to 12v, black to ground and the white to the dynon tach input.

If using Vans tach. Gen. Be sure to set the Pulse/Rev on the EMS-10A to #4 so the EMS RPM matches the actual engine RPM. Press on. Dick Bentley

What's the difference between the two transducers Van's sells? one's "with vacuum pump" and the other is "without vac pump"... I guess I'd need the extension as well since I have the same 90 deg adapter..

Which one do I need/want?

WOW!! I feel like it's Christmas. Thank you all for such quick good relies. Makes me feel much better about things. Rat: I don't know what the difference is but I don't have a vacuum pump so I got the non vacuum pump version.

Last edited:
I don't have a vacuum pump, but I have a B & C 20 amp alternator on the vacuum pump pad.

Do I need the Vans tachometer transducer with the extension....or will the transducer without the extension fit.

I don't have a vacuum pump, but I have a B & C 20 amp alternator on the vacuum pump pad.

Do I need the Vans tachometer transducer with the extension....or will the transducer without the extension fit.
I've got a B&C 8 amp alternator on the vacuum pump pad, and Van's tach transducer wouldn't fit. I had to purchase the extension. I assume the 20 amp alternator is no smaller than the 8 amp one, so you almost certainly need the extension.

What's the difference between the two transducers Van's sells? one's "with vacuum pump" and the other is "without vac pump"... I guess I'd need the extension as well since I have the same 90 deg adapter..

Which one do I need/want?

The one that says "with vacuum pump" has a 12 inch extension cable on it so you can put the transducer on the firewall or bracket it to the engine mount tube. I have a B&C 20 amp on the vacuum pad, and I definitely needed the extension cable.

FYI you can get one made locally at any shop that does speedometer cables if you need a different length.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

I have a B&C 20 amp alternator on my vacuum pad so the standard Vans tachometer transducer will not fit. I have therefore opted for the Vans transducer with the 12" extension cable. I have attached a photo of the installation. You can see the cable highlighted with a red arrow.

In checking throught the archives I see that a number of builders who needed the extension cable have mounted the transducer on the engine mount.

In my photo you can see that I have temporarily taped my transducer to the engine mount to visualize the layout.

The problem with fixing the transducer on the engine mount is that the extension cable must change direction through almost 180 degrees. And I have a gut feeling that the drive core inside will not like that change in direction over an extended period of time.

I would therefore like to ask anyone who has the 12" extension and has fixed the transducer to the engine mount whether they have had success with this configuration for a reasonable period of time (+300 hours).

Alternatively I would also welcome comments from builders who have had operational success by fixing the transducer to the firewall (or even taken it right through the firewall).

Any photos of installations would of course be more than welcome.

Bob, you can make up a standoff bracket to put it on the firewall.

Bend up a piece of alum to an "L" , make one leg long enough to clear the diameter of the transducer when mounted to the bracket. Other leg rivets to FW. Real simple piece, use TLAR engineering.

The cable will then make a 90* bend only.

no pics

"Bob",
I used Vans belt drive alternator so I ran my 12" tach drive cable to the top right engine mount tube. This routing also permits easy access to the oil filter when using the ECI 90 degree adapter. I've got 152.0 hours on the plane so far without problems. My tach cable is bent somewhere between 90 and 180 degrees, though.
I know a -7 builder who ran the tach cable through the firewall but he's since changed it when he went "glass".

Steve

Back