What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire routing question

ge9a

Well Known Member
I'm trying to find a way to route some wiring up the side of the fuse and need a convenient place to get through the center section. I would prefer it to be "up high" instead of under the seat floor.

So does anyone have an opinion regarding drilling an additional hole in F-904C & D (center section, shown on Dwg 16) for a snap bushing for wire routing? I'd like to drill an add'l 5/8" hole about 2-1/2" above the existing hole for the rudder cable.

Would this be a bad idea? I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who may have had this thought before.

Thanks.

Same Question before I start cut'in

Same thing but on an RV7. At what point have you weakened the center section and the bulkhead behind the seat? I would like to run both the pitot and static lines along with the electrical along the sides.
There is a gap above the center section for wire and/or air lines but both would be a tight squeeze. In addition I would have to drop the electrical and tubes to find a clear path through the bulkhead behind the seatback due to the canopy latches.
The bottom would force all my electrical to pass the HP fuel line and pump. It also puts possible entanglements near the sticks base.

I have done the following for my wiring/plumbing routing:

ELT, strobe power, taillight are in the center tunnel section (along with manual trim cable in the other set of holes)

Strobe lines from flasher box to the wings are routed up each side through 1/4" bushings in the outer bay (where the flap pushrods go through the fuselage)

For static, I drilled an additional set of holes through all bulkheads including the forward side of the baggage bulkhead, then ran the tubing vertically up (pilot's side) to under the top of the upper armrest (don't know what this is offically called, but its the deck you step over in entering the cockpit). From here, it runs above the 904 center section bulkhead without a hole - there is plenty of room in the corner above the center section to run wiring and tubing - and then behind the panel.

I will route my com antenna cable on the passenger side above the 904 bulkhead, probably drill a 1/4" hole in the crossmember that the seats rest on, and continue the routing along that deck to behind the baggage. My antenna is on top, but you could easily put the cable to the bottom of the fuse from there as well.

Other electrical stuff I ran down either side of the fuselage from the panel (basically where the fuel vent is (in my case was, since I relocated that further forward) and through the 5/8" holes in the 904 and gear mounts then out into the wing. This includes wing lighting, nav wingtip antenna, and some other wing electrical stuff. If/when I put in a servo for autopilot, the wiring will go this route.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Sorry I cannot comment on additional holes in the 904, though I am aware of others who have done this.

FWIW, I also removed the snap bushings from the center holes in the 904 and put in a length of 5/8" OD irrigation tubing from near the firewall back through both center section members. I also put some of this tubing in various other places, including the wings. This makes snaking wiring MUCH easier.

Once I'm done with all the wiring, I plan to put spiral wrap around any bundles that might be accidentally caught on something (foot in the cockpit, etc.) and to keep them neat.

greg

wiring

Same thing but on an RV7. At what point have you weakened the center section and the bulkhead behind the seat? I would like to run both the pitot and static lines along with the electrical along the sides.
There is a gap above the center section for wire and/or air lines but both would be a tight squeeze. In addition I would have to drop the electrical and tubes to find a clear path through the bulkhead behind the seatback due to the canopy latches.
The bottom would force all my electrical to pass the HP fuel line and pump. It also puts possible entanglements near the sticks base.
If I were to do it again I would run conduit from the baggage bulkhead to the rear main spar under the floors between the last floor rib and side skins. On the 9A there is already an outboard 5/8 snap bushing in the outboard bay in the rear spar to run wiring/tubes. Currently I have my pitot, A/P steering wiring going through there and then up between the front and rear spar on the side skins underneath were the 'cap cover' goes then underneath the 721B armrest. More room than you think there, and a very gentle bend for the pitot line. You can put a bunch of wire inside that conduit and no problem feeding it through blind spots(baggage floor). FYI if you take your ELT that way do it FIRST due to the head on the telephone cord that goes to the remote. It barely fits through the snap bushing on it's own but one through the telephone cord does not take up much room.
Mike H 9A/8A

Back