What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: RV-9A larger nose gear modification

river

I have had several requests that I should post the details of my nose gear modification to use a RV-10 nose gear, so here goes. The reason I did the conversion was due to the lack of clearance between the ground and the nose fork nut as well as the wheel pants. This is not a factor when flying off of hard surfaces. I got about 1 1/4 inches more clearance after the modification, I was hoping for more, but it's better than it was. The gear leg is unchanged. I purchased a new RV 10 fork. It is exactly one inch taller than the 9a fork(at the main part of the fork where the gear leg goes through). I took this new fork to a local machine shop and had them remove one inch from the bottom portion of the fork. Removing one inch from the bottom rather than the top gives the most ground clearance. The hole in the fork where the gear leg goes through is larger in diameter so I had the guys at the machine shop cut me some new oilite bushings to make things fit. You will also need the part that mounts to the gear leg just above the fork, the part that the bearing rides against that has the little ears on it for travel stops, this needs to be bushed to fit the gear leg as well(you can use one of the original oilite bushings that came with your -9A fork, it fits perfectly, just trim off the shoulder). The nut and cup washers are the stock -9a parts. It uses the same size tire as the main tires used on all of Van's two seat models, 500x5. No change to the wheels. The stock -9a wheel pant will not fit.
The mains really weren't necessary. I found a tire that was one inch larger in diameter that would still fit on the stock wheels. In the end I only got 1/2 inch more clearance at the mains. My stock main wheel pants still fit nicely with these larger tires, I only had to trim the opening a little where the tire sticks out of the bottom of the pants.
The whole reason I did this was that on my very first taxi test with standard size tires and beautiful wheel pants, I hit a soft spot in the grass. Fortunately I was going very slowly, but it damaged my front wheel pant and upon closer inspection I could see that the nut on the bottom of the gear leg had contacted the ground. This could be catastrophic if done at take off or landing speeds. Since I have done the conversion I have not had any clearance problems. And, to be honest, this is the reason I am selling the plane. I have decided to find a tail dragger, something more suited for rough fields. I just hate the thought of hitting a really large soft spot, even with the larger gear, at higher speeds and what it will do to my brand new airplane. I hope this helps answer your questions. Again, in the end, I did not get as much extra clearance as I had hoped for but if it saves me from a collapsed nose gear and all of the damage an incident like that would cause, then it was well worth it.

I want to make it clear that this modification is untested by Van's aircraft, so, any builder wanting to make this modification is on his own. Any body concerned with tricycle geared airplanes on soft airstrips should consider a taildragger instead. I talked to Van's Aircraft about this today. They made it clear that they do not want builders trying to contact their venders to build a part for them that has not been designed and tested by Van's Aircraft.

http://lloydsplane.50megs.com/index.html

Lloyd

Last edited:
Loyd,

Have you finished the new fairing yet, and if so did you notice any kind of speed penalty with the larger nose wheel? Thank You for sharing the above information with us. Also how much weight do you think you added and is it noticable on flare?

Best,

Hello Bryan,
I have not purchased a new nose wheel fairing because I won't be using them as long as I am flying from this grass airstrip. With the -10 fork I would have to buy the -10 nose fairing, the -9a fairing simply won't fit. I still have the rear half of my original -9a fairing but, the front half was damaged.
I weighed the plane with the larger main and nose gear modification installed and with the two main wheel fairings in place, no nose wheel fairing. It's empty weight with the modification is 1070 using digital scales, weighing all gear at the same time(no bathroom scales). It is actually lighter than 1070 right now because I do not have any of the wheel pants on it. I can't really comment on performance issues because I have never flown it with the standard gear. It does, however, fly excellent. Plenty of HP and handles very sweet.

Lloyd

Group buy!... group buy!.... group buy! .........

Loyd,

How about shimmy? dit you notice any? with the larger fork and tire, the contact point of the tire will be slightly futher back I suppose? No effects on handling?

Can you let us know how we can contact this "guy" who makes the nose forks and as you said, was willing to make a larger size fork that will fit the 9A?

Hello 6/7/9"A" builders !!, how about a group buy? I can wait 2 months or so, to get it delivered!. I am sure Vans will take back the parts we no longer need (nose fork, wheel pant) It may not even cost more than the stock fork, who knows?

I bet there is a lot of builders out there, that get the "volt pole shivers" looking at their wheel/fork/nut combination. In combination with a "nut-skid-plate" the extra 1,1/4" clearance and larger tire may help a lot, preventing ending up, upside down!

Let us know what you are all thinking about this mod.

Regards, PilotTonny.

Hello Tony,
I do not have the contact info for this guy any more. I called Van's today but they made it very clear that they do not want this contact information to be given out because this modification has not been tested on their airplanes. It seems I may have really opened a can of worms with this one.
Lloyd

Hello Fin,
CORRECTION! I did not know that there was a change-untill this morning. My plans showed part # U-603-2, I took a look at Van's Service Bulletin that I just found out about and Mine is part number U-603-3. I measured the fork and it is 2.8 inches tall where the gear leg goes through.
I hope this helps,
Lloyd

Last edited:
There has been at least one other that has done a very similiar mod and still flipped his plane.

I would be very cautious using this as you are changing one part of a complete system that is designed to work together.

I am not against trying changes, just cautious about relatively untested design changes.

Wrong idea!

In the meantime, I figured out that the larger fork will put more load on the gearleg. This may make things worse! I am no longer a fan of a larger front tire and a larger fork. I made sure that I have enough clearance.

Regards, Tonny.

Back