VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-07-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Baggage Door Questions

I'm pleased how well the baggage door came out but I do have a few concerns about improving its basic design a bit. To prevent water from entering, I want to install a good seal around the door's sides and thought about using something like this: http://www.trimco.info/images/Illust...kets/S2123.jpg Is there a better alternative?

Also, Van's suggests "an optional closed cell foam" may be installed underneath the hinge....how exactly do you do that? Where do you get the foam and what type adhesive (if any) is used to afix it?

Finally, the door begs for some sort of strut to hold it open...what are builders using? Is there an off-the-shelf strut I can use?

Ideas, thoughts and pictures sought, especially from -8 builders who have been there and done that.

EAA Technical Counselor
Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 AM

Default From Jim Daniels Site

http://home.comcast.net/~jwdweb2/Finish7/finish7.html
Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 PM

Default baggage door holding device

Rick: I installed a "spring thing" on my Baron's baggage door, and it works great. Check it out on performanceaero.com. Basically, it is just a long spring
with a thin cable though it, which attaches at either end to the door and to the airframe. When the door is raised, the spring holds it open; to close the door, you simply grasp it midways, tug, and the thing folds over, allowing you to lower and close the hatch. IMHO, it looks better than the hardware store device., and it is relatively inexpensive.
Tom Navar
RV-8QB
Working on flaps
Old 11-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Default Gas spring

Larry Bowens website has a link in the archives from McMaster Carr for a gas spring that works.

Redline Air Shows
http://www.redlineairshows.com

Upgrade your RV from "Steam" to "Glass"
http://www.redlinethegoal.com
Old 11-08-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Navar View Post
Rick: I installed a "spring thing" on my Baron's baggage door, and it works great...... . IMHO, it looks better than the hardware store device., and it is relatively inexpensive.
Tom .....
Thanks for the really great tip Tom! I ordered the "Spring Thing" yesterday right after I read your post....http://tinyurl.com/3543uc....and received it less than an hour ago. It took all of 15 minutes to install and works perfectly.

Now if I can just get answers for my other two questions.

Thanks again.

[/url][/url]
EAA Technical Counselor

Last edited by Rick6a : 11-08-2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: photo & url
Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Rick, looks cool.

I had a similar setup on the baggage door on my Stinson, worked great.

One word of caution, put some anti-chafe covering on it-------clear vinal tubing worked for me, the spring can really mar aluminum.
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-08-2007, 02:25 PM

Default I am not sure you need anything...

My RV-8 with a standard Van's baggage door seemed to be completely waterproof. When I flew it in the rain and in the clouds I never got a hint of water in there. I did get some water into the cockpit via the NACA vent though.

I like the spring thing idea. My RV-8 had a simple chain that kept the door from opening too far (when fully open it was overcenter on the hinge thus keeping it open). This was a fairly poor idea since even a slight wind would close the door (usually when I had my head in there).

One thing to think about is the door opening in flight. It happened to me once. It is not a traumatic event (in fact it stays closed until you slow down then it slowly opens almost magically). I thought about an idiot light on the panel but ended up just adding a checklist item to my run-up: "visually ensure that the baggage door is closed and locked".
RV-8 (500 hours, sold Sept 07)
Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM

Rick,

I just used some standard household grey closed cell foam that is used for weatherproofing a window, etc. I had to double the standard size up to get the thickness though. It just goes in the door hinge U channel stiffener and basically serves to keep water from getting past the eyelets in the hinge.

I have had my RV out on the ramp for overnites in stormy weather and have flown through rain and never had a hint of water entering the compartment.

For my prop rod, I used the Jim Daniel method and just painted the fake brass thingamajig black to make me feel better.

Ditto for me on the anti-chafe tape - I used it on all the surfaces that overlap (fore and aft and where it overlaps the fuselage side) as otherwise you do get some paint rubbing.
RV-8 N908RV
400 hours since First Flight - 4/16/06
completed, flying and enjoying it way too much

http://www.taildraggersinc.com/Galle...8RV_Flying.htm
Old 11-08-2007, 03:41 PM

I used a McMaster strut and set it up so it holds the door open, and when closed, tends to hold it closed with an over center type of mount.

Works great, but the 5 lb strut is maybe a little too weak

I got the idea off the web, but cannot remember which RV-8 builder I borrowed it from

"Miss Sue"

RV-8 80749 slow build taildragger
7.5 year build first flight Dec 2005
passed 500 hours coming home from OSHKOSH 2013
N68AK
Watkinsville, Georgia
Old 11-08-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
My RV-8 with a standard Van's baggage door seemed to be completely waterproof. When I flew it in the rain and in the clouds I never got a hint of water in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N908RV View Post
....Ditto for me on the anti-chafe tape - I used it on all the surfaces that overlap (fore and aft and where it overlaps the fuselage side) as otherwise you do get some paint rubbing.
Guys,

Are we comparing apples to apples here? Your posts make me wonder if the design has slightly changed. The kit, received March past may be different than yours.....maybe my kit incorporates a redesign in that area because so many builders experienced difficulty fitting the door. You see, there is NO fore and aft overlap.....only along the bottom edge does the door overlap. There is no need for anti-chafe tape along the sides because when the door is closed, a small gap remains between the door and the skin. I have to believe that when exposed to a serious driving downpour, rain can and will surely enter into the baggage area. After all, a gap is a gap is a gap...is it not?

EAA Technical Counselor