What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D.C. ?living? - Making the best of it

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
When I discovered I would be living and working in the D.C. area for at least a year, I wasn?t sure it would be worth bringing my RV along. Hanger space is expensive, if you can even find a place. Thanks to help received through this forum, I did find a hanger ?only? 50 miles from my home for ?only? 3+ times the cost I was used to paying. Then there are the airspace hassles. More money to buy a Garmin 396 and the monthly XM Weather subscription helps me cope with those issues. With all these extra fixed costs expenses, I figure I better fly the heck out of the plane to make keeping it worthwhile.

This last weekend, I headed up to Plattsburgh, NY, to visit good friends and see a part of the country I had never visited. The direct route would have taken me directly over downtown D.C., so I plotted a course around the ADIZ and added three waypoints to the GPS. The next day, the announcement came that Camp David?s P40 restricted zone was expanding for the weekend and another waypoint went into the flight plane. Thank goodness for a GPS that displays the current TFRs, etc.

The fall colors are still near peak in the D.C. area and into Pennsylvania, leading to a beautiful trip up. As I flew along, I recognized some of the areas as prime examples of plunging folds and water gaps. Spectacular geology and a clear day. It was one of those times that I was grateful for the decision to keep the plane, despite the costs. And, the decision to fly the plane as much as I can manage, despite the hassles.

As the trip continued, I flew over the Adirondack Preserve and saw Lake Placid for the first time. Then, a rapid descent into Plattsburgh International. I had posted a request for information on the area airports and received only confusing information. But, the confusion actually proved helpful as it prompted me to call ahead and learn that the Clinton County airport was all but closed and the Plattsburgh International is ramping up. (In fact, a NOTAM appeared over the weekend declaring a ban on transient traffic landing at Clinton County.) By calling ahead, I was promised a hanger for the cost of a tie-down ($7.50/night) as the tie-downs aren?t set up yet. What a bargain!

What a joy to be able to visit friends several states away on a very easy weekend trip, and still have time for a oil change and movie after returning. I?m glad I brought the RV along for the move. It?s certainly expanded my experiences here in the East. I may go through some serious withdrawals next month when the plane is down for a month or two for its panel/interior upgrade.

Photos from the trip are available at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/DrKarst/PlattsburghTripNovember2007

Louise,

Presumably, you had no problem with the 11,758' runway at Plattsburgh. :)

Back in the good 'ol days, aircraft were launched off that runway (I believe there were 2 then) at 15 second intervals. The place really rocked when the claxon went off. It was a SAC (Strategic Air Command) base in the 60's.

Plattsburgh was my first assignment out of flight school. I spent 3 winters there back when it got cold, not like today with global warming and rarely a snow fall. Dozens of prop driven KC-97's required round the clock engine heat in the winter in order to get off the ground in 2-3 minutes. There were even more B-47's - all had a one way mission toward Russia. The "cold war" got mighty warm during the Cuban missile crisis. We were certain the place would get nuked and everyone sent their families elsewhere for weeks. Our navigator had a lake staked out in northern Canada where we planned to spend the war after we ditched an out-of-fuel tanker. The mission called for off loading everything to the bombers with just enough fuel to clear the track. Things were a bit tense until the Russians did a 180 with their ships headed for Cuba.

Who would have thought the base would be a destination for an RV some 40+ years later. No bombers, no tankers, no missiles (there were many silos in the area) and no crews hanging out in the "bull pen" waiting for the war to begin. Times have changed, we must be at peace with the rest of the world - or are we? :(

It is good to enjoy an RV and there are so many ways to do it. Glad you had a safe trip across the Adirondacks and Catskills. Those small mountains can be treacherous at times.

Nice!

OK, I'm not going to feel sorry for you...you've got a whole lot better color, and the visibility was MUCH better for your trip than it was for mine this weekend....Texas is still under the summer haze influence....

You're right - there ARE advantages to having the plane up there, and you found some prety nice scenery!

OK, I'm not going to feel sorry for you...you've got a whole lot better color, and the visibility was MUCH better for your trip than it was for mine this weekend....Texas is still under the summer haze influence....
Yes, it was hazy, but it was a fantastic weekend to be flying in Texas....

Nice trip report, Louise. Thanks for the photos!

TODR

Immigrated there

This writeup sure brings back some oh-so fond memories. We immigrated from Rhodesia in late 1961 through Canada at Rouses Point and came to Plattsburgh where my Dad served as a Church of God pastor. I was fresh out of high school at 16 then.

It was a dream come true to be in America with a legal green card....so very blessed we were/are to be in this great, wonderful country and Plattsburgh is where it all began.

Thanks for sharing, Louise,

Plattsburgh today and yesterday

I'm really glad my report brought back good memories for a couple of folks. Plattsburgh and the region are beautiful, but I would have problems dealing with the cold. I can't quite imagine growing up in Rhodesia and being plopped into Plattsburgh as a teenager! Brrrrrrr.

I probably should have added that the FBO at PBG was great. Very comfortable lounge, meet me on the ramp and gave me a ride to/from the building, and free coffee/chocolate/tea and candy.

Worse....

I'm really glad my report brought back good memories for a couple of folks. Plattsburgh and the region are beautiful, but I would have problems dealing with the cold. I can't quite imagine growing up in Rhodesia and being plopped into Plattsburgh as a teenager! Brrrrrrr.

......Remember the seasons are reversed as well. We left on Dec. 20th in the middle of summer, around 90 degrees and Plattsburgh was in the teens in the middle of Winter. Mom caught pneumonia four times in three years and I often saw -30 or worse. You could spit on the ground and before you could put your foot on it, it would be ice.

Nevertheless, a beautiful part of the USA.

Thanks again,

Mom caught pneumonia four times in three years and I often saw -30 or worse. You could spit on the ground and before you could put your foot on it, it would be ice.

My friends commented that Plattsburgh is the only place they have lived where everyone knows that -40 degrees is the same in both celsius and fahrenheit. Why does everyone know this? Well, not because they are only 22 miles from Canada!

Panel Upgrade

Louise

Nice pics of the trip. I wouldn't worry about taking the plane down that long. Just tell Paul he only has 2 weeks to finish when you drop the plane off in Htown for the Panel Upgrade!

Thanks for the trip update. My pot stirring is done here. :D

Hey Louise,

Glad you are finding some enjoyment living in the DC area. Did you spot any corn mazes yet. With CAP we fly Cadet orientation flights and that's one of the things I like picking out for them. The colors this time of year are great around here. One of my favorite flights in this area is a fall flight to 2G4 just North of Deep Creek Lake. I come in from the South and fly up the lake just past Wisp ski area to the airport located on the top of a ridge.

I spent a few years in the Adirondacks and Lake Placid area and can't wait to see it from the air. Went to school at Paul Smith's and Plattsburg was the closest mall. It was our day trips to sanity from the wilds. The picture you took with Mirror Lake and Lake Placid in the background had the Ski Jumps in it just to the lower right of center. You can just barely pick them out. Many years ago I helped cater parties at the top of the 90M ski jump. Believe it or not there is a huge party room at the top of it.

Don't be too hard on Whiteface Ski area. It has a 3400' vertical drop which tops most Western ski resorts and all Eastern ones and is also one of the toughest to ski. I spent many days freezing my butt off on that mountain. A warm January/February day there is in the -10f range. But alas I've gotten older and wiser and now prefer the mellow easy to ski soft powder and warmth of Western skiing.

How would that work?

Louise

Nice pics of the trip. I wouldn't worry about taking the plane down that long. Just tell Paul he only has 2 weeks to finish when you drop the plane off in Htown for the Panel Upgrade!

Glad you enjoyed the photos. But, Paul's the supervisor and I'm the labor and apprentice on the panel project. How the job going to get done if I only dropped it off? :confused:

So that's where they are!

The picture you took with Mirror Lake and Lake Placid in the background had the Ski Jumps in it just to the lower right of center. You can just barely pick them out.

Thanks, Mike. I wondered where the ski jumps were as I flew by and I didn't pick them out. And, no, I haven't noted a corn maze yet. But, there are some great places to fly around here.

Louise, I'm heading to D.C. for the first time this weekend as a guest of the
1st Cavalry Vietnam vets for their reunion. I'm quite looking forward to it, I don't have to worry about getting lost and fighting traffic as they are supposed to keep me out of trouble.

As far as -40 temps I lived in Yellowknife NWT for 10 years. -40 was the norm for about a month and a half in the winter. I was used to balmy Nova Scotia when I moved there so it was quite a shock. As I reflect on those days I'm glad to have had that experience.

Glad you enjoyed the photos. But, Paul's the supervisor and I'm the labor and apprentice on the panel project. How's the job going to get done if I only dropped it off? :confused:

That's right....this is Louise's learning project - gotta get her up to speed for the next plane that she wants us build! :D

Last edited:
Missile Silo Base now an Airpark (Link to Website Below)

One of the Silo Bases is now an airpark. A home has been built above the silo and can be entered from the home (I have been in it). The missile control room is now a family room!! The silo was filled with water for many years and is now dry. The name of the airpark is Adirondack Estates Airpark -N17. Check out the website.
http://www.ny17.com/id8.htm

Back