What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Folding wing RV-4

Boy that would sure help out putting it into the hanger.

As best as I can tell the number is N703AF, but I can't find a registration for it.

Kent

Navy/Carrier RV-4?

Would love to see the details on this. Would make trailering to/from airport practical! Who DOES these things?

AHH!! Gives me goose bumps to think about flying in something that has folding wings, that wasn't designed to! I wonder if someone should tell him his ELT is in sideways, and baby blue doesn't go with candy apple red. =)

AHH!! Gives me goose bumps to think about flying in something that has folding wings, that wasn't designed to! I wonder if someone should tell him his ELT is in sideways, and baby blue doesn't go with candy apple red. =)

The ELT mounting allows activation for side impact after one wing folds on departure after takeoff. :eek:

Hey, he said it's priced below market.... what did you expect an Art Chard masterpiece? :D

Yea, those colors are horrible together. And I couldn't live witht the baby blue interior either.

That folding mechanism is different than the mustang aero one. On the mustang, the wing twists and lays back against the fuselage. On the RV-4, it folds straight up like a Corsair. It certainly wouldn't fit under the wing of a C-150 like the mustang II did.

Karl

I have pics of this airplane folding mechanism

I have pics of this serial number aircraft with the wing folded at the attachment point.. If you email me... I'll email you the pic.. I'm at work and cannot post it in the forum.. my personal computer is at home.. sorry.. if someone could post it for me I can email it to you..
best
Brian Wallis

I have pics of this serial number aircraft with the wing folded at the attachment point.. If you email me... I'll email you the pic.. I'm at work and cannot post it in the forum.. my personal computer is at home.. sorry.. if someone could post it for me I can email it to you..
best
Brian Wallis

Brian, can you post those pics?

Blind leading the blind!

I own the RV-4 in question and its funny to see how much people know about a plane that they have never seen in person. The colors might not match but it runs and flies great. It has a Lycoming 0-290D2 engine and in spite of the many knowledgeable posts the elt is mounted the right way. If anyone is really interested in how the wings fold I have more info and pictures

Brian

I was wondering how long it would take to hear from the owner... almost guaranteed since we were "bashing" his plane. Sorry about being harsh with my comments. The one one the color was my personal opinion but the one on how the wings fold seems pretty evident.

The FAA registration says the plane has a Subaru and is based in Oregon City. OR. Are you a different owner than registered or did you recently move to Idaho?

Karl

Welcome

If anyone is really interested in how the wings fold I have more info and pictures

Brian

Hi Brian and welcome here. I'd love to see the pictures of the attach points if you have some. Who did the design engineering on the points?

Regards,

How about the performance on that O-290

I own the RV-4 in question and its funny to see how much people know about a plane that they have never seen in person. The colors might not match but it runs and flies great. It has a Lycoming 0-290D2 engine and in spite of the many knowledgeable posts the elt is mounted the right way. If anyone is really interested in how the wings fold I have more info and pictures

Brian

For what it's worth, I didn't even notice the color. I was too intriged by the wing and the O-290.

Can't wait to see details on the wing, but what I'm even more interested in is what climb and cruise performance you get with that O-290? What's the fuel burn?

Man, talk about cheap fun. An RV you can keep at home, that doesn't gulp $50 worth of fuel an hour!

Brian

Just like you only hear from the 1% of people having a problem with something while the 99% who don't are silent. That is the beauty and the problem with any forum. Everybody has an opinion, people are faceless, and those opinions start flowing. I think that is part of the fun too as long as nobody gets hurt!
Please follow up with more information about your airplane. I have seen a ground swell recently on this site in regard to lighter, lower horsepower ships that I find intriguing. I love my 180HP RV6, but I spend a lot of time, burning a lot of gas, going nowhere fast.
PS- I like your airplane!

Brian

More info and pictures would be appreciated Brian, thanks.

Mike

I registered the plane about 6 weeks ago but it has not yet been updated by the FAA. The plane cruises at 160mph and climbs at 2000ft/min (solo) while burning about 6 gallons an hour. The wing was designed and tested by Jerry Hook. They fold in under 15min with a phillips screw driver, 1/2 socket and ratchet, and 1/4" allen wrench. I can't figure out how to post pictures but I can e-mail pictures of the attach points to those with interest.

Brian

I registered the plane about 6 weeks ago but it has not yet been updated by the FAA. The plane cruises at 160mph and climbs at 2000ft/min (solo) while burning about 6 gallons an hour. The wing was designed and tested by Jerry Hook. They fold in under 15min with a phillips screw driver, 1/2 socket and ratchet, and 1/4" allen wrench. I can't figure out how to post pictures but I can e-mail pictures of the attach points to those with interest.

Brian

Impressive figures Brian.

"They fold in under 15min with a phillips screw driver, 1/2 socket and ratchet, and 1/4" allen wrench. I can't figure out how to post pictures..."

That sounds like a pretty slick mechanism, sure like to see it. I haven't ever posted any pics here either so I cant be of much help but I did see this post that might help.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1696

Mike

Back