What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FRG Tower Midair Collision Radio Transmission

Tonard Bales

Well Known Member
Here is the link to the actual radio transmission of the midair collision at Farmingdale,NY's Republic Airport last Sunday. As a pilot who has flown for over fifteen years from FRG I can say that this was a "typical" Sunday at this very busy GA airport. Very nice job by the controller and the two pilots involved. Everybody lived to talk about it.
http://www.avweb.com/other/FRG_MidAir_TowerAudio.mp3

Wow, very interesting.

And exciting to listen to.
Is there any followup on what happened or pictures of the planes?

Kent

wow

goosebumps....

Did I hear a stundent pilot taxing out for first solo touch and go's after the accident?

jeff

....and the NY times

Comments:
At October 22, 2007 12:35 AM , New York Times said...

Two small planes collided in midair over Long Island last night but sustained only minor damage and landed safely at Republic Airport in East Farmingdale, an airport spokesman said. No one was hurt.
The accident occurred shortly after 6 p.m. over Dix Hills, a few miles northeast of the airport, as the two single-engine planes were preparing to land, said the spokesman, Gary Lewi.
"They were very lucky," Mr. Lewi said. "It was more a bump than a collision."
The cause of the accident was unclear. A spokeswoman for the National Transportation Safety Board said that Federal Aviation Administration representatives went to the scene last night to begin an investigation.
Mr. Lewi said one plane, a Cessna 172, carried only its pilot; the other, a Piper Saratoga, had a pilot and passenger. Their names were not released.
One plane's wingtip and part of a landing light fell from the sky and bounced off a home under construction nearby, said Larry Feld, chief of the Dix Hills Fire Department.
The Cessna had wing and windshield damage, while the Saratoga lost 8 to 12 inches from a wing, rupturing a fuel tank, Mr. Lewi said. That tank leaked upon landing, but the spill was quickly cleaned up, he said. Republic is a state-owned general-aviation airport used by privately owned small planes, corporate jets and charter flights.

The media always has to get something wrong.

NYT said 172, but it was a 152.

Interesting there was damage to the windshield, right wing tip and you can see buckling damage on the left wing where the strut connects. It also looks like the right aileron is almost completely gone.

The 152 driver was very luck to be able to control the plane with that kind of damage.

Kent

NYT said 172, but it was a 152.

Interesting there was damage to the windshield, right wing tip and you can see buckling damage on the left wing where the strut connects. It also looks like the right aileron is almost completely gone.

The 152 driver was very luck to be able to control the plane with that kind of damage.

Kent

From the damage it looks like a high-wing not seeing the low-wing (or vice-versa) situation.

Indeed both pilots very lucky to have gotten out of that one. Very sobering.

jeeez, and right in the middle of the emergency some idiot does not get the atis, and requests a straight in!:eek:

goosebumps....

Did I hear a stundent pilot taxing out for first solo touch and go's after the accident?

jeff

I caught that too ... honestly, as a student pilot, I might have been that oblivious myself. The controller handled it pretty well though - just asked the guy to taxi back and he did (after the second time).

It is just a wild guess.

From the damage it looks like a high-wing not seeing the low-wing (or vice-versa) situation.

Indeed both pilots very lucky to have gotten out of that one. Very sobering.

And could be all wrong.

If the wheels of the Saratoga contacted the Cessna at the top of the cabin and the other wheel hit the top of the right wing at the strut location and then the left wing tip of the cessna also hit the Saratoga's wing, all without much energy.

Anyone ever play Twister?:D

Kent

Wow ... glad everyone walked away. It could have gone much worse for all involved. I can't imagine that the 152 was any fun to fly with that much drag from the windshield cracked.

TODR

Midair

What a cool and competent controller. Sure hope he's on if I'm ever in trouble! Congrats also to the pilots, who remained cool and functioned very well under a lot of stress - especially the 152 fellow. Well done to all. Bill

Cool and calm controller

I believe the controller is one of the guys who was originally fired by Reagan and rehired after many years. He obviously enjoys his job as he is never grumpy (even on crazy weekends). I moved my Cessna 150 to uncontrolled Brookhaven Airport last year after many years at FRG. I got tired of being number 10 for departure and/or circling outside the Class C while allowing for departures. It means a 1/2 hour drive instead of ten minutes but I more than make up for the time by coming and going with ease. With that said I believe that training in that environment has made me a better pilot. Flying at 500 feet along the beach below JFK's air airspace (in contact with Kennedy tower) and talking to approach from lesson one can't be a bad thing.

When I get a chance, this would be a good series of communications to diagram on a whiteboard to figure out where everybody was and what they were doing.

personally, my jaw dropped when a guy in a lear -- LEAR -- makes his first call to the tower 6 miles out. 6 miles out???? Is that normal? Doesn't sound like the tower knew he was coming. I know in my (rented) slow Warrior, my CFI told me make the first call about 8 miles out.

I recall when I was learning how to fly -- it wasn't that long ago -- I was on downwind at St. Paul in a 182 and I heard a Citation call in 10 miles out. I thought, "10 miles out, awwww he's not problem."

I had been cleared to turn base at my discretion and land and a minute or so later the tower says "N-whatever-the-heck-my-number-was, you've got the Citation right in front of you, right? " (two runways at STP form a "V"; very weird place)

Approach Control probably switched the Citation to tower a little close in, but for aircraft on IFR flight plans, (even in VFR conditions) they are usually handed off somewhere around or before they get to the Outer Marker/FAF.

If there are any Controllers out there, can you confirm?

Happened to me once - I was on maybe 1.5 mile final into Love Field (Dallas) in a Mooney M20C when a Lear25 called in at 4 miles very fast. Tower had me hold high on final and I landed close behind the Lear in a definite high-blood-pressure short final. Luckily he went long and I was able to drop in hard close to the numbers to avoid wake with a left cross.

Airports are dangerous

Most mid airs near airports on clear days, right?

Bet one of those poor man traffic alert systems in one or both planes would have saved the day.

Back