What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing bolts

N941WR

Legacy Member
I'm not sure where to post this so I'll just dump it here and the moderators can move it, if they wish.

Back in the beginning of July when my wings were installed at the airport I had lots of help from other RV builders and tech inspectors. Everyone looked over the installation and said it all was good, go forth and aviate. Aviate I did.

Today I was helping a friend bolt the wings on his -7A and after installing the four big bolts and four small bolts he asked for two AN4-13A bolts for the wing spars. I commented that my -9 didn't have these two extra bolts. He replied, "Are you sure?" Back in my hanger, I pulled the drawings out and sure enough, the -9 also uses two AN4-13 bolts per side. Off came the seat pans and wouldn't you know it, those bolts were missing.

The installing was a non-event, which tells me the center section has not been deformed in the 60 hours it has flown.

I post this because it makes me wonder how many other -7 & -9's (-8's?) are out there flying without these bolts.

DAR

Wow, the DAR missed something as important as missing wing bolts?!?!

A DAR cannot review kit plans for every kit plane type and verify every bolt is in place. That's a builders task. I will bet the DAR did make sure the BIG bolts were in place though. Torque specs are also a builder task. The DAR is not going to put a torque wrench on every bolt either. I guess the lesson here is if you have extra bolts in a subkit bag, identify them and review the breakdown sheet until you find where they go.

Plate nuts were installed?

Bill,​

If you only had to install the bolts, I guess you did have the plate nuts installed on the wing spars during the wing construction?, or did you use lock-nuts instead? (that must be difficult, ones the wings are installed)

Regards, PilotTonny.

Wow, the DAR missed something as important as missing wing bolts?!?!
No DAR, the FAA did my inspection. He just circled the plane and went straight to the paperwork. Still there must have been five RV guys helping and all of us missed these four bolts.

Bill,​

If you only had to install the bolts, I guess you did have the plate nuts installed on the wing spars during the wing construction?, or did you use lock-nuts instead? (that must be difficult, ones the wings are installed)

Regards, PilotTonny.
The plate nuts were installed way back when I worked on the spar, so all I had to do was put the bolts in and torque them.

I installed those bolts together with the other ones. However, I was in the frame of mind that they would need to be tapped in as the other ones did. After tapping for a while and not getting anywhere, I was puzzled. Then I looked closer..........the nutplates you dumba**! You're hitting the nutplates!

bolts

Hmmmm.. Looking at my 9A and fail to see those bolts you are referring to. Looks like I missed them too. Maybe I am blind, but where are those things supposed to go anyway?? Do they insert from the aft side of the spar box??

Thanks...Chris

Hmmmm.. Looking at my 9A and fail to see those bolts you are referring to. Looks like I missed them too. Maybe I am blind, but where are those things supposed to go anyway?? Do they insert from the aft side of the spar box??

Thanks...Chris
Chris,

They are positioned vertically between the top and bottom rows of bolts. When the wings are installed, they are hard to spot but if you feel down there you will find the holes.

They are in on the outside edge of the spare box and go in from the rear. These should be checked along with the other wing bolts and the control linkage during the annual condition inspection. Two bolts inserted horizontally in a vertical pattern that engage the nutplates fastened to the wingspar web and doubler. Look on plan 11 for 7s. You need to remove the front seat floor plates to see the bolts. Unless you have a video probe.

Roberta

bolts

Thanks Guys!! I missed them totally. Nutplates invisible from the top with gear weldment in place. I'll bet there are a few others out there missing as well!!

Thanks again...Chris

Thanks Guys!! I missed them totally. Nutplates invisible from the top with gear weldment in place. I'll bet there are a few others out there missing as well!!

Thanks again...Chris

Actually the nut plates are not visable once the wings are installed in the fuselage (unless you have the seat pans removed and use a very small mirror down inside the fuselage center section and look outboard). The nutplates are attached to the front side of the wing spar web at the location of the heavy aluminum block that acts as a spar web stiffener.

Pass the word. Be sure and check that these bolts get installed during final assembly.
These bolts are present on RV-7, 8, and 9's

Thanks again...Chris
That would be the reason for the post (and this forum).

Thanks Radomir for pointing them out to me on Sunday!

Good find!

Looks like we have more nuts, than we do bolts on this forum.

Sorry, I just can't resist a good fastener joke:D

Here you Go

DWG 11

2006347580255726148_rs.jpg

Back