What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dawn Patrol - Big Bend Ranch State Park

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
After a fun and successful LOE, Louise and I decided that since we had already crossed the great expanse of West Texas, we might as well stay out there a few more days and visit the spot where we met - Big Bend Ranch State Park. This time, in contrast to the February visit with a group of other RV'ers, we decided to stay in the "big House", renting one of the three bedrooms (the one we stayed in might have been the Master when occupied by the former ranch owners) and enjoying the great food and friendly nature of the park staff. It turned out that we were the only guests there for the three days we stayed, and therefore we had the entire house to ourselves, and felt very much like we living at our own comfortable wilderness retreat.

This trip included an all-day horseback ride out into the hinter-lands of the park, a nice lazy day of hiking and just sitting, and a little "dawn patrol" flying to see some of the geological features from overhead in the calm morning air. We took a lot of pictures, but also experimented with the video feature of my now-aging Canon SD400, capturing a flight around the interior of the Solitario (a 10-mile diameter collapsed volcanic dome) and out through a canyon that drains the crater to the south. We also shot a little video of the landing at the BBRSP airstrip - a nice paved runway about half a mile from the ranch headquarters. We also shot a lot of still pictures, but are still doing some organizing - we'll add them here when we pick a few out.

All in all, a fabulous way to unwinds from the hectic visiting of LOE, and a remarkably scenic and secluded hide-away. We are talking about organizing another group trip, but have a lot on our schedules - we'll let folks know when we decide to go again! Maybe....:rolleyes:

Solitario Video

Landing at BBRSP Video

Last edited:
Saving your money, Paul?

First of all....nice write up!

But it got me to thinking...............at the rate you are flying, you'd better start saving those pennies! You'll be due for a major overhaul before too much longer :p :p (but wait until you are married and you two can both 'split' the expense with "household funds") :D

Thanks again for the write-up and video. They are always awesome!

Take care,

I really want to get there this fall (it is fall now, at least in N TX - I drove to work today with the AC off ;)) since I missed the trip earlier this year. The Dino is in Alliance, NE waiting for me to get time off from work and WX to align so I can bring it back to ADS.

How were the temps?

TODR

New Panel

Louise

Just think.... if you wait until the wedding you can split that new panel as well. :D

Great write ups to both of you. Just could not resist stirring the pot like Gary.

The 7:10 Javalina still Runs!

Finally got around to uploading a few more of my pictures from the trip....for those of you who were with us in February, you might remember "the 7:10 Javalina" that made it's way each evening between the Bunkhouse and the fire pit. Well, you'll be happy to know that the BBRSP Rapid Transit System still runs, and although they appear to still be on summer time (current schedule appears to be at 6:42 pm), they still run regular routes through the ranch compound. (The summer route seems to be around the east side of the bunkhouse)

IMG_1732.JPG

More pictures from horseback trips and hikes can be found here:

http://http://picasaweb.google.com/Ironflight/2007_10_07BBRSPMiscellaneousPictures

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Back