What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Baffle Ignition Wire Seals

USCANAM

Well Known Member
Saw some plastic baffle ignition wire seals on an older Piper that would work well on my -9. It appeared that you would drill about an 1.25" dia. hole in the baffle, and this part would open for the two ignition wires, then fit into the hole after you closed the fitting around the wires. It was secured to the baffle by screws and nuts on two lugs that were molded into the fitting.
It appeared to be a Piper part
Has anyone seen these, or know where to obtain something like it.
Thanks
Jack

Saw some plastic baffle ignition wire seals on an older Piper that would work well on my -9. It appeared that you would drill about an 1.25" dia. hole in the baffle, and this part would open for the two ignition wires, then fit into the hole after you closed the fitting around the wires. It was secured to the baffle by screws and nuts on two lugs that were molded into the fitting.
It appeared to be a Piper part
Has anyone seen these, or know where to obtain something like it.
Thanks
Jack
A pair are normally included in a hardware bag that comes with a new Lycoming. This one was installed yesterday. I used the part as a hole template. Using a unibit, I drilled two 3/4" holes next to each other then filed away the waste to square the hole off.

nevermind, as someone has responded with pics...

edit again:

In a post about a week ago, these parts were available from Aircraft Spruce. The post had a link to the part number, as they said it was a bit hard to find.

L.Adamson

Last edited:
Rick
The Lycoming ones seem like the ones that I saw. I'll try to go that route.
I saw the ones from Spruce before, and called them. The 2 hole ones didn't open, and I didn't want the ones with 3 holes.
Thanks for the reply and photos. Nice job
Jack
N99552

They are in two pieces

Rick
The Lycoming ones seem like the ones that I saw. I'll try to go that route.
I saw the ones from Spruce before, and called them. The 2 hole ones didn't open, and I didn't want the ones with 3 holes.
Thanks for the reply and photos. Nice job
Jack
N99552

My Aircraft Spruce ones look exactly like the Lycoming ones in the above photo, but are a baby blue color.

The 2 hole one is in two pieces and does close around the wires...
I think this is what you refer to by "didn't open"....

They do open and snap together around the wires....

gil A

Thanks For The Help

Now that I knew what and where to look for thanks to this forum, I called Jeff at Penn Yan Aero where they built my Superior Experimental engine, and there are two in the mail on the way to me. In this case they are a Slick part that the parts manager found in the shop for me.
Gil, the one I was referring to was the real cheap two hole model, that the salesperson at Spruce claimed that it did not open.
Thanks again for the help. One less problem!!
Jack
N99552

Last edited:
Salesperson...

Gil, the one I was referring to was the real cheap two hole model, that the salesperson at Spruce claimed that it did not open.
Thanks again for the help. One less problem!!
Jack
N99552

I think maybe the saleperson didn't know how to snap them apart....:)

They sort of look one piece when assembled....

gil A

the ones from spruce

just for a data point: the ones from spruce are a two piece design that can be had in two or three hole design. the are very similar to the ones shown here. they list as 5 mm or something like that and are pictured black but they look nothing like the ones in the photo in their book. they fit the red wires on the slicks perfectly.. they requir two 3/4 inch over lapping holes from a unibit and work like a dream. http://jeffsrv-7a.com/ENGINE/06-04-07.htm several other views on the link..thanks jeff.

Last edited:
the blue ones are okay from ACS but they look and feel like they're made in China compared to the heavier ones natural colored ones pictured first.

But if Gil likes em they gotta be good! ;)

....they requir two 3/4 inch over lapping holes from a unibit and work like a dream......
wireste450rk8.jpg

Though your cutout does look elegant, you won't be able to pass the nut attached to the ignition wire through until you square the hole.

A pair are normally included in a hardware bag that comes with a new Lycoming. This one was installed yesterday. I used the part as a hole template. Using a unibit, I drilled two 3/4" holes next to each other then filed away the waste to square the hole off.

Does anyone have a part number and a source for these lycoming ingnition wire seals?

Wire seals

The part you have pictured can be obtained from Aircraft Spruce. Their part number is 08-06133 but is pricey at about $20. There is also a cheaper one for about $6 from Spruce but it is out of stock.

For the price of the Skick seal, I'd either go with two singles or the triple and seal off a hole.

Surely someone here has a few laying around they'd unload for less.

Back