What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360 Mixture Cable

Rick6a

Well Known Member
The FWF kit for the IO-360 includes two CT Q-60 quadant cables. One is to be used for the throttle and the other for the mixture. Both are 60" long. I routed the cables per plans long before the engine was installed. The throttle cable length was okay and installed just fine. Ditto for the (shorter) prop governor cable. The mixture cable seems to be way too long. I contacted Van's days ago and still no response. It seems that instead of being 60" long, the mixture cable should be about 52" long if it is to mate adequately with the VA-163 mixture bracket. Has anyone else run into this problem?

I reviewed Van's website and the CT Q-60 is called out to be used in this application. Something is not right. Why would a 60" long cable be specified for use here?

engine07930edituh9.jpg

Rick,

I had exactly the same issue. I ordered another 55" cable and it works well enough that I decided I didn't need a custom length, but 52" would probably be optimal.

....I had exactly the same issue. I ordered another 55" cable and it works well enough that I decided I didn't need a custom length, but 52" would probably be optimal.
Thank's Paul. Your post validates my experience as not being unique. I'll probably go ahead and order a "custom" 52" length...the cost differential is not all that great. Still, Van's didn't give me that original 60" cable to begin with and as you probably know....removal and replacement of any quadrant cable even under the best of circumstances is a considerable pain in the carcass!

Rick,

Thanks for the update. I will be calling Van's tomorrow about this. We'll see what they say as I have both the 60" and 55" cable. Do you know who you talked to?

Update

As outlined in the original post, I thought a custom 52" cable would be optimum for use as a mixture cable. Upon ordering it, Van's told me it would be approximately 3 weeks for the special order, but a 52-1/2" cable is stocked and available. Though not listed as an accessory catalog item, the length will be included in the 2008 edition. I said go ahead and sent it.

Meanwhile, I returned the 60" mixture cable with a note of explanation of why I thought it unsuitable. They originally guessed it may have been a mislabeled 67" cable. Upon their receipt however, it was confirmed the returned cable was indeed 60" long.

Intrigued, Van's then pulled the cowling of the factory RV-8A and confirmed its mixture cable is.......55".

They were puzzled as to why a 60" cable is routinely included in the FWF kit in the first place. Still, I was informed an adjustment would be made and a shorter mixture cable will be included in future FWF kits. It is unclear to me exactly what length mixture cable Van's will choose to ship as part of the revised FWF package.

The photo shows my recent installation. Personally, I STILL think a custom 52" cable would be spot on but I can certainly live with this CT Q-52.5.

Back