What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Trailer

jim miller

Well Known Member
I have designed a trailer that I would build for the RV-12. It is three trailers in one to allow a one man operation and to provide easy and safe transport for the wings. Here is a brief discription.
1. A central two axle lightweight trailer slightly wider that the 78 inch main gear width with metal sides about 12" above trailer floor. On these sides I will weld hindges (two per side) made from short pieces of 1/2 inch ID pipe with a 1/2 hindge pin made from steel bar or use long concrete J bolts.
2. Two very light weight accessory trailers hinged to the side of the central trailer with the above described hinges with easily removed hindge pins. These
"wing trailers" will be made from thin-walled 1" sq tubing and lined with 1/4 inch plywood and 3" blue foam like used to insulate basements. Imagine a box just big enough to hold a wing with no top and one end missing and about 3 to 4 feet shorter than the wing with the wing spar stub sticking out. They will have three wheels each attached with a sq tube within a sq tube to be adjustable in height. Two wheels will be attached on the open end of the box where the wing spar sticks out and on the other wing tip end one center wheel. With the wing laying in these 3" foam lined three wheeled boxes
straps will be pulled over the open top to hold wing in place and folded up and held for transport by two cross bars tying the two "wing trailers" together.
To load plane which is setting on tarmac with wings on you fold down the wing boxes, drive out hindge pins and remove from central trailer. Wheel one around and under the wing and adjust the three wheels for proper height and pull wing off plane and it drops into the box. Strap wing in place and wheel around to central trailer and connect it to central trailer with the two hindge pins. Do same for second wing, then roll fuseledge onto trailer fold up wing boxes/trailer and secure with the two cross bars.
The only thing I have to work out is final dimensions. Any other better ideas out there?
Jim Miller

A visual would help...

Do you have any drawings or plans you could share?

Im having a bit of difficulty seeing how the trailer is laid out. :confused:

Thanks

Best trailer I've ever seen for a kit aircraft is built for the twister. Click on this Link and then on the three small images under the main screen shot. The three small videos show the trailer in action, as well as a very cool wing stand we could adapt for one - person wing removal.

The trailer would have to be modified a bit to account for the non-removable stabilator of the 12.

Cobra trailers..

Baja_Traveler said:
Best trailer I've ever seen for a kit aircraft is built for the twister. Click on this Link and then on the three small images under the main screen shot. The three small videos show the trailer in action, as well as a very cool wing stand we could adapt for one - person wing removal.

The trailer would have to be modified a bit to account for the non-removable stabilator of the 12.
That trailer seems to be a modified German Cobra trailer, or a near equivalent.

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/Cobra.htm

http://www.cobratrailer.de/english/epros.htm

Nice, but lots of Euros.... :)

gil A

Good thinking all, by the time Vans begins to sell kits, I hope that someone will have the answers to a really good trailer - I certainly need one - thanks again, Ed.

Does it need to be covered?

A trailer thought...

This trailer concept is similar to the trailer I had for my homebuilt Duster sailplane. Being wood construction, I didn't want to leave it outdoors.

The dimensions were similar to the RV-12 in length, and the glider kit supplier sold a flat bed trailer that was 20 ft. long - with a "slide in" tongue, it would fit inside a standard garage.

If you put the RV-12 on a similar trailer, it would be pretty likely that you could find a 8 x 20 ft space for rent on most airports, or perhaps a "U-Store-It" place. The trailer construction would be much easier.

The only problem - and this would also be somewhat of a problem with an enclosed trailer - would be the height compared to a glider due to the gear legs... A pretty simple structure would do... sort of like this one, but shorter and wider...

trailer1.JPG

gil in Tucson - built two glider trailers

Hamp
I have nothing but crude sketches and no way to post or e-mail. Feel free to give me a call and I could explain better or mail you a sketch. If I build a RV-12 I will definitely build my own trailer based on this idea. Just having a "wing dolly" does nothing except getting the wing off the plane-then what do you do with it, especially by yourself. I only work Fridays. (931)455-8662 (Home)
I just looked at the twister trailer. It looks good but it appears to require built-in hardpoints on the wing for both the wing dolly and the slide, in the trailer. This could probably be done on the RV-12 during wing construction.
Jim Miller

Last edited:
Question for those who trailer...

So, if you trailer a plane to an airport what are the cons?

The idea of keeping a plane at home and trailering is interesting because it would be close by to work on and sit in to make airplane noises, but how do the airport managers in general feel about this practice? Are they generally open to the idea or not? I would imagine they look at this as lost revenue for their airport (hangar fees etc).

I see lots of pros. But not being a pilot (yet with fingers crossed and mind wandering daily) just thought those with more experience could share thoughts.

Eric

Eric
To me the option of trailering the RV-12 is one of its most appealing features.
Hangers are getting more scarce and expensive in some areas. Even with the modest cost in my area of Tenn it wouldn't take too long to recoup the kit cost. Doing maintenance and fuel-up at home is an attractive option. With the right trailer a person could park between hangars at a minimum or zero cost if home was too far away to trailer on a routine basis.

Jim Miller

Hardpoints...

jim miller said:
Hamp
I have nothing but crude sketches and no way to post or e-mail. Feel free to give me a call and I could explain better or mail you a sketch. If I build a RV-12 I will definitely build my own trailer based on this idea. Just having a "wing dolly" does nothing except getting the wing off the plane-then what do you do with it, especially by yourself. I only work Fridays. (931)455-8662 (Home)
I just looked at the twister trailer. It looks good but it appears to require built-in hardpoints on the wing for both the wing dolly and the slide, in the trailer. This could probably be done on the RV-12 during wing construction.
Jim Miller
I don't think the Twister has hardpoints built in the wing... it seems to use a sleeve over the wing tip.
This picture shows it.

Kit%20Out%20on%20Grass%20with%20trailer%20(best).jpg

Sailplanes are similar, but usually use a short sleeve that clamps over each wing about 2/3 the way to the tip.

gil A

Removable wings that are actually removable is great! I, like so many have fallen to the "removable wings" statement by so many other kit manufactures. One light sport kit in particular witch shall remain nameless states a 10 minute wing removal process. IT was AND is a LIE!!!! I trust Van's, I like Van's and their type of engineering-doing business. When they say the wings are removable they prove it, and you don't have to be a contortionist, midget, elephant, or any of the other circus acts to get it done. Trailer, ya we will invent one too. Here there are (like so many places) job shops that I send my CAD drawings to and they will provide me with what I want.

Noel Simmons
CFI A&P
builder of fine aircraft
www.blueskyaviation.net

Gil
You are right. The other photo (video) had the sleeve and wing the same color and you couldn't see it. What to you think those sleeves are made of? If a person wants a fully enclosed trailer one along the lines of the twister trailer would be ideal.

Jim Miller

glass layups...

Gil
You are right. The other photo (video) had the sleeve and wing the same color and you couldn't see it. What to you think those sleeves are made of? If a person wants a fully enclosed trailer one along the lines of the twister trailer would be ideal.

Jim Miller
Jim,
A typical glider methodology would be a fibreglass molded sleeve lined with a firm 1/4 industrial felt.

You can tape the felt in place, wrap it in saran wrap, and then mold the sleeve over it. Wood stiffeners can also be glassed in for hard mounting points. Usually a heavy lay-up with glass mat as opposed to a thinner glass cloth lay-up. I've done this for glider wings, just don't mix the resin too "hot" or the exothermic temps. will burn the wing....:(

A wing sleeve like this would also hold the ailerons in place during trailering.

gil A

Last edited:
Back