What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Failure

Jamie

Well Known Member
Rudder Damage

So Mike "Kahuna" Stewart hooked me up with a great hangar at LZU. It's in the EAA row which means I'm close to all my EAA friends and have access to our chapter's tools, which so far have come in rather handy. LZU is less than half the drive to my old hangar and is well within my Phase I area.

At any rate, to make a long story short, we couldn't find the hangar key that was supposed to be left for us so we had to leave my RV outside while Mike ferried me back over to WDR to get my truck. When Mike got back it started raining cats and dogs and he was determined to get my plane in to the hangar and out of the weather. He managed to get into the hangar and popped the door open. Unfortunately my plane was a little too close to the bi-fold door and this is what happened:

rudder_sensored.JPG

I have censored out the sharpie comment Mike wrote on the rudder. :)

He called and told me what happened and I started calling my friends to see if I could find a loaner rudder. Fortunately there are a million RVs around and the -7s and -9s now use the same rudder. I called my friend Ron (forum contributor) and he allowed me to borrow his rudder until I have time to build another one.

Thanks, Ron. Here's Ron's rudder mounted on my airplane. And yes, I have VERY nice company in the hangar. That's an Extra and a SU26. :) Still looking to hitch a ride in the Extra.
new_rudder.JPG

It just goes to prove that no good deed goes unpunished. I wasn't the slightest bit worried about the whole thing because I knew that Mike would make it right. Since he was helping me out to begin with I honestly didn't feel as though he owed me anything. He's of course offered to build me a new rudder.

Sorry, I just had to rib Kahuna a little today.

Last edited:
Great

Sorry about the rudder, Jamie,
Ain't 'nuthin' but a thing anyway.......great easy-going attitude about it all. Great friends around you as well. Sorry I missed the fly-in Sat dy' but the bugs were beckoning and the cash register was ringing.

Later,
Pierre

So, Mike gets a new callsign, right?
  • Krunch
  • Bi-fold
  • Bent
  • Door
...my favorite......'Bender'.

bender.jpg

All in fun. Great folks, easy fix and a story that will get funnier with time.

b,
d

Last edited:
DeltaRomeo said:
So, Mike gets a new callsign, right?

• Krunch
  • Bi-fold
  • Bent
  • Door
...my favorite......'Bender'.

All in fun. Great folks, easy fix and a story that will get funnier with time.

b,
d

...we were thinking "Captain Crunch". :D

Interchangeability?

I'm impressed that your rudders are interchangeable! I think I'd be amazed if my -4 could do that from another.

Yep. No good deed goes unpunished!
I was not happy with myself. Rush rush rush to get plane in hanger and wham.

Thanks for deleting the explicative. Dont want folks to think I have foul mouth. :eek:

The new RV-9 rudder fit perfectly. Took me 2 hours to remove old, transfer fairings and wiring, and remount. Good old pre punched stuff. Can't beat it.

You would have no chance of doing that on a -4.
Best,

My rudder is...

...The worst part of my whole paint job...Anybody want to do me the same favour?...:)

Frank 7a

Good From Bad

This incident reminded me that that's why I started building an RV. I was called to recover an off-field-landed Mooney. The owner flew it out of the pasture and got back to the airport before I could drive back. He was so intent pushing it back into the T-hangar that he failed to see or remember his truck was parked in there! He crumpled the right aileron, so I got to rebuild it. I decided I really liked doing it so soon thereafter I ordered my tail kit.

Who knows...you guys may decide you like building hangar doors! ;)

ROTFLMAO

Doug: "ROTFLMAO"

I finally figured out what it means. I asked my wife and apparently she's been watching the Food Network on TV waaay too much. She thought it meant "Rotel Sauce and Mayonaise". The woman needs help!!!!!!!! (But I am well fed!!!) :D

hang in ther mike

i would bet that the worst end of this deal is how mike got to feel. i cant imagine being able to say im sorry enough for one of these. but then we are all builders and this to shall pass. kinda like getting a speeding ticket, you just cant get over it till the next day.
this is indeed a great community.

Need Replacement?

Hi Jamie,

Do you need a replacement rudder kit? When I built my 7A, they still shipped the old style rudder which I currently fly with. They also shipped me a replacement "new style" rudder which is still in the shipping box, never started. Its yours if you would like.

Tom Caruthers
RV-7A N175TJ Flying
319-368-0232

tacaruth said:
Hi Jamie,

Do you need a replacement rudder kit? When I built my 7A, they still shipped the old style rudder which I currently fly with. They also shipped me a replacement "new style" rudder which is still in the shipping box, never started. Its yours if you would like.

Tom Caruthers
RV-7A N175TJ Flying
319-368-0232
Oh Heck yes we will take it.
Since Im in charge of replacing it, Ill take it.
Please email me contact info [email protected]
Sweet.
Best,

Kahuna said:
Oh Heck yes we will take it.
Since Im in charge of replacing it, Ill take it.
Please email me contact info [email protected]
Sweet.
Best,

OK Disreguard,
I got several emails of rudders in boxes ready to ship.
I decided to take my good friend Mike Allardyce's from Ohio.
Thanks all for the help and the wonderful suggestions on names:)
Best,

Kahuna said:
OK Disreguard,
I got several emails of rudders in boxes ready to ship.
I decided to take my good friend Mike Allardyce's from Ohio.
Thanks all for the help and the wonderful suggestions on names:)
Best,
Amazing ...

Isn't this just a wonderful community? !!

James

Back