What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AVmap Users - What PC software?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

What PC software do you use to program your AVMAP waypoints and routes?

Me based in South Africa, I need to add more airfields. They recommend Jeppesen Flight Start, but jeppesen does not have an evaluation version available to check out and I am not paying $180 for someting I can't evaluate first. The Garmin software Mapsource I have from my old garmin does not work.

I have the Avmap the Datacable now all I need is PC software..

Please help :D

Thanks in advance,
Kind Regards
Rudi

I have the same dillema Rudi, I'm in the UK and my new AvMap is on the way to me this week. I'll search around for the options others are using here in the UK and if I find something, I'll post you.

Martin

BUMP anyone???

I see with the release of their new smaller WX capable unit (GeoPilot II PLUS) for less than $900 a lot more people are going to use them to the expensive Garmin units, BUT WHAT PC SOFTWARE are you guys using to interface to it?

309b.jpg

Regards
Rudi

Hi Guys,

Hmmm...I have downloaded a trial version of http://www.oziexplorer.com/ it supports "other" GPS's that uses the NMEA interface. With it you can ONLY send and receive user-defined waypoints. No flightplans, no tracks, and you can't see the buildt in waypoints. It also cost $95.

It looks like the only alternative is the expensive Jeppesen Flightstar $149. But I can't see if it will do everything I want, since you do not get a trail version to try out.

Any other comments?

Thanks
Rudi

Rudi,
I was searching for AVMAP software just last night. It's very confusing. I sent AVMAP an email asking about the Flitestar interface with reference to the extent of compatibility. I'm also curious if my Garmin GPS can supply flightplans, waypoints etc. enroute. I'll post the response they give. What's you're panel looking like? I've got my Dynon FD-180 ordered and the Trio auotopilot controllers should be here tomorrow. I have wires all over the place and can finally start hooking them up

Rocky

I spoke with AVMAP a few minutes ago and here is the "latest". The Jeppesen Flightstar program is compatible with the EKP IV and is the replacement software, since C-MAP PC Planner is not in production or difficult to come by. The link below is to the quick reference manual from AVMAP citing the Jeppesen Flightstar program for upload/download. This is current through software revision 1.11.50R which is what I have. I am limited to that version at present.

http://www.avmap.it/upload/files/web_EKP-IVQuickStartGuidev1.11.50R.pdf

Rudy: The reference guide gives actual NMEA for flight plans, waypoint and track loading from the Jeppesen Flightstar or "compatible" devices, whatever they are. Maybe your best bet is to call Jeppesen. They should know what their program can do with the AVMAP.

Other news is that they are looking for a fall launch of a XM weather upgrade. You will need to have a 512MB CF card to be able to use all features of the upgrade. My unit is older and has only 128mb and needs a new card. The cost with a Jeppeson update and new CF card is $199 and they said that would give me the ability to display Low Airways and private airports. I said that I would wait until I'm flying and nearing Phase I completion to update, so it will be a while. Now where am I gonna mount that XM receiver antenna?

Hi Rocky,

The Garmin portable units are very compatibly with a lot of free GPS PC planning software out in the world. I have used various programs to upload/download waypoints, routes and tracks with my garmin I use in my ultralight.

I was hoping to get the same GPS program support from the Avmap. But I only have limited success with OziExplorer, and don't know if Flightstar can do it all. Avmap uses NMEA sentences and not a lot of programs support that format for upload and download of Waypoint, Routes and Track info. Most programs use the NMEA sentences to track the GPS location, I can get that to work, but that is not what I want...I need to upload and plan many more airfields and routes which is not on the AVMAP currently.

I have send an email to both Jeppesen and Avamp and waiting their response.

Let me know if you get more info!

Regards
Rudi

Here's an email I received today from AVMAP

Dear Mr. McKiernan;

On Friday, 8/24/07 you wrote:

"There are several RV aircraft builders installing AVMAP EKP IV GPS units. Will the Jeppesen Flitestar software interface completely with the AVMAP? Will it download flightplans, tracks and userdefined waypoints?

Thank you for your inquiry. The AvMap will completely interface with Jeppesen Flight Star Versions 9.160 and later.

I hope I have been helpful. If you have any further questions or if you need any additional information please contact me at 800-363-2627 of reply to this e-mail address.

Thank you.

Dan Lyons
Sales Manager
AvMap/Navigation
133 Falmouth Rd, Suite E
Mashpee, MA 02649
www.avmap.us

Back