What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Cooler Location?

rv8180

Well Known Member
Request opinions about which location would allow the best cooling for the oil cooler........in the front postion or on the rear baffle?

Plane: RV8QB
Engine: AEIO-390 Lyc (standard Van's cowl, no plenum)
Cooler: Stewart Warner 10599R cooler

I appreciate any input.
Thanks!

Roy,

I'm not sure what you mean by the front position, but I think the best place to put the oil cooler is on the engine mount or firewall with a separate inlet form the cowl - no heat conductance from the cylinders. I originally had mine mounted on the baffles with so-so results. I get much better cooling with it now mouted on the engine mount (right side!).

Scott
N653S
RV-7A IO-390
210 hours

Hey! Scot!
I was referring to the optional, forward mounting location shown on RV8 drawing #49.
See.......

Right now, I'm leaning towards something like you described. I think I want the cooler air flow guided, in and out.

Thanks! For your input.

I have done it two different ways, neither according to VAN's plans.
On my RV6, the cooler was mounted on the left front baffle floor. Cooling was superb. The drawback was longer oil line runs. You also have to beef up the baffle to accept the cooler or you will get cracking. (I backed up the baffle floor with .063 and it held up fine.)
My RV8 has the cooler on the firewall. I have a 4" SCAT from the rear of the right baffle. Cooling is exceptional. Even on hot Texas summer days, I rarely see oil temps above 210, even in the climb. Normal cruise temps are in the 170s, so I would actually like to have a little higher temps, so I plan to partially cover the inlet to see what happens. I would use 3" SCAT if I did it again. (My engine is ECI IO 360, 180 HP.) I have a small plenum over the oil cooler that holds the end of the SCAT about 3 inches off of the cooler, which I think helps.
I have seen quite a few installations on the rear of the left baffle, according to VAN's plans. I have also seen many of these with cracks on the baffles.
For me, the firewall installation is straightforward and easy and does a great job of cooling. With 180 hrs since the installation, no problems at all.
Good luck on the method you choose.

Roy,

Assuming the placement of the filtered airbox is the same on the -7 and -8 for horizontal induction, that location for the oil cooler won't work. The fab/filter is mounted to that front baffle floor.

I wouldn't go with anything less than 4" SCAT (or preferably SCEET). The angle-valves tend to run higher oil temps (but lower CHTs). Plus I think 4" is about the width of the cooler you are using.

Scott

scott7A said:
Roy,

Assuming the placement of the filtered airbox is the same on the -7 and -8 for horizontal induction, that location for the oil cooler won't work. The fab/filter is mounted to that front baffle floor.

I wouldn't go with anything less than 4" SCAT (or preferably SCEET). The angle-valves tend to run higher oil temps (but lower CHTs). Plus I think 4" is about the width of the cooler you are using.

Scott
Scott.
Now that you mention it, I think you're correct....it won't work there.

Guess I'll develop something like Steve mentioned. I was already thinking along those lines but wanted to consider options. I know this 390 needs alot of cooling for the oil.

Appreciate the input, guys. It's very helpful.

Oil cooler and heat muff intake locations

The instructions that came with Van's baffle kit direct the user to mount the oil cooler on the left rear baffle and the flange for the cabin heat intake on the left front baffle floor.

In his video, George Orndorff initially mounted his oil cooler on the left rear but moved it to the forward floor due to cooling issues. He mounted the flange that supplies air to the heat muff on the lower angled portion of the aft right baffle. His reasoning for that is the air is pre-warmed by the cylinder before it gets to the muff.

Has anybody ever mounted that flange anywhere but the forward floor?

Back