What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lord Mount Question

Ron

I am installing the Lord Mount J-9613-40 in my 9A-O-320. Looking at the plans, Van's indicates a large flat washer on each side of the lower mount. ie, note 3 on dwg 46A for the RV 6A,7A,9A. The mounts I received from Lord's only have one washer for each? Does that apply to all mounts, or is that only for the one's Van's sells...
Tks
Ron
9A-O320
ready for engine hanging..

I put washers as called out on that drawing. Didn't you get more washers with the bolt set?

I ordered mounts from another source, so I got the bolt set from the same source. The mounts came with one washer each, it looks as if I'm going to need two each....
Tks
Ron

I just did this Monday. You need 6 washers. Two on the bottom mounts between the engine and mount and one washer under each bolt head. Pay attention as the top bolts are -43 and the bottom -44 ask me how I know. Don

There should be a bag of washers somewhere in the kit.

-43 and -44 Really. I don't get it I checked my bolts for length just to be sure and they where all exactly the same.

Last edited:
Needed

Mel said:
The bottom bolts are longer because of the extra washer.
...and if you don't have the extra washer on the bottom mounts, the Lord mount will not sit flat against the engine, causing all sorts of long term problems.

The extra washer is definitely required....

gil A

Ron said:
I am installing the Lord Mount J-9613-40 in my 9A-O-320. Looking at the plans, Van's indicates a large flat washer on each side of the lower mount. ie, note 3 on dwg 46A for the RV 6A,7A,9A. The mounts I received from Lord's only have one washer for each? Does that apply to all mounts, or is that only for the one's Van's sells...
Tks
Ron
9A-O320
ready for engine hanging..

This is an old diagram from the RV6 Preview Plans book but it's the best that I've found to show the installation. Hope it helps.
Jim Sharkey
sk90aig7.jpg

Large washers

Note that the Lord J-221861 washers are not the same size as AN970-7s... they are a larger diameter...

gil A

Thanks guys, it looks like I'm dead in the water for now. I simply overlooked the need for multiple washers at each location. One came with each mount and I was happy.. I checked with builders in this area and no luck. So, I guess I'll return the hoist and pick up some this week and try again..
Thanks
Ron

And don't forget to get the cushions in the correct order - check and re check the print - or you suffer another day of fannying around with a hoist and skinning knuckles getting the nuts on. :eek:

WHEW!

I don't remember the bolts being different lengths but I've been to the shop and everything checks out. Checked em with calipers.

Update, I found some washers from a buddy who had an extra lord mount kit, so using his two washers, his and my son's help, engine is hung.......I guess lots of different ways to go now, huh???
Thanks for the input from all, and yes, the mounts are in the correct position......
Ron
9A...engine hung!!

Oil Pressure Port

You guys do realize you can't get at the oil pressure takeoff port with the engine mounts in place ? Little stinker that it is.

Note that the Lord J-221861 washers are not the same size as AN970-7s... they are a larger diameter...

gil A

Gil,

I have had a heck of a time trying to find the J-221861 washers in the past. I need to eventually shim my bottom mounts by adding a couple more of these washers due to engine droop. My spinner is down about 1/4" from the top of the cowl. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have a source for these Lord washers? I have tried contacting Lord to no avail.

So if anyone is replacing Lord mounts, save the large washers!

Gil,

I have had a heck of a time trying to find the J-221861 washers in the past. I need to eventually shim my bottom mounts by adding a couple more of these washers due to engine droop. My spinner is down about 1/4" from the top of the cowl. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have a source for these Lord washers? I have tried contacting Lord to no avail.

So if anyone is replacing Lord mounts, save the large washers!

The Lord washers are thicker, and apparently a "-" makes a difference....:)

http://www.aeroinstock.com/products/J2218-61/0/56262/product_detail/index.html

...or Cessna prices...

http://www.broadiesaircraft.com/shop/search.asp?lookup=J2218-61

Last edited:
Back