What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying prop strike AC

dsgilmer

I'm New Here
I am thinking about buying an RV-4 that has had a previous prop strike, and would like to know what I should be looking for to make sure all the required inspections and repairs have been done properly. It was upon landing, and just bent the prop tips. The engine was a Lycoming 0360 with a Hartzel CS prop. I suspect everything is in order, but would like to have someones advice in what exactly to watch out for. Thanks

Any prop strike, no matter how minor, can cause cracks in the crankshaft. That's why Lycoming requires a complete teardown and inspection.

Open it up

I agree totally with Mel. My dad is an A&P and he agrees, you can check runout all day long and you'll never know the crank is compromised until..............well you know.

Figure $10k for a new prop and inspection, plus repairs to any damage. Might be less if you do some of this yourself or have a good / cheap A&P.

asked this before

and was contacted off line by several engine builders that they rarely did a teardown on a prop strike that revealed a damaged crank. . i would however do it but my point is if it wasnt to bad a strike then the stuff will likely check out... it is however a gamble and you could win or loose. so pay accordingly.

NOTE::: RALRELY DID =THEY RARELY DID FIND DAMAGE AT TEAR DOWN

Last edited:
What Lycoming says...

cytoxin said:
and was contacted off line by several engine builders that they rarely did a teardown on a prop strike that revealed a damaged crank. . i would however do it but my point is if it wasnt to bad a strike then the stuff will likely check out... it is however a gamble and you could win or loose. so pay accordingly.
Lycoming says a full teardown/inspection is needed....

http://www.lycoming.com/support/publications/service-bulletins/pdfs/SB533A.pdf

This SB includes the Lycoming definition of a prop strike.

gil in Tucson

Prop strike (from experience)

dsgilmer said:
I am thinking about buying an RV-4 that has had a previous prop strike, and would like to know what I should be looking for to make sure all the required inspections and repairs have been done properly. It was upon landing, and just bent the prop tips. The engine was a Lycoming 0360 with a Hartzel CS prop. I suspect everything is in order, but would like to have someones advice in what exactly to watch out for. Thanks

I have experienced two prop strikes. The first was rather major and the second more minor. In both cases I had the engine removed/inspected and the prop replaced/repaired.

First was at OSH on "getaway day" in 2001.
In the first case, the engine was shutdown after I heard the "tinging" of the prop on the concrete. The tips were bent about three inches. The engine was TBO and EAA, bless their hearts, stepped up and paid for my repairs, minus the overhaul cost. Things have changed and if you get damaged at OSH, it's "tough luck" now.

Second time while taxiing at RNT (same airplane).
In the second case, the tips of the propeller had only been deformed about an inch. The engine was inspected and determined to be undamaged.A local prop shop reconditioned the prop and an IA signed it off as serviceable. That was 380 hours ago and no problems since. My total bill for the R&R, engine inspection and prop reconditioning was about $13,500. Avemco to the rescue, I did not have to pay a dime.

By far, the major cost of both inspection(s) was the R&R (remove and replace). If you do the remove and replace, you will save a TON of money. You can in fact, legally remove the engine and tear it down yourself, prior to having the parts inspected, then have a local A&P reassemble the engine.
I was in a certified aircraft and did not have that option.

Just a thought,
JP

Speaking of......

I'll never forget...I was with Jay Pratt and a bunch of the local DFW gang, flying around to lunch and then some subsequent fly-in's (which we 'discovered spur of the moment on the radios').

We're on the ramp at one of our stops, and a guys comes taxiing up to the ramp in a -7A. When he shuts down, all I see is about 3" of each prop tip severely bent back. I didn't know how to approach the guy, but finally said "hey, do you know you had a prop strike?" He looked up at the prop and didn't say anything else. A really weird deal.....He fueled up, and took off to who knows where....amazing.....never said a word....... :confused:

hmmm

az_gila said:
Lycoming says a full teardown/inspection is needed....

http://www.lycoming.com/support/publications/service-bulletins/pdfs/SB533A.pdf

This SB includes the Lycoming definition of a prop strike.

gil in Tucson
SLOW DOWN GIL, READ THE WHOLE PARAGRAPH.
didnt say they or i wouldnt do it, the intent was to say very little ever revealed any damage. with obvious exception to the prop

there was a guy here flying a 182 that had a prop strike with 3-4 inches of his c/s prop bent back. he flew for two months before getting it fixed. :eek:
they thought nothing of it..the 172 i fly alot was landed on the beach by a renter,they flew it back....approx 100 miles. it had a prop strike that didnt noticebly bend the prop.. when the student and instructor got in to fly after the weekend they felt a huge vibration... then beach sand was found and following interview revealed the mishap..cost the customer 10,000....hope he was insured.
anyone remember the pics of the 172 that lost the prop inflight to a severed crank. about 2 years ago.. moral of the story..(same as the first. a complete and thorough inspection is required. but it will probally check out ok.)

Last edited:
LYCOMING PROPSTRIKE

Amigo, I prefer the term, "fiscally feasible" over "cheap". We are'nt talkin' about my prom dates here...

I dinged the prop on my O360A$M last week, and although the conventional wisdom was to mic the hub and return to service, the Textron Lycoming Svc Bulletin 533A takes the position that the engine must be torn down and inspected. It leaves anything less intrusive to the responsibility of the A & P signing it off. Avemco was particularly insistent that they pay to perform the tear down. I concur, and I will likely foot the diff and O/haul the engine. You guys are dot on at the tear down cost at 10,000. I am finding quality o/hauls at about 18,000.

On second pass, my A & P stuck me for lunch yesterday, so I rescind or at least qualify my opening statement..

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hey Lou, welcome to VAF.

Sorry bout your prop incident.

By the way, in case you didnt noticeit, this thread is 3 years old.

Feliz cinco de Mayo

It?s amazing how much time passes, and then a thread gets resurrected from the dead. :)

While we are on this topic though, I can understand Lycoming stating an engine tear down is necessary after a prop strike because of the legalities. From what I?m reading it seems quite rare to have crank or engine problems after the prop strike though. But Lycoming not taking the risk of that 1 in whatever number having a problem, they pretty much have to take this position of a tear down, don?t they?

And if the prop strike was a wooden or composite prop, is the engine tear down something you?d still feel like was necessary?

Back