VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-08-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Assembling an ECI O-360 kit engine

I know I promised this some time back, but although able to assemble an engine, my computer skills were not up to posting my experience in an efficient manner. Radomir came to the rescue and took the information I sent him on CD and posted it on a website to make it available to all. Than you very much Radomir.

The link is: http://www.vitez.net/trib/O360assembly.htm

What is contained is a word document which lists how I assembled the engine with an attempt to give a complete listing of tools, documents and lubricants needed (including where you can obtain them locally, for the most part). Also included are how I made an engine stand for assembly and copied anothers stand for storage. About 100 photos accompany the text.

Building the engine only takes about two weekends, saves about $4,000 and is a very satisfying experience. The four weeks I spent in advance of that, preparing an assembly document, researching and obtaining the lubricants and pumping individuals for the assembly techniques have all been captured here. The major drawback is not having a test stand to do the initial run-in on, so some care will have to be spent doing this later, on the plane. It was a lot of fun to take a break from the lengthy build of the airframe and do a quick start to finish project. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Hopefully, this will help return a small part of the benefit of information I have gotten from other RV builders.
N621TR In unrestricted operation
Old 06-08-2007, 12:11 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you so much Tim!!!! I've been struggling with engine choices for weeks now and trying to decide whether or not I want to build my own. Your excellent write up will help me make an informed decision. Efforts like yours are why this is such a great community.

Kind Regards,
Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE
Build Log: http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:15 AM

Default Building an engine - the savings are minimal when compared to the benefits lost

Having built the Superior engine in my workshop in 5 days, I lament that decision as a mistake. Although my assembly team was experienced & excellent and the assembly environment squeaky clean, the engine will not be tested in a controlled environment on a test stand.

Instead, it will be tested on the airplane after minimal run in on the ground. Instead of having one less (BIG) thing to worry about on first flight, we have added one more plus summer temps in Tucson make initial cooling all the more problematic. Even at 5am, D/A works against us.

In addition, the fly off period will expand from 25 hours to 40 and the warranty from Superior is shorter.

Yes, we saved $1,500 but when you consider the overall cost of the project, the savings are minimal when compared to the benefits lost.

I wouldn't do it again.
2017 dues happily paid for an incredible website
Old 06-11-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Do it your self engine building

I do not normally get involved with these threads. But this one is very important. First I would like to point out that there is a lot more reference material than the overhaul manual. They are called service instructions and service bulletins. I know you put together an ECI engine but for the same reason you used the Lycoming Overhaul Manual, you should also use the most up to date Lycoming Service Instruction and Service Bulletins.
Second, did you check things like valve guide cleareance during assembly?
Did you check piston ring gaps. Did you check cylinder barrel dimensions?
My questions could go on and on here. You left out an incredible amount of information in your instructions. Even with your disclaimer, you have opened yourself up to a huge liability potential. Often things are posted on the internet and by that fact alone become gospel. Be careful posting, it just may be used against you in a Court of Law.
Third, ( I see you had help ) for everyone else, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, build an engine by yourself.
It is a two man operation. No matter how experienced you are, mistakes will be made. At least with two sets of eye balls the error may be caught.
I would suggest anyone contemplating building there own engine to attend the two week course Lycoming offers. You graduate from their course with the proper technical and practical knowledge that you need.

Last edited by Darrell : 06-11-2007 at 10:44 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-13-2007, 10:18 AM

You are correct in that more than one person should be involved. I had others there for the specfic purpose of being a check. One individual even had a task of being the reader. As far as checking things such as clearances and gaps, these were performed, as well as a review and use of updates to the lycoming manual, and specific updates put out by ECI for their components. Gaps/clearances were not spelled out in my instructions as they are already contained in the lycoming overhaul manual. My intent (as stated) was to document how I assembled my engine. It is clearly stated so there is no intention of teaching someone how to assemble an engine. There is no more liability here than any of the other websites which show how they build an airplane and someone uses this information to assist on their build (Dan Checkoway would certainly be a pauper by now if so). I hoped to give individuals who were considering building their own engine so experience I had gained and some information I had learned, that's why we're allowed by the FAA to do this, it's a learning experience. The document I put together largely is just a reference to steps in the lycoming manual and the parts manual to try to place the process into a logical progression, as the manual is incomplete and not set up just for assembly of a new engine. It is also outdated, so I tried to bring it up to date by mentioning some of the lubricants I used (manual lubricants may no longer be available) and their source.

Of course, the sad commentary is that anyone can sue anybody for anything at anytime, but sometimes we need to take a small risk and attempt to help others even though it is of no personal gain, instead of letting that fear imprison us. I know I am thankful for the many individuals involved in this venture who share their knowledge with me in the same manner.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Your host.

Tim, you rock.

I assembled the ECi engine for my RV-6 under the watchful eye of Danny King, who had done it many times. Not a hiccup in 600+ hours.

I'd do it again.

Thank you for your hard work at documenting the assembly process.

Best,
Doug
Track me: KG5PRB
Old 06-13-2007, 05:31 PM

Exclamation One minor addition...

We just completed assembly of a "parts engine" for a RV-9 in my hangar.

We did have the SB's and SI's from Lycoming as a previous post suggested, and it proved sessential to find the part number for the thorough bolt sealing O-rings that Divco added to the case during OH. These O-rings are not in the basic Parts Manual. This was just one specific example of the need for SI's and SB's.

The IA helping (leading) us followed pretty much the same procedure as post number 1, but he preferred that the case be held horizontally on the bench while we were working on it. A really simple jig from a piece of plywood and a few short 2x4 pieces made this jig.

I'd post a picture, but I'm presently in Liverpool, England catching up on my beer drinking....

gil - usually in Tucson
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 06-13-2007, 06:38 PM

Thumbs up Good Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by trib
I know I promised this some time back, but although able to assemble an engine, my computer skills were not up to posting my experience in an efficient manner. Radomir came to the rescue and took the information I sent him on CD and posted it on a website to make it available to all. Than you very much Radomir.

The link is: http://www.vitez.net/trib/O360assembly.htm

What is contained is a word document which lists how I assembled the engine with an attempt to give a complete listing of tools, documents and lubricants needed (including where you can obtain them locally, for the most part). Also included are how I made an engine stand for assembly and copied anothers stand for storage. About 100 photos accompany the text.

Building the engine only takes about two weekends, saves about $4,000 and is a very satisfying experience. The four weeks I spent in advance of that, preparing an assembly document, researching and obtaining the lubricants and pumping individuals for the assembly techniques have all been captured here. The major drawback is not having a test stand to do the initial run-in on, so some care will have to be spent doing this later, on the plane. It was a lot of fun to take a break from the lengthy build of the airframe and do a quick start to finish project. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Hopefully, this will help return a small part of the benefit of information I have gotten from other RV builders.
Nice write-up! These vintage engines are definitely not rocket science to assemble. Nice pics too... Thanks for sharing your experience.
Repeat Offender / Race 007
Rocket 100 11/22/09 RV Red RV-7A 172.11 198.06
Friend of the RV-1
Old 06-14-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Engine Build

My engine was built from a kit by Robbie Attaway (ECI Rep) in my hangar. I wanted to learn about the engine so we built it at my place. Total construction time (excluding painting of everything) was 9 hours. Of course it helps that Robbie has built dozens of engines.

I certainly wouldn't worry because the engine can't be run in a test cell before install. Very few are.

One of my thoughts during the build was, "where is all my money." There sure isn't many parts and the build isn't 'Rocket Surgery.'
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 06-19-2007, 09:58 AM

Question RV7 Guy- Test Run Agenda

Hey Darwin,

Have you run your engine yet? I'm interested in what your test program for the initial run was if you have one developed. Anyone else generated a program for a newly constructed engine to be initially run mounted to the airplane?

thanks,