VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-28-2020, 03:11 PM

Default Compression tests-hot vs cold ?

I had what seems a counter intuitive result. I got compression readings that were slightly higher measured cold, than when measured hot. It wasnít a big difference, something like 72,73,73,73 hot vs. 76,77,77,77 cold. It seems when hot, the clearances and fit would be tighter, causing compressions to be higher. Any ideas?
Vans RV-6 slider-sold
Vans RV-9A slider, flying
O-360, AFS EFIS, True-track autopilot, Garmin GDL-82 ADS-B
Garmin 496

Dues happily paid Jan 3, 2020
Old 06-28-2020, 03:17 PM

Default Hot

I thought it always had to be done hot.
If cold compression is higher, curious if the rings are causing the compression loss. Thick oil trapped in cylinders will tend to help with better compression numbers due to less blow by.
Did you hear any hissing from breather during hot testing?

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2020, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 10% working canopy
Electrical 5%
Engine In Stock
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 06-28-2020, 04:15 PM

Does it matter, hot vs cold, as long as you are consistent from one time to the next? I always thought compression checks are looking for change since absolute numbers donít really mean a lot as long as they are pretty good.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 06-28-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaman View Post
I had what seems a counter intuitive result. I got compression readings that were slightly higher measured cold, than when measured hot. It wasnít a big difference, something like 72,73,73,73 hot vs. 76,77,77,77 cold. It seems when hot, the clearances and fit would be tighter, causing compressions to be higher. Any ideas?
I assume you are positive that you had exactly 80 psi coming in for both tests?
Old 06-28-2020, 05:00 PM

Yes, I was careful to dial in 80psi.

I had a thought that the air connections are themselves sources of leaking. Since there is an air connection at the output of the measuring device, and also at the adaptor plug at the cylinder, any leaking of those 2 connections would lower the reading. Those are harbor freight air connectors. Has anyone had issues with Them leaking? It might not matter for many applications, but for a leak down measurement, it may very well.
Vans RV-6 slider-sold
Vans RV-9A slider, flying
O-360, AFS EFIS, True-track autopilot, Garmin GDL-82 ADS-B
Garmin 496

Dues happily paid Jan 3, 2020
Old 06-28-2020, 05:01 PM

One thing I learned when getting a prebuy on my RV4 is that it is called a leak down compression test, not a compression test. I used to rock the prop looking for the highest pressure, and then only held it there for a couple seconds to record the almost highest pressure. My mechanic looked for the peak pressure at or near TDC and then just held it there until it quit leaking down and recorded that. If you peak at 78, you donít record 78, unless it stays there while keeping the 80 psi input pressure constant. If you start at 78 and then it slowly leaks down to 50 in 30 seconds, you may want to investigate further.

That being said, I donít think a leak down check tells you a lot, unless it leaks down to a relatively low pressure, like 50ís or lower/80.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2020
Old 06-29-2020, 02:35 AM

Correct, it is a leak down test, the ability for a cylinder to hold pressure against what's being forced into it, IE: PSI.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaman View Post
What is creating the seal are steel rings inside a steel barrel. Both have the same thermal expansion coefficient, so those two items probably don't care about what temperature you measure compression at. However, the oil is much thicker when cold, so tiny menisci between the rings/cylinder/pistons will take a higher pressure to "blow open" at cold temperatures.

Or something else...?
Old 06-29-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
One thing I learned when getting a prebuy on my RV4 is that it is called a leak down compression test, not a compression test. I used to rock the prop looking for the highest pressure, and then only held it there for a couple seconds to record the almost highest pressure. My mechanic looked for the peak pressure at or near TDC and then just held it there until it quit leaking down and recorded that. If you peak at 78, you don’t record 78, unless it stays there while keeping the 80 psi input pressure constant. If you start at 78 and then it slowly leaks down to 50 in 30 seconds, you may want to investigate further.

That being said, I don’t think a leak down check tells you a lot, unless it leaks down to a relatively low pressure, like 50’s or lower/80.
Take a look at Lycoming SI1191A. Download it here: https://www.lycoming.com/content/ser...ction-no-1191a
"To assure that the piston rings are seated, the propeller is moved slightly back and forth with a rocking motion while air pressure is applied; thus providing a more accurate reading"

I was taught to always check compressions when the engine has been warmed up, as the SI states. Just for kicks I have checked my RV7's cold twice then followed up with a hot check. Both times the cold compressions were a few psi lower. YMMV.

BTW as far as not telling us a lot, item #3 addresses that. A compression test is a very good tool used for decades for good reason. When combined with borescope inspections it tells us much about the engine's top end health.

Last edited by Caveman : 06-29-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:17 PM

Given our primary interest is valve seating, I don't think hot or cold makes a lot of difference. Just do it the same (hot or cold) every time.