What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing rib flange

I would say that if you have the correct ribs in the correct location, that you will need to make a shim to put in there and use a longer rivet.

The picture is kinda deceiving because it looks like the edge of your work bench is part of the spar.

It is correct, the flange of the spar should be level with the flange of the rib and this indented end will allow them to line up so the skin lays flat accross them.

Last edited:
Brantel said:
I would say that if you have the correct ribs in the correct location, that you will need to make a shim to put in there and use a longer rivet.
A shim only solves the problem at the "joggle" but will CREATE a NEW problem at the main rib flange.

Measure the distance between your spar flanges at several stations to confirm it's consistent. Check that the spar flange is square to the web.

Then check the heights of your main wing ribs and make sure they're consistent.

Find where the problem is and then talk to Van's and tell them what you've got. Don't "band-aid" the problem if it's a manufacturing issue.

Same to me, 2 years ago

Hello

Look at this thread I had the absolut same problem and Vans did not really helped!

I also get contacted by an RV-10 builder with the exactly same problem, the spareflange are not clean bent, they are not 90?!

Here are the design mesurements RV-7 (from Vans):
- bottomflange inside 89?
- topflange inside 88.5?
- gap between them 7.63",
- but the average of the ribs have 7.67", so I go for 7.67" and bent the flanges back until this mesurement more or less was ok, I can not change the webheight.
I also shimm the noseribsribs in this area with "liquid shimm" before I riveted, so there is no niveau step, there is now a slow transision to the slightly higher web. In the meantime, I finished my wings and yes, there is a small unperfection in the profile curvature because the web is slightly higher on one wing.

I let mesure a few other builders the gap between the flanges on different positions on finished wings or spare only, the distance vary quit a bit!

Also I found out that the ribflange hole to the spare web holes are not really in line, there are alot of builders that have this issue also, They are CNC-Punched they must line up is the answer you will get, but it is on the manufacturer to controll this and not only lay on the ... its CNC it fits ... speach!

I hope this helps you a bit,

regards, Dominik

Last edited:
I encountered the same problem on one spar, ie the spar flanges were not bent to the correct angle in some locations, resulting in the gaps that your pic shows at several ribs. Vans solution was to create a giant seamer by sandwiching the spar flange between two hefty planks (2-3' long) with c-clamps, clamping the spar to the bench, and leaning on the 'seamer' until the flange angle was right! The planks were about a foot wide which gave just enough leverage. Wider would be easier.

The tank attach nutplates were not a problem - they just sank into the timber under the clamping and bending pressure. I radiused the edges of the boards and sanded them fairly smooth to help avoid any damage to the spar.

A slightly alarming process but worked out fine.

Many Thanks

All,
Thanks much for your replies. Seems my spars were not created to the measurements Dominick gives in his post. I'm getting varying angles of the flanges and varying distances between the flanges. If I reform the spar flanges to the correct dimensions I have no doubt the ribs will fit correctly. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Again, thanks for all the replies. This forum is tops!!

Back