What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Tail Kit Arrival

iwannarv

Well Known Member
Well I am finally getting around to posting the arrival of the RV3 tail kit - had the last couple weeks of high school, and graduated last saturday, so I've been busy finishing things up!

Many people probably followed the story of this tail kit. It was offered by Mr. Ken Simmons as a free kit to a good home. However, the reciever had to pick the kit up in Oregon, and I am in Kansas. I asked if we could arrange shipping, because I am an 18 year old pilot, and have a passion for RVs and experimental aviation. Many supporters of this site began to donate toward shipping the kit. At this point I was already in shock! As support grew, so did my excitement! Tony Partain then offered free shipping of the kit, so the money raised was put into a gift certificate for tools and such for building the tail. I shared this experience with my local EAA chapter, and they too are as excited as I am! I have great support from local builders who are willing to help out! I have recieved misc. hardware, the gift certificate, many words of encouragement, even an instrument panel ready for instruments from a local RV3 builder (Bob Vasey) who had it extra, just for motivation :) .

Tail Kit:
0000028fy9.jpg

Many thanks go to Ken Simmons, Tony Partain, Doug Reeves, and all VAF and EAA members who are supporting this project. It is you guys who make dreams come true! This is a great opportunity for me that I am very lucky to be a part of! At the moment, I am getting a workspace set up, and beginning to gather tools, review plans, etc.

p.s. - My EAA chapter president made some phone calls, and I recieved a call from David Hipschman - editor of EAA Sport Aviation. He would like to do a story about my experience and the generous support among EAA members.

This better? :D

0000027ie5.jpg

I had to search for some smiling pictures! Mom snapped that one when I didn't think she was going to!

Check it out!

It looks like your tail kit was partially started. Make sure you check over all the work, especially placement of hinge brackets as they are sometimes not positioned correctly by newbees.

p.s. - My EAA chapter president made some phone calls, and I recieved a call from David Hipschman - editor of EAA Sport Aviation. He would like to do a story about my experience and the generous support among EAA members.
Amazing!

Have fun building, Brad. Congrats on your graduation.

Best,
Doug

PS: Make sure to lobby David to plug the VAF Forums - after all, it's the genesis of the event.;)

Last edited:
Parts for your 3

Hi Brad, I've been following your story, I would like to donate somthing, I have some used but good steam engine guages and other parts that I have collected over the last 20 years of building. If you would like them I will send them, if you don't use them you may donnate them to your local EAA chapter for some other deserving person. Love that your building, so now that your graduated, where are you going to collage?

Take care.

Randy

Doug - I am definitely going to inform David that the VAF forums is the reason I found this opportunity in the first place!

Randy - I am interested in what spares you might have, send me a pm.

I should have included this earlier - I am planning to attend Kansas State University to major in Marketing. I would like to go into an aviation marketing field after college. I am also going to plan a visit to the Air Force ROTC office at Kansas State to explore some options there.

family

It's such a good family to be in! I hope you enjoy your kit and I hope you pass it on one day.... it's just a big ladder and we are all on different steps of the ladder trying to help each other up. All I can say is to let a technical counselor or knowledgeable person help you get started.... pref one with building exp so you can catch any building mistakes if they were made early.
Best of Luck
Brian Wallis
ps.. if you need anything or have questions.. all you have to do is ask.

Brad, if you are'nt familiar with Randy Lervolds RV-3 web site, you need to be.
http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/
RV-3 plans have a a few inconsistancies here and there, and Randy's site may be a big help.
The fire that you have in your belly now is only a small warmth compared to what you will feel when that sweet little machine is flying.
Good luck with your project.

Randy Griffin
Vancouver, Wa.
RV-8
N925RG
27.7 Hours as of last night.

Rewind

Man oh man I wish I had been aware of Van's kits twenty years ago when I was 18 or so!! I would have been flying for years by now! Dude you are so smart to be starting this process now,congratulations on graduating and good luck you lucky dog.We'll be watching you .

Awesome...

If this isn't giving the way it should be done, I'll eat my hat. This whole scenario is so storybook......."That ye love one another......." Man this makes me so proud of all you guys.

Thanks to all,
Pierre

Brad

Congrats and What tools are you in need of over and above the ones already received. I have a Cleaveland C Frame if you need it.

Frank @ SGU RV7A "NDY"..working on electrical/panel/soon the FWF!!!!

K-State

Geez, Brad. If you were going to Nebraska, maybe I could send you some Clecos, etc. But a Wildcat????? When the plane is done, may I suggest a nice red and white paint scheme? ;)
Good luck in school and on the project!

Last edited:
VETE76

VETE76 was the post behind Brads that said "give the kid the kit. Look what you started. Good luck Brad.

vbpiper said:
Geez, Brad. If you were going to Nebraska, maybe I could send you some Clecos, etc. But a Jayhawk?????
I think you mean a Wildcat, not a Jayhawk... but it's all in the Kansas family. Just don't accuse a Jayhawk of being from Missouri and we'll all get along! ;)

P.S. Congratulations and good luck Brad!

Good Luck!

Brad
Good luck and build well. Take your time and do it right. Building an RV is no easy task. It will take persistence. Don't get discouraged when it becomes over whelming. Just back away regroup and get back in the grove! You have many supporters that want to see you succeed.

You may be the youngest RV builder yet. (Does anyone know of anyone younger?)

Please keep all of informed of your progress.

vbpiper said:
When the plane is done, may I suggest a nice red and white paint scheme? ;)
Good luck in school and on the project!

:rolleyes: Quick pencil/colored pencil drawing I threw together passing time last night.

rvwv7.jpg

Back