What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trek to Nogales - More Az flying

Capt Sandy

Well Known Member
Ahoy VAF?ers!
More Arizona fun! Roy and I heard from a (Cessna pilot) friend that its an easy trek across the border to Nogales. The possibility of finding good street tacos appealed, so we headed that way.
Very fun to fly by Kit Peak observatory.
There?s no courtesy car at the Nogales airport. I negotiated a round trip taxi fare. There is a circle drive where folks are dropped off and picked up at the border crossing (lots of shuttle buses to Tucson). Super easy to walk across the border - in fact no one looked at our passports.
We walked around town, did a little shopping, and found a terrific restaurant for lunch. We did not get tacos. Always a good sign when we are the only gringos in the place.
Lunch for both of us was $12 (plus tip)
Purchased two Mexican ?hoodies? $20
Taxi to and from $40
Fuel... well, let?s swag $75 (round trip from Ajo)
Pretty close to a $100 hamburger, but tons more fun.
(Note - getting back to the U.S. was not so easy. Global Entry cards made it easier.)
On our way back we flew over a mine just south of Tucson, that was so huge, the entire state of Delaware would probably fit inside. There are many open pit mines in Arizona, but that was definitely one of the biggest we?ve seen.

i-j3GSSXz-640.mp4

Video!
Glad you and Roy are enjoying the SW scene. We miss y'all here in TX.

The Nogales airport is great! I go through there once a month when coming back from Flying Samaritan trips in Baja, Mexico. I really like the little restaurant at the FBO, the US Customs guys are friendly, and it's all around an easy stop.

Cool thanks for an idea! I passed Nogales in 2016 never thought I can just walk across the border for food :)

Back