VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-13-2020, 08:16 AM

Default Time to Build

I figure it's time to re-calibrate my expectations again. I'm building an RV14A slow-build, and currently have over 1100 hours expended, and I'm only just now getting close to finishing the wings. Granted I had to build the flaps twice and lost about 3 months doing so, but the Van's website says the modern matched-hole RV14 kit might take someone 1000-1300 hours to complete. Based on my experience so far, that is wildly optimistic. I consider myself a very careful builder, but not obsessive. In other words, I want everything to be airworthy, but gave up on perfect a long time ago. Mine will be a very capable aircraft (i.e. autopilot and fully IFR), but I'm not adding any capability that most other builders aren't. So far the only thing I've done that is "off plans" is installing the heated pitot with AOA, and yes, that ended up taking a lot more time than I would have guessed. I'm also priming everything that is interior to the aircraft, so I know that is adding to the build-time, but I figure it will be well worth the investment when I'm too old to fly anymore and it comes time to sell.
Looking ahead to what is left (fuselage, engine, avionics), and basing it on my progress to date, I'm guessing I will have at least 2000 hours or more before it leaves the ground. I'm even planning on leaving it unpainted until after it has been flying and all the bugs worked out so paint isn't factored into the build time. So, what's a realistic build time for the 14A? Just curious what other builders expended now that we have several 14s flying.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:32 AM

For the QB it took us 14 months from first rivet to first flight. We worked about 20 hours on average per week, so about 1200 hours. However, I said "we" because I had help 90% of the time (Thanks, Phoenix ) which made a big difference.

Paint took 3 months (worth it) but I had at that point already flown off most of phase 1.

Quote:
I had to build the flaps twice and lost about 3 months doing so
No judgement here, just curiosity, why does it take 3 months to build two sets of flaps?

Quote:
it will be well worth the investment when I'm too old to fly anymore and it comes time to sell
We primed where required by the instructions, and a few select areas, but not everything. Observing folks who buy or sell RVs, primer doesn't seem to be a factor.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 02-13-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:36 AM

Fair question. Due to the demanding nature of my job I only build on weekends, and even then I split my time between flying my Cessna 180 and building the RV. I typically get about 4-8 hours of productive time per weekend so it takes a while to get things done. I've been at it for about 3 years now.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 AM

I spent almost exactly 2000 hours working on my slow build RV-14 before it flew unpainted. (For me it took 5 years, 3 months between first rivet and first flight.)

Already dreaming about building again

I am a first time builder, if I was to build another 14, I'm sure I could get it done in 1500 hours
RV-14 kit #140138
Flight testing
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 02-13-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20c View Post
Fair question. Due to the demanding nature of my job I only build on weekends, and even then I split my time between flying my Cessna 180 and building the RV. I typically get about 4-8 hours of productive time per weekend so it takes a while to get things done. I've been at it for about 3 years now.
Do you already have the fuselage kit? If not, consider purchasing the QB fuselage ...

Only being able to work on it on average 6 hours per week (on a slow build) is going to turn it into a 6+ year project just doing the math .. 2000/(6*52)=6.4 .. nothing wrong with that, but it sounds like you're ready to fly!
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 02-13-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Van's website says the modern matched-hole RV14 kit might take someone 1000-1300 hours to complete.
I tried to find this on vansaircraft.com and couldn't .. if I had to guess, these numbers are based on a QB wings and fuselage ..

Edit: Found it - https://www.vansaircraft.com/time-to-build

Yea, I think this estimate is at least 500 hours low for a slow build, especially first timers.

Although we didn't rush, we kept a fair canter through the QB kits and two people to boot for that 1200 hours and 14 months. No way we could have pulled off the wings and fuselage in under 2000 hours.

Edit: Although, *just* the kit itself, with no avionics or firewall forward, maybe, just maybe, under 2000 ...
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 02-13-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I split my time between flying my Cessna 180 and building the RV.
Also, I did very little flying in that time. Whenever I wanted to go fly (or do anything else for that matter), I guilted myself to go build instead.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 02-13-2020, 11:01 AM

When I first started building I watched other's times and discovered I was a slow builder 2500 hours total. I built all slow build kits and primed everything and the wings+empennage took me 1177 hours (versus what seemed to be an average of 800 hours), so if you are 1100 hours into the wings + empennage you may be about on my pace. I looked into a quick build fuselage, a little too late, because the lead time was such that I would have 75% of the slow build done just waiting on it. If you are averaging 6 hours/week, you probably have 4.5 years to go.
RV14A #140083
Flying! 8/12/19
2019 Donation

Last edited by Tom023 : 02-13-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:39 AM

I spent 25 hrs per week (Slow Build all the way) and it took exactly 1 year. I'm estimating around 1300 hours total build time, but this was my 5th RV build, i worked on it every day with no gaps, and only had limited help where i couldn't reach. My rule was 1 hour per day, well that always resulted in several.... building is the best bad habit i ever had
Old 02-13-2020, 11:41 AM

There are many factors that affect build time, both hours and not duration. Experience, steady build time, deviation from plans, degree of quality that one aims for as well finances to have the parts available when you are ready for it are some of the contributing factor.
If one can spend a couple of hours each day/evening, I believe he/she would get a faster result than a full day every week or two weeks. Also a big contributing factor is if you can build at home vs. having to travel to a shop or hanger to work on it.

Mine took 11 months and two days from the day I ordered the kit to the day that I took it to the paint shop. I did not have a helper other than those rivets that could not be done single person. The wiring harness and cutting the panel was outsourced as well as the seats and all fiberglass work was to the paint ready stage before taking it to the paint shop. But I worked on it 6 days a week, early in the morning before I go to work and late in the evening after work.
Dues paid