What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Annual Findings and a Question

Tacco

Well Known Member
Annual - wow, that took a while!

Found I had not primed inside counterbalance arm but no corrosion visible. Left it for now. Anyone else forget to do this?

AoA failed leak check. Tracked down the fitting at the ADHRS box. Just reset it, passed fine.

Do yourself a favor, replace the Phillips head screws on all the cockpit panels with Torx....soooomuch nicer to deal with.

If you're concerned about corrosion, you could spray out the tail with Corrosion X. It takes a few minutes and lasts a couple years.

I did use cap screws on my panel, but kept Phillips for all of the floor pans to keep a smoother surface.

I found some corrosion in one of the flaperon tubes once the wings were removed. I cleaned it as best I could like the barrel of a shotgun and then applied Corrosion X like the previous post.

I will check my counter balance tube this annual. Thanks for the tip.

+1 for Torx

Just changed out Philip?s pan head for Torx at this year?s CI. Much easier and cleaner going back together. No more stripped heads. Highly recommended upgrade (but one more tool required in my travel kit).
Peter

Just changed out Philip?s pan head for Torx at this year?s CI. Much easier and cleaner going back together. No more stripped heads. Highly recommended upgrade (but one more tool required in my travel kit).
Peter

Did the same but used Allen cap screws from the start.

Pan heads on the seat pans but cap screws along the sides, in front of the spare, baggage compartment bulkhead, equipment mounting behind the panel, etc.

Are you guys using button head or flush Torx screws? And, if flush, where are you getting them?

The RV12 maintenance manual specifies the acceptable torex screw. It also specifies other substitution parts like rivets.

MM page 17-3

“Torx Drive Screw
AN526C832-R8 Phillips Truss SS X 1/2 in ↔ Fastenal 0175181 Torx, Pan Head, SS X 1/2 in (0175180, 3/8 in) NOTE: May be used in place of screws that hold all interior panels.“

Last edited:
The RV12 maintenance manual specifies the acceptable torex screw. It also specifies other substitution parts like rivets.
I should have been much more specific -- I'm just talking about the 6-32 instrument panel screws.

Thanks! I just found those, after searching for "100 degree" without "torx" in the search term.

Back