What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is the end goal of a build?

Earl Findlay

I am working away, making rather fast progress on my RV-14 kit. Days go by as I build, and I feel on top of the world. Other days, I feel completely incapable.

I am learning so much about myself through this build. One of the things that has really hit home and become apparent is that I am a perfectionist. Except I have never built an airplane before, and I am doing a far from perfect job with my build. I am not capable of doing a perfect build. Is there even such a thing I find myself wondering? I am building an airplane that’s going to be safe and certainly won’t fall out of the sky, but I don’t think that I will ever have a showpiece on my hands.

Some days, I am pretty down on myself, wondering if I am really cut out to be doing my own build. But I want it. I want it more than anything. This build for me is more about learning some life lessons, having some fun (it is hard sometimes), and in the end, having something that I can be proud of to fly around.

As I find myself missing the PERFECT mark, I wonder what’s out there? When it comes time to sell what will eventually be my airplane, do people expect perfection? Is an airplane that’s “safe” what people want? Or am I building something that nobody will want, despite it being safe, yet not perfect? Truly, what’s the end goal of a build .. an airplane that is perfect, or just an airplane that is safe?

I doubt I am alone in how I feel. I suspect many builders have been right here before. I’d enjoy hearing your thoughts on anything that I’ve brought up.

Perfection...

There is NO such thing as a perfect airplane or a perfect build...

Build to the best of your ability and be proud of the result...

There is NO such thing as a perfect airplane or a perfect build...

Build to the best of your ability and be proud of the result...

Thank you.
I realize also, I am fearful that as I eventually fly my airplane to events (Oshkosh! Local EAA Chapter, etc.) I don?t want to be embarrassed if any of my imperfections show. But as I read what you wrote, I realize that there is no reason to be embarrassed. Every airplane is going to have imperfections. And if I am able to fly there safely at all, really, I?ve accomplished the goal that I set out to do.

Every homebuilt has little flaws. I laughed at an RV the other day because I looked at his fiberglass wingtips and said "well he made the same mistake I did". Its all part of the fun. I dont see myself selling my airplane though. The only way I would is if it was just to fund another one.

I wrote on the plastic covering of one of the skins on my "Perfection is not possible, but by striving for perfection one can achieve excellence." Many years later I had to use a heat gun and sharpened pieces of canopy trimmings to scrape it off. That old white plastic was a pain! My airplane is by no means perfect and I like it a lot!

Ed Holyoke

Fourteen years later, i'm still flying my imperfect RV7. What the build process taught me was patience and tenacity. When I decided to build my airplane I had many people tell me that building an airplane in my garage was not possible and would surely lead to my demise. I can be stubborn, that was all the insentive I needed. Yes, there where many ups and downs, but I learned a lot and am still learning how to maintain this wonderful aircraft.

RV buyer, not a builder

Interesting thoughts about your building process. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and dilemma.

I purchased my -6A in 2011. I wanted a safe airplane that was well built. I?ve been averaging 100 hours of flying a year. Like that purchase, if I buy another RV I?ll be shopping for a plane that isn?t a showplane. Likely a showplane builder will look for a premium price, and my goal is flying as much as possible, not having a perfect appearance.

Do we only look for beauty in our spouse? Home? Car? Or do we also consider functions, skills, performance?

I?ve flown my plane into Osh in 2018 and 2019. There are bugs on the leading edges and the paint has chips. There are beautiful planes parked nearby and maybe they fly 100+ hours a year, or maybe they fly to Osh and live in a climate controlled hanger with someone regularly polishing them. It?s all good!

We?re all enjoying what we want from the airplane(s). I don?t take any satisfaction in completing mechanical work on my plane. My satisfaction is from safely completing flights, good decisions, solving the challenges, new flying adventures, new airports, new people....

Carl

I started my build with perfection in mind, somewhere just after the tail kit morphed into the wing kit I had to compromise. I aimed for 110% and ended up better than average and I?m OK with that. Look at my airplane and you?ll know which wing I built first. It truly is the journey that makes it more than just an airplane.

A pertinent Bill Shook quote:

"You can build an airplane or you can build a shrine to your airplane building ability. One of those flies, the other burns you out."

/ mic drop / :eek:

Attaining perfection

It is said that in some cultures, the master craftsmen and artists believe that only the gods can achieve perfection. So the craftsmen make deliberate mistakes in their work, in order to respect the gods.

Now, don't go putting a deliberate nick in that propeller!

Seriously, I don't think anyone should expect a first build to be perfect. Heck, just finishing and getting it flying is enough of an achievement. It's only on the second, or even third build that you're expected to achieve perfection.

Reads like you might be building alone. If so venture out, see if other builders are in the area. Doesn?t have to be a Vans.
For humor and a reality check....somewhere on this site....I?ve looked but cannot find it now ... is a hilarious section of the mistakes people made. It has grown to almost like a competition, many of which the builder is on his 3rd or better model.
Don?t forget to take an airplane ride now and then.

R

I have helped work on several planes. My assement from looking under the skin of the "perfect" planes, is they are surely not perfect, and not enjoyed. The ones that are not perfect (but built and maintained to be safe) are the most fun.

Same with cars, I came from the car hobby and when my cars were "perfect" it was a bit stressful, once they were not perfect they became much more enjoyable for me.

perfection...

"...It's only on the second, or even third build that you're expected to achieve perfection...."

No, you will NEVER achieve perfection...ever.

You can get incrementally closer with each build but actual perfection is unachievable.

Building an airplane puts you in a very small group; actually finishing and flying it is an even smaller group. It is an accomplishment that most people will never experience...

I?ve always said that my -6A is no award winner, but that it?s safe, reliable, and the best I could do. I know where all the imperfections are, but I?m not tell?n.

I?m now well into a Hatz Classic build, and the running joke is that I?m still in the running for a Lead Lindy.

Best quote I?ve heard regarding this subject came from Vans. ?You?re building an airplane, not a watch.?

Build on, and enjoy the journey.

Earl:

The next time you go to Oshkosh and talk to builders about their airplanes, watch their eyes. The eyes will immediately go to an area that is not "perfect", at least to them, but a casual observer will never notice. It's the nature of the process.

My mentor still laughingly reminds me of all the times I wanted to drag my project to the curb and let the trashman pick it up.

Build. Learn. Enjoy.

Chris

I'm starting homebuilt #6. #1, completed in 1983 was an OSH/Fun & Sun/Copperstate/Wright Bros award winner. It wasn't perfect, but is my favorite since it was the first. The others have been sold, and although they each were successively easier to build, I was less concerned about perfect and simply enjoyed the process of building a safe plane that I was proud of - for my own gratification and no one else. I never entered #2-#5 in any judging; didn't mean anything to me.

Relax, and enjoy the challenges of learning and building...and be proud that you're doing something very few accomplish.

Some strive for perfection and some don't. You are wise to establish realistic standards and learn the difference between perfection and quality workmanship; They are not the same. Also, learn where it is important to reach high quality and where it is not. Properly setting a rivet for example. It is important that it meets the general standard. It is a non-issue if someone can tell that your shop head is squeezed with an 10* angle instead of parallel to the surface, assuming it meets the height/width retirements.

Also, understand the differences between structural and cosemetic. On structural elements, you should strive for the "good workmanship" standard, assuming you don't want to strive for perfection. However, a lot of the build is cosemetic and you should think hard about the standard you want to achieve and the investment required to get there.

Some buyers are looking for perfection and others are not. Many factors go into selling a bird and what price it fetches in the open market.

Larry

Last edited:
The reason we have so many positive descriptive words -- "excellent," "great," "beautiful," "perfect" -- in our language is because they each have different meanings.

Perfection is an impossible goal, and has proven over and over again to be the enemy of both finishing and personal satisfaction. The other words, well those are worth striving for and measuring against - but none of them imply "perfect" and they allow for a tad bit more subjectivity.

To answer the original question, the goal of my build is to fly my aircraft, not to make a perfect aircraft. Yes, I want to be a perfectionist... but I'm currently incapable of meeting my own standards. As long as I come close, and other experienced builders say they respect the quality of my work, I know I'm ok. That's what keeps me working through the days that I curse taking on a project of this immensity that can occasionally seem impossible.

1) Build your horizontal stab
2) Drop a bucking bar on it from a height of about a foot (on the underside, preferably)
3) Build on!

Once you've got a little blem, it frees you up tremendously. I agonized over that first ding, but after a little filler you can't even see it under the paint.

Good luck with your build.

Talking to an old carpenter about build quality once. He said: "There's a lot of excellent builders out there, but the mark of the true expert is how good he is at hiding his mistakes"

A few thoughts...

My goal was to end up with a safe, dependable airplane. Second was to enjoy the process. Really didn?t consider what a potential buyer would think. When I look at my plane I see the mistakes I made. Several builders have crawled all over and under it and said they were impressed with my work. Maybe they were being kind but you are your own worst critic.

1. Go look at a production airplane...really look. You?re sure to find numerous ?imperfections? that do not affect safety in any appreciable way. I think a decent paint job conceals many things you as a builder would consider defects but are actually only evidence that a human being put it together.

2. Follow the construction manual and relevant guidance like AC 43-13-1b and safety should not be a concern. For the big stuff (wing attach bolts, motor mount, prop hub bolts, fuel system, etc) I believe a helper and later an independent set of eyes on your work should ease any concerns that you did it right. Plenty of people have remade a trim tab, flap/aileron/rudder, or resealed a fuel tank (me) that didn?t come out right. Sound building practice means you fix the things that do not conform to the specifications IMHO. That does NOT imply perfection however.

3. Nothing wrong with trying for a perfect appearance. But...one day you will get to the end of the build manual and realize it?s time to get serious about getting your airplane to an airworthy condition. Since my first love was flying and not building I had to accept some of my cosmetic failings as proof that I was a first time builder and get the darn thing in the air.

These planes are great fun to build but incredible to fly. Don?t let perfection get on the way of completion. Finish it and get in the air!!

The actual goal , as several have alluded to, of completing the first build is to get it done so you can start your second RV. Rinse and repeat....

Bob

nobody will ever build a perfect airplane... or a house or a chair. because humans are just not perfect (except politicians of course).

Make it safe and relax over time and at the end you will love your aircraft.

I was very worried that some of my little mistakes would stick out like sore thumbs when I ended up painting my airplane. Also worried that my fiberglass skills and the insane effort I expended on those (^)*& fiberglass parts was falling short. Now that it's painted most of those issues are distant memories. I look at certified airplanes from time to time and compare workmanship and I'm pretty satisfied with my work most of the time. A friend of mine had his Bonanza in annual recently and had some smoking rivets that I inspected from the inside - those shop heads were unimpressive to say the least, and the airplane only developed a minor problem after 45+ years and 7000 hours of flying - it was an airline trainer for most of its life.

An RV builder asked me early in the process "are you building a go plane or a show plane?" I was definitely more on the "go plane" side of things - make it solid and dependable and focus less on the cosmetics. But cosmetics turned out just fine in the process. Having an EAA tech counselor who is a true expert at all things RV looking over my shoulder on a regular basis was a HUGE help in building my confidence and developing an understanding of what the difference between must have and nice to have are in building an airplane.

Last edited:
Build it the best you can then pay for a really good paint job. Problem solved.
Had to laugh when I read this. Since I'm doing my own paint, and a first time painter, some of my biggest flaws will be the most obvious! Can't care too much... I just want it to fly well and often.

goals can change over time

If your build goes on for many years, there's a chance your goals can change. I know mine did. I started the build because I wanted a unique aircraft. As I began to build, I realized that the build process itself was very rewarding - I didn't know what I didn't know, and I learned many things that I would never have predicted I would learn.

Like others have said, I hope to eventually apply what I have learned by building another aircraft - I certainly understand why people are repeat offenders!

Had to laugh when I read this. Since I'm doing my own paint, and a first time painter, some of my biggest flaws will be the most obvious! Can't care too much... I just want it to fly well and often.

Having painted several cars and a couple planes, you will soon find out that you can repair paint flaws, just like the sheet metal and fiberglass flaws. Just a matter of time and frustration. As I am sure you have heard, the hard part of painting is the ability to visualize paint on your prepped materials so that you can properly prep. Painting is ALL in the prep.

Larry

Back