- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2019, 11:15 PM

Default Grass Strip/Homesite Planning

Looking for advice in planning our Grass Strip/Homesite, it's 660'x2640' (40acres longways north) and relatively flat. I'm trying to draw up my proposal to send to the county for the Special Use Permit and want to be as accurate as possible.

I've walked the property with my "Dirt Guy" and his advice was to put the runway next to the west side of the property to work with the natural drainage. There is a tree row along the north half that I don't want to tear out as well as I would much prefer the house/hangar on the West side of the runway.

I was hoping to put the runway on the east side of the property, this would require a several small culverts as there is not enough slope for the larger ones needed. The smaller culverts would also require vigilance as the adjacent field debris would be flowing into the culverts. More expensive to build and work to keep up.

Pics of the property after 8 inches of rain this spring, You can see the drainage looking north.

Pic this fall after the beans were harvested looking south.

An initial sketch of a compromise trying to meet our Wants, This configuration makes it runway 02/200. "Dirt Guy" thinks this is a good plan, the south half of the runway would be built up slightly to funnel the water into the finger of trees on the south side. It would also dry out the southeast corner.
--Length--depends on the layout but 2300'+ is doable in all configurations
--Width--60' is a good compromise on cost, use and maintenance
--I'm told I want to use Bermuda grass (Kansas)
--Obstacles--Bury powerlines on north, live with trees on the south. House, Hangar, Trees 100' laterally from runway centerline.
--House--500'+ off the road
--Zoning requires 150' laterally for house from property boundary
--House and hangar on West side of runway, Hangar door facing east to the runway to avoid the prevailing north/south winds and summer evening sun.
--Retain some crop land for income

The angled truck tracks roughly represent the runway location as described above, looking south.

I appreciate any advice you can give!

Last edited by crabandy : 11-07-2019 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:28 PM

How do you line up with prevailing winds?

Try this, click on closest location to you:

http://windhistory.com/map.html#6.00/37.905/-98.510
Old 11-07-2019, 01:54 AM

Default Advice

My advice is based on my experience from putting in a grass strip on my farm, so I'm familiar with making compromises. I mulled it over and walked the options many times before committing. We have 135 acres, roughly square shaped, and the strip is 650 m long by 15 m wide (2100 ft x 45 ft) with buffers between the thresholds of the strip and the fences. The buffer is 500' one end and 165' the other.

You mention that the prevailing winds are from the east and the strip is going to run approximately north/south. So there will be crosswinds to deal with. It looks like your block is rectangular, otherwise I'd suggest trying to angle the strip diagonally across the field, more like 05-23, from a wind perspective.

The other thing to consider is the approaches and what space is available if there is an engine failure after take-off. The neighbouring properties are not visible in your photos but I would try to align the strip to avoid trees, ponds, power lines, buildings etc. Some relatively small adjustments to the position may be of significant benefit.

I also started out with a "Dirt Guy" for some drainage but decided to finish the strip myself, as he was more of a "bulldozer" guy than a "final cut" guy. You want to try to keep your good top soil intact if you're planning on planting grass.

We also have crops up to the edge of our strip so that can be done, and the farming contractor knows to stay off the strip with heavy machinery and herbicides.

The other thing I'd suggest is to fly some missed approaches first, if you are permitted and able to do that. I did this by marking out the ground with some tarpaulins that were visible from the air, and then flew down almost to the deck to prove that the proposed strip could work.
O-320 FP
Flying the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 11-07-2019, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
How do you line up with prevailing winds?

Try this, click on closest location to you:

http://windhistory.com/map.html#6.00/37.905/-98.510
Prevailing winds are north/south, cool website!
Old 11-07-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
My advice is based on my experience from putting in a grass strip on my farm, so I'm familiar with making compromises. I mulled it over and walked the options many times before committing. We have 135 acres, roughly square shaped, and the strip is 650 m long by 15 m wide (2100 ft x 45 ft) with buffers between the thresholds of the strip and the fences. The buffer is 500' one end and 165' the other.

You mention that the prevailing winds are from the east and the strip is going to run approximately north/south. So there will be crosswinds to deal with. It looks like your block is rectangular, otherwise I'd suggest trying to angle the strip diagonally across the field, more like 05-23, from a wind perspective.

The other thing to consider is the approaches and what space is available if there is an engine failure after take-off. The neighbouring properties are not visible in your photos but I would try to align the strip to avoid trees, ponds, power lines, buildings etc. Some relatively small adjustments to the position may be of significant benefit.

I also started out with a "Dirt Guy" for some drainage but decided to finish the strip myself, as he was more of a "bulldozer" guy than a "final cut" guy. You want to try to keep your good top soil intact if you're planning on planting grass.

We also have crops up to the edge of our strip so that can be done, and the farming contractor knows to stay off the strip with heavy machinery and herbicides.

The other thing I'd suggest is to fly some missed approaches first, if you are permitted and able to do that. I did this by marking out the ground with some tarpaulins that were visible from the air, and then flew down almost to the deck to prove that the proposed strip could work.
Paul,

Prevailing wind is north/south. I wanted the hangar door to face 90 degrees to the prevailing wind and afternoon/evening summer sun.
North side is good for forced landings, south not so much. Good idea to fly over and check out the options to the south.
“Dirt Guy” plans on scraping the topsoil off the driveway and using that dirt to build up the crown for the runway preserving the topsoil.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:11 AM

Default Wind

Andy,
Glad to hear the prevailing wind is north/south, I misunderstood post #1 and thought you had easterlies.
Any more info needed, just let me know, there's other decisions ahead like hangar/doors, mowing machine, wind sock etc. Lots of fun!
Regards
Paul.
O-320 FP
Flying the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 11-07-2019, 07:20 AM

Default Irrigate

If you have the funds.... put irrigation in during the construction phase. It’ll help with growing in the grass and will look much better and stay healthier.

In Florida, every winter we would lose grass and weeds encroached. Now with irrigation... wow!
Super Explorer Flying
bwhidden@totallymod.com
Old 11-07-2019, 07:51 AM

Default Info

There are several informational packages on planning and building your strip available from the EAA and AOPA. Some good info there...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 11-07-2019, 08:05 AM

Wow Andy! Very exciting! Once you have lived with your plane, you will forever be ruined from anything else!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Build Blog http://mikesrv7.blogspot.com/
Dues Paid
Old 11-07-2019, 08:27 AM

I would orientate my house to the runway and not the lot lines. Looks like your hanger opening would face slight SE which is ideal to deflect the cold winter winds as you sit in the sunshine with coffee in hand in front of your hanger.

I have my house and hanger relatively close together for entertainment and convenience purposes. Food coming out, ladies going in to use the restrooms, etc. Connecting hard surface, no mud in the house or on the ladies shoes.

If you go with a ‘hydroswing’ hanger door, pay extra for galvanized. Ones on my strip require a lot of rust maintenance. I went with an aluminum by-fold. Glad I did....zero maintenance. Get the widest door you can afford. I would put your 80’ facing the runway.

33 years living the dream.

R