What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone riveting

Blizzard

Not clear on how much of the tailcone is clecoed together before riveting begins. The instructions seem to say you cleco both sides, the bottom, the stringers, and bulkheads and aft skin first. Wondering how you get to the bottom skins for riveting. Seems like it would be easier access to rivet the bottom skins to the stringers and frames prior to clecoing the other side skin on. While its still hanging upside down on the sawhorses. Appreciate any tips you have.

I followed what they recommend. I figured it was that way to avoid adding a twist or damaging the bulkheads and frames if they were dangling in the wind. Plus you really can't assemble the sides separately anyways.

The bottom is annoying to rivet solo but it can (mostly) be done if you back rivet except for the radii around the frames and bulkheads. You will need a helper for at least the forward 3 unless you have really long arms. And you will need a helper to do the top skins.

Ed Kranz has a good time lapse video on his blog showing how he back riveted most of the tail cone skins. http://www.goodplaneliving.com/tail-cone-assembly-is-in-full-swing/

I mostly followed his example except I think I just stood on a stool and reached over the side skins to back rivet the bottom skin rather than climbing into the tail cone to reach them. I switched to a bucking bar for the bulkhead rivets and the side skin to bottom skin rivets.

You could also just put the tail cone on its side and use a riveting partner to do the bottom skins. That's probably how you'll have to do the side skin to bottom skin rivets anyway.

Back