What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vibrating Flap Handle

Tacco

Well Known Member
Today on approach my flap handle began vibrating noticeably. 60kts and full flaps. No vibration through the stick at all. Went away on final. When I say noticeable it was vibrating against my leg significantly. I?d say the end end (button) was displacing plus and minus 1/8 - 1/4 laterally. What the heck!

That is indeed odd, and I'd want to figure out the reason before further flight. There was an SB for inspecting the flaperon bearing bracket. Have you done that inspection?

Yes, very odd. What makes it really odd is that there was no stick vibration. I don?t think it was a control surface problem or a issue with the brackets and pushrods. And yes I complied with the SB. Upon landing, the handle doesn?t appear loose. Could it be that I just hit some kind of resonant vibration frequency of the flap handle itself? I wouldn?t even know how to troubleshoot this one.

Could it be that I just hit some kind of resonant vibration frequency of the flap handle itself?
That would be my guess. I had a similar issue in a Piper Warrior that I owned. On short final, at a certain rpm under certain conditions, the door handle would suddenly come alive and start vibrating like crazy! It would only happen occasionally, but when it did, it was loud enough to be quite startling. I tried to track down what was causing it, but was unsuccessful.

Pretty much determined I need to dynamically balance the prop. Anyone know where to rent a Dynavibe?

Steve, I don't know where white Salmon is but the EAA chapter in Puyallup does dynamic prop balances for $50.00 if you are a member of EAA.

Back