What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bahamas Documentation / Documents Question

bsacks05

Well Known Member
I have been doing some online research about flying to the Bahamas. Looks easy enough but I understand that there are different regs for experimentals. The AOPA site says that experimentals need to apply for permission from the Bahamas aviation authority a few weeks prior to the trip. Also proof of insurance is required.
Is this true regarding RVs?
I plan on ordering the 2007 Bahamas Pilot's Guide and possibly calling the Bahamas authorities but would like some input here first.

Bruce,
Check your operating limitations. They should state;
"This aircraft does not meet the requirements of the applicable, comprehensive, and detailed airworthiness code as provided by annex 8 of the ICAO. The owner/operator of this aircraft must obtain written permission from another country's CAA proir to operating this aircraft over that country............"
It should be in the paragraph just before the paragraph about having to have a condition inspection.
You'll also have to have 12" N numbers.
972-784-7544

A little more info

Mel said:
Bruce,
Check your operating limitations. They should state;
"This aircraft does not meet the requirements of the applicable, comprehensive, and detailed airworthiness code as provided by annex 8 of the ICAO. The owner/operator of this aircraft must obtain written permission from another country's CAA proir to operating this aircraft over that country............"
It should be in the paragraph just before the paragraph about having to have a condition inspection.
You'll also have to have 12" N numbers.
972-784-7544
1. Yes, what he said.
2. Check with AOPA, too. About flying there in any airplane.
3. Canada is an automatic OK for experimental if you put in your on-board file a copy of the letter from them which can be found on EAA's site. At least that's what my DAR said and I did. The Canadian OK is reciprocal for all you Canadians listening.

I sent you an email with the Docs you will need. Just download the waivers, have black tape or12"#s, file an International flight plan. I've heard that the FBO at FT Pierce will walk you through it as well, just talk to them on your way out. Get the Customs sticker a head of time and carry the Bahamas Waiver with you. It's a very pretty trip, after the first time it will be easier and less intimidating. email me if I can be of more help. Larry

Bahamas

A Standardized Validation has been approved for Experimental, for the purpose of operating a U.S. or Canada-registered amateur-built aircraft in Bahamian airspace. Please visit www.flying.bahamas.com or call the Bahamas Tourist Office: (800) 327-7678 for a copy of the approval.

Also, you need Mode C transponder
12" numbers
U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket for each person on board.

In real life, however, bring "green", tip well (customs & immigration), have your paperwork filled out in advance (form C7A, three copies coming in, three copies going out), nobody looks at your aircraft.

When re-entering the U.S., make sure that you have a Customs appointment at the closest airport-of-entry with U.S. Customs. Notify them at least one hour prior to your arrival, or you could be looking at a $10,000 fine!

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I am aware of the 12 inchers, customs sticker, international flight plan, etc..
I guess it comes down to the waiver letter which I have seen. Does possession of the waiver exempt you from going through the permission process and providing proof of insurance (which I don't have) to the Bahamanian officials?
From the post trip posts I've read, no one has mentioned the process to obtain permission to fly an experimental to the Bahamas. Sounds like you get the sticker, file a couple forms, file an international flight plan and go. Upon return, 12" numbers, flight plan, and advise customs w/in one hour of arrival.
Larry, the email you sent could not be displayed for some reason. Can you try it again.
Thanks again guys!

Ask Rosie...........

Send a PM or email to Paul Rosales (Rosie on the forums). I believe he and his wife have taken their RV to the Bahamas many times (and all the way from California, I might add :D )

<<bring "green", tip well (customs & immigration), >>

Hmmm, didn't know that. I would have assumed tipping public officials to be a bad idea, "bribes" all that, at least in the developed nations. How much is appropriate? Is it on the quiet?

Bahamas

Bruce,

Gary hit it on the head.

As we speak Rosie and 7 other RV'ers are flying home from our trip to the Turks and Caicos and they are considered part of the Bahamas and the guys flew threw there and can answer any question you have.

Landing fees (you bet!), fuel, where, how much, Customs issues, forms, best places to stop etc.

Cathy and I had to go commercial and met up in Provo then Rosie and Bryan Wood picked us up and brought us to Grand Turk.

40 Minutes over blue Carribean waters in RV's! Oh Man!

I'm telling you these are THE guys to ask. Not me I was just a passenger and had a huge RV grin, as did Cathy when we landed.

Give the guys a day or two to get home and I'm sure they'll throw in.

Be well all and pound those rivets, this was a blast!

Bruce,

You may wish to attend the Mooney Pilot's fly in lunch at LZU on 5/26 (Flying Machine). There is a presentation scheduled on "Flying to the Bahamas", which may give you some good info and/or ideas of places to visit.

It would also be an excellent opportunity to take me for a ride in your 9. :D

Sorry about the attachments not going through. We just got back from there and still on the road touring the east coast. The email service I use on the road sucks so if you still need more info, email me in about 2 weeks and We should be home. It looks like you have all the info you need though. I think the most important 2 things are is to personally call US customs, ADCUS works but they really want a call, with a time of arrival and call FSS for a discreat Xponder code just before entering the ADIZ. Larry

Bahama Flight - Feb 2007

Bruce, my wife and I flew to the Bahamas a couple of months ago in the RV-10. It is really pretty easy. There are tons of small airplanes flying back and forth everyday.

I have a folder at home with all the forms I can go through with you.
Just print up the waiver and have that with you. You will not need any special permission with your experimental although I did call the Bahamas office and send them all my flight documents. When you search the web be a little careful. Lots of information is out dated including a few things on the AOPA site.

Make sure you have your customs sticker. You will absolutely need that when you come back into the country.
I also bought an FCC license for the plane, but most don't have this and no one checked.

To be honest with you, the only thing I used was the customs sticker. You have to write that number down when you come back into the country. Going over was pretty easy, I filled out the paperwork when I got there but you can fill it out in advance as well. They are pretty helpful.

I also talked with Rosie a couple of times and he was very helpful and stepped me through the process. Feel free to give me a call as well (check P/M).

When you come back, I heard all these horror stories about having to land exactly when you said you would, and they unload your plane and hastle you like crazy but I did not find that to be true at all. No one even came out to my plane. I unloaded my baggage, went inside where one guy was sitting. I filled out the paperwork he stamped it and I was off. Pretty easy.

I flew IFR both ways but VFR is just as easy from what everyone says. It is coming back that is more critical. They really want you to come over there.

Unfortunately, a family emergency brought us home early but it was a beautiful flight over and we will be back someday.

Here are some links from Paul on his flights.
http://www.paulrosales.com/

Leaving Fort Pierce Airport
139103292-L-1.jpg

139116681-M.jpg

139116689-L-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
more pics

Yup, the screen is now completely blue.
139116665-M-1.jpg

Over the water with our lifevests on!
139116652-M.jpg

Why wouldn't you want to go!
139116609-L.jpg

Great pictures and advice Scott. Thanks to everyone I think I have the answer to my main question. I still plan to call the Bahamas just to be sure. John, I would definately like to attend the Bahamas meeting and may make it to your pancake breakfast this Saturday. Will you be there?

Scott flew to Grand Turk?

Amazing. You will have to clarify the advance requirement (if factual) needed to enter the Bahamas.

Yes

Hey Ron,
Several guys did........just about every year. Rosie (Paul Rosales) and his wife flew to SunF from California, then to the Bahamas and back!! These little rocketships are designed to go a loooong ways off :)

Try it, you'll like it,

Scott flew there and back

Hi Ron,

Yeah we flew to Grand Turk and back with Rosie, Jim Baker, Gary Z, Bryan Wood, Gene Larsen, Larry Schneider and Mercedes Eulitt. We had a blast, did some diving, made some good friends and loved it. My wife went also and we are working on a trip report which we will post when we get it done.

As far as the advance requirements I know of none. We just had our customs stickers/passports, all normally required airplane documentation and 12 inch N numbers, of course. We purposely stopped in the Bahamas at Stella Maris (to file a flight plan) on the way back to avoid getting a specific waiver which would have allowed us to travel from the British West Indies straight into the USA.

Be on the lookout for upcoming trip reports from those who went.

Experimentals to Bahamas

At one time experimentals needed some sort of advance "Mother may I" permission to go to the Bahamas. Sounds like that may no longer be correct.

Ron, Your Correct

ronlee said:
At one time experimentals needed some sort of advance "Mother may I" permission to go to the Bahamas. Sounds like that may no longer be correct.
Once upon a time many eons ago the Bahamas required permission to enter with an experimental aircraft. After out first trip in the RV's to Pitt's Town Point, Crooked Island Bahamas (2002) and the hoops we went through to get said permission they dropped it. There is a form that you download from the Bahamas Aviation Dept. that you carry on board (not that anyone ever asked to see it) that allows experimentals to fly in Bahama air space.

Documentation for flying to the Bahamas

Hi Bruce, It truly is VERY easy to fly from the USA to the Bahamas (or Cayman Islands or Turks & Caicos or all the way to Trinidad), and it's even a more special experience to fly your own RV there!!!!!!!!

Coming home can be two-fold: It can either be PLEASANT or UNPLEASANT depending on who in the Customs office processes you back into the USA...

Here's what I learned from my trips traveling with the Master traveler, Jim 'Jimmyb' Baker;

Required Docs:

*Valid Passport for you and your crew member(s) Note: Your passport must be valid for at least 2 months after your return date.
*Valid Pilot License (the new 'credit card' one with the 'English proficient' wording on the back)
*Valid Medical Certificate
*Valid Airworthiness
*Valid Registration

Online Registration

*Customs and Border Protection's eAPIS information and login/enrollment pages Note: I still don't believe the process is user-friendly as the website claims.
*Customs decal Note: I've been told you can buy it on the spot but haven't tried this

Aircraft:

*Life vest for each crew member
*12" N numbers
*A working radio
*Mode C transponder
*A copy of your aircraft insurance policy (desirable) and ensure (or call to get it added) it covers the British West Indies which includes the Bahamas, Greater Antilles (Caymans) and Lesser Antilles (all islands past Bahamas to South America)

I do not carry and have not ever been asked for a radio station license (or any other aircraft documentation for the plane)...ever...but you can read all you want on the radio license subject here.

Forms:

*International Flight Plan (Fill out at home then use it when you call Int'l FSS)
*Bahamas Waiver (Carry a copy in the plane)
*Bahamas C7A form (Present 2 copies to the official upon arrival)
*Bahamas In/Out Declaration form (Present 2 copies to the official upon arrival and departure)
*FAA Waiver (can't seem to get a good answer if still required: print it out and take it anyway)

Credit Cards:

I recommend either Discover or Capital One Credit Cards as the do NOT charge foreign transaction fees!

For the International flight plan, you can fill it out best you can at home, but honestly, when you call to file, let the briefer know this is your first time across the water and they will walk you through the form, NO PROBLEM!!! They are there to help ;-)

Note: For ANY form you fill out in the Bahamas, you have NO passengers, ALL are crew!!! This will save you $$$ in the Bahamas.

There is no need to tip any Bahamian official. Just pay what they ask of you, and take CASH.

Before Departing the USA:

*File with eAPIS then wait for the e-mail.....You must have (receive) your EAPIS e-mail indicating you are cleared to depart to the USA!!!
*File your international flight plan

After takeoff

*Squawk 1200 (if VFR departure)
*Contact FSS to open your flight Plan
*Close your flight plan prior to landing or call afterwards

Returning to USA, prior to departure:

*Login to eAPIS and get squared away with them then wait for your e-mail: You must have (receive) your EAPIS e-mail indicating you are cleared to return to the USA!!!
*File your international flight plan and include ADCUS in the remarks section.
*TELEPHONE Customs (at your airport of entry: AOE) directly and give them your ETA. You may change your ETA enroute with FSS but you need to ask them to notify Customs. This is still required even though you checked in via eAPIS...

Returning to USA, after takeoff:

*Squawk 1200 (if VFR departure)
*Prior to entering the ADIZ, contact FSS and obtain your discrete SQUAWK code. Do NOT cross the ADIZ without it!!!
*Arrive at your AOE AT or within 15 minutes AFTER your ETA. Do NOT arrive early…you can radio ahead and try to notify Customs that you'll be early/late or you can slow down enroute or circle if you have to. NEVER arrive early without prior notification!!!
*Close your flight plan prior to landing or call afterwards

After landing
*Taxi DIRECTLY to the Customs 'Penalty Box': Do not go anywhere else, do not pass GO!!!!
*Take your required docs and (write down) your Customs decal number to take into Customs.
*Take your clothing bags with you unless otherwise directed (no need to carry in tool bags, scuba bag etc…)
*TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE before entering the building.
*Fill out your USA Customs 6095B form and any other form they have for you
*Be nice, smile no matter how rude they might be…

I've posted all my trip reports to the Islands and elsewhere on my website.

If you've ever considered a trip to the Bahamas or beyond, I encourage you to make the trip... and the more RVs that can join you, the merrier!

Also, if you are considering a guided trip to the Caribbean, Jim Parker of Caribbean Flying Adventures, is the Master Tour Guide for the Caribbean and you could fly in his group trips. He can also help secure your Cuban Overflight Permit if you are flying to the Cayman Islands (~2.5 RV hours from Key West). Jim's website has a ton of information on flying to the Caribbean. I've been a member since 2004, and he's only a phone call away with questions that I need answered. He's a person, not a book :D I'm not paid by Jim or receive anything for promoting his website; I just like to share good websites for flying with my fellow RVers!

Our next trip is set for 2017. Contact me if you'd like to join us :) Rosie

Last edited:
Paul,
Thank you very much! I sent you an email a couple days ago.
So far, we are planning on going through Ft. Pierce, FLA to Marsh Harbor on the Abacos. Seems like there is a good choice of places to stay, eat, and shop. Plus some snorkling. My daughter and I will probably stay 2 or 3 nights. I got the 2007 Bahamas Pilots Guide, sent for the customs decal, and downloaded the forms. Mid June is when we will be going.
Also been watching Bahamas flying videos on youtube!

My wife and I just got back last week. Flew from OKC to FPR (Ft Pierce) then to Freeport for a few days. Just as everyone has said, its easy. No one looked at my "Bahamas Experimental Flight Permit" or whatever its called. (or the Radio Operators Permit and Radio Station License for that matter) They are easy going on that side. Coming back just be ontime for customs. They just wanted my paperwork, customs sticker #, medical, Passport, and license. FPR is the way to go..they have all the forms at the "Tiki Hut" and customs is easy on the return. Cheap gas at the Shell self serve, $3.65/gal as of last week. I paid $4.97 in PNS, FL....thankfully only needed 8 gallons. Filled up at Port St Louis, MS on the way down for $3.40. (Still not as good as when I topped off in Hinton Ok (2O8) for $2.95. Gas in Freeport was $5.50, but I tend to tanker cheap gas in my tip tanks...they are paying for themselves...slowly...but we did do some 5 hr legs with 2.5 hours of reserve fuel. Came home through John Tune (JWN) in nashville (after running my thighs into the ground in the nashville marathon), stopped at North Little Rock (OCK I think?) and paid $4.04 at the self serve....beat the $4.99 that they wanted in Nashville. I digress.....just fillout the paperwork, pack as minimally as possible and enjoy the trip!!!

Kurt Klewin
OKC, OK

Thanks Rosie (and the master)

That is perfect. Seems like I was going on this same trip a year or so ago and stopped when I found out that my insurance was not valid in T&C or wherever you went that year. Was that the case this time (no insurance coverage?)

From Rosie: My AIG insurance listed the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos already ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of us did, some did not

Some the flyers insurance covered the planes and some did not. As Rosie stated AIG does cover the Turks, mine did not but it really did not matter as I only carry liability so I can fly Young Eagles and friends.

ronlee said:
That is perfect. Seems like I was going on this same trip a year or so ago and stopped when I found out that my insurance was not valid in T&C or wherever you went that year. Was that the case this time (no insurance coverage?)

From Rosie: My AIG insurance listed the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos already ;)

Flying Experimental to Bahamas

For those that have gone recently - is there currently any special requirement/form/process necessary for us Experimentals to fly in the Bahamas?

I ran across a letter on the EAA website about "Standardised Validation of Special Airworthiness Certificate - Experimental... Registered Amateur-Built Aircraft in Bahamian Airspace" dated Aug 2003.

Is compliance with this letter still good enough or has anything changed, or does anybody down there really care?

We are thinking about doing a little island hopping right after Osh this year if the weather holds out (no hurricanes!)

Tim,
Download all the forms from Rosie's post on this same thread. I did, and of course nobody in the Bahamas wanted to look at them. But, better to have them just in case. The letter you mentioned is one of them. No one asked for a radio license (I don't have) or insurance either.
Upon return, US customs looked at my airworthiness cert., registration, medical, and my customs decal number. That was it.
We went last month and when I go again I think it will be in the fall or late winter because it was 90+ and humid when we were there. A little too warm for me.

Back