What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heater Fresh Air Supply

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I need to cut the hole in the baffles for the fresh air supply for the heat muff. I think the heat muff will go on the #1 cylinder exhaust pipe. Does the 2" fresh air hole go in the right side cowling inlet baffle ramp? Does it matter where on this ramp? I have the 180 HP horizontal induction IO-360 Lycoming.

Thanks,

I need to cut the hole in the baffles for the fresh air supply for the heat muff. I think the heat muff will go on the #1 cylinder exhaust pipe. Does the 2" fresh air hole go in the right side cowling inlet baffle ramp? Does it matter where on this ramp? I have the 180 HP horizontal induction IO-360 Lycoming.

Thanks,

Which exhaust are you installing? For the crossover with heat muff on cyl. #1 it will be located in the front right inlet ramp per drawing OP-33.

pvfB-E1lFgttkp-pCtyn3vpaRhivAQMtY4UFDrPPnds7UTw-jYm6s9eTfwmR1Jnj_mtynygHwOshkjBMkM3YgH-_Pk09XuP39nNSJN0JZ8BEhWKGdDnXA9vrEfP6UHykHybqRpHzhv4L4DdtRdQK81wEeX-5qFf9fAiOtLtrMcQrdS8z1dFtRvCNXy_BMj0jdvKX57bwR_KXRtZqyNuvmxR02nXa7Mw-wQVFKRUUyLBbsUuFiJajxGlx5_zLPN9IuiDgFhcOKN7DBC0UEiFCyPJl-_xWu11-yHt5A-eO896DtrtsNDJeQx2XiHsS8PXl81pG9pySzSB4PIcEsspZ312G05wdDlNF46U7FYhVISKgr9OaoHz9-a8fK-lcalvPFmfbA9hKy5oFOi9wyI1_dUhlrEnBWIfWmypwH8L4a0lfmYPSV59VC4z7GaqZXFVogCNkp91aOQBxdYGrKpX1YDnPV1s3rlooHz2K_ksYcnEXK9pAIbDhfqhbUL7AANxQjXSjwxPpJcPsGpNIne8vFjE90hbwoqAaOY4Ygm8kXssa8CWwbv4chlz4AIxZMk_2azITNJIt3VdZ7R4RnM9ADBrpE2DiM0ws-5MK9bbwKLzLOM7zdesBJR5N8R701I86CzvWE_h7zmcyc6B-yyQzKRQDe6Cqpxc=w1414-h939-no

If you are using the 4-pipe with 2 pipe heat muff then it will come off the rear baffle behind cyl. #3 per instructions that come with the baffle kit. I don't have that readily available. I'll scan and post pic tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

I have a similar engine with a cross-over exhaust and that is where I put my air intake hole and heat muff. I got a 90-degree duct adapter from Van's to make the intake hose connection work from the intake ramp to the muff, then ran my scat tube beneath the cylinders but above the intake and exhaust tubes on the right side.

As a side note the warm air source for my RV8 comes from the exhausted air that passes thru the firewall mounted oil cooler. I have a cockpit controllable flap to either direct the spent warm air into the cockpit or overboard, works well with not threat of exhaust fumes. Just another option is all:)

So I'm trying to install my heat muff now (Rv-7, IO-360, vetterman exhaust)....

Just trial fitting the scat tube under the 1&3 cylinders, inside the intake/exhaust tubes per the plans. Needless to say, it's going to be a real challenge to keep it from touching anything! And it looks like it will be really close to the #3 exhaust.

Anyone have pics on how they did this?

Back