What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Take off to cruise FPM

mdmba

So question for you RV10 Drivers...lets set up the scenario.
Sea Level, Standard Temp etc day,. VFR departure, climbing to 9500, no airspace to deal with, full gross wt, CS prop, AP.

How does your take off to cruise climb go? What is your IAS at on climb? What is your FPM climb? RPM/MAP? Do you get High CHT on Climb outs to cruise alt?

I want to hear opinions on this..no right/wrong answers...just wanna see what the hives thinks

Marlon

I generally climb out at 120 KIAS, WOT, RPM dialed back to 2400 after reaching pattern altitude for cooling and hold that all the way to my target. After leveling off and accelerating to cruise I dial the RPM back a little bit more to 2350 or so and go LOP on the mixture.

I generally climb out at 120 KIAS, WOT, RPM dialed back to 2400 after reaching pattern altitude for cooling and hold that all the way to my target. After leveling off and accelerating to cruise I dial the RPM back a little bit more to 2350 or so and go LOP on the mixture.

Ditto the above. If your engine is new with higher CHT's then lower the nose for better cooling till things are better. After break in the above should work for most.

I set a rate of climb and let the speed take care of itself. If I am climbing for a tailwind, I use 1000 fpm, if cruise climbing, 800 fpm. Ususally true around 140 knots in climb.

I have the rare carbeurated motor so the CHT?s are lower at full throttle even if way over squared due to the autorich function.

If I am light and am concerned about noise (fly in community after midnight), I takeoff at 23 squared and still outclimb my old Grumman Tiger.

Everything forward then start dialing the prop back to 2500-2550 once I'm at 90 kts. Initial climb is 90 kts till the end of the runway, then I go flaps up (from trail to reflex), lower the nose to 110 -130 kts, and 25 squared for climb. Initial climb will show 1700 - 1900 fpm. I will usually see 700 - 1200 fpm burning 17 gph in cruise-climb.

If it's a hot day in the summer time I'll climb at 130. This time of the year I can climb faster but once I'm above 3500 my cruise-climb is usually 200-300 fpm and 140-150 kts. This is usually with 2 on board and half to full fuel.

Cruise altitude will be determined by winds aloft but I expect to see full throttle, 2300-2400 rpm, and 13.5 gph ^8000 feet and 172 kts over the ground.

-Marc

Last edited:
Try this.

The most efficient climb-cruise-descent profile is achieved like this.

1. Takeoff at WOT/2700/full rich. At higher fields you may need to lean to about 1300dF (based on mags not EI's)
2. Climb WOT/2700/ Target EGT (1300 in these planes) and at Vz which is 120-125KIAS
3. Cruise WOT / 2300-2500 (pick a smooth spot, many use about 2300-2400) and appropriately LOP. That is 10-20dF at higher levels, 25-40 mid levels and 50-80 at sea level to say 3000'. A well executed Big Mixture Pull will be fine at any level.
4. descent .....nose over, maybe remove a few hundred RPM, back the throttle off to remain out of the yellow arc.......Mixture leave well alone unless there is any sign of stumbles, then only tweak it enough to smooth them out. Land, ICO at the hangar or ramp. If you really cant do the lean landing, go full rich and then lean again for taxi.

Back