What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10-Top Cowling Cracks-Nose-Help

jcfolck

I have cracks on the upper half of the engine cowling of a RV10.
They start from the in front of the three screws and the first screw hole then go up around half of the curve of the nose on both sides.

I took it off this weekend and put two lawyers of fiberglass on the back side, even around the curved portion. Flew it 4 hours not sure its stopped cracking further?? I ve started taking pictures after each flight.

Ive owned it for the last two years and flown it almost 200 hours. Its a 2010 that was flown 200 in its first 6 years. Notice small cracking a year ago but only seemed like surface cracks. The prop has been dynamically balance and my last Savvy report says no miss firing.

Any Suggest would be great!

Jim Folck
[email protected]
RV7A-Sold
RV10-Great plane

Let me be the first to say

... installing lawyers is unlikely to fix any aircraft-related problem:D

Jim, if it's any consolation, I have hundreds of fine hairline cracks in my top cowl mostly originating from the corners of the air inlets and coming up from the gel coat through the paint. Not visible from two feet away, but there nonetheless. I imagine they'd be simple enough to sand out and fill/paint, but not worth it to me. Not visible on the inside and not deemed structural IMO.

(RV-6A at 950 TT)

Back