What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Dimple Dies?

skyyking56

Well Known Member
Hi All,
I've seen posts talking about fuel tank dimple dies.
What is the difference in fuel tank dimple dies versus regular dimple dies?
Appreciate any info,
Jim King
RV7A
Started Elevators and wings on the way

They simply make a deeper dimple to allow for the sealant that oozes between the rivet head and skin on the tanks.

Many thousand RV's built without them so some including me say they are not required.

Did not use them and mine came out fine.

Jim,
The tank dimple dies make a deeper dimple. This allows the rivet to sit flush even though there is sealant in the dimple. Without the tank dimple dies, the rivets could sit proud. I used them on my tanks and they came out looking great and leak free.

How much deeper???

Regular die on the left, tank die on the right.

050617_004.JPG

How is this for the "experimental" nature of the project: I used the the tank dimple dies on one tank, and the regular ones on the other. It is very difficult (if impossible) to tell the difference :).

Even Better than tank dies

Just use your regular dies and the last step before you rivet is to very lightly clean up the dimple with a swiveling countersink cutter held in the fingers....
Call me a tight wad but I didnt think the $40.00 for the special dies was a very good deal compared with 10 minutes worth of deburring work touching up the holes.
Rick

Back