What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UAT Antenna on an RV-8

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hello Guys and Gals.

I'm in the midst of installing my the Echo UAT in my RV-8 and I'm struggling on where to mount the UAT antenna. I've used the search and found a lot of threads, but I'm looking for information on where to locate the antenna specific to the tandem airplanes. So you RV-4/8 guys... where have you mounted your UAT antenna?

My dilemma is that I have two comm antennae, each mounted behind each footwell. They are 24" apart. The 327's transponder antenna is mounted 20" aft of the base of the right bent whip comm antenna abeam the leading edge of the flap. Ideally, I would mount the UAT antenna on the belly, but there is hardly a place on the belly that meets the 1m requirement unless I go aft of the bulkhead behind the elevator bell crank. Another option is to mount it on the wing.

Any ideas I'm missing?

Thank you!

Ideally, I would mount the UAT antenna on the belly, but there is hardly a place on the belly that meets the 1m requirement unless I go aft of the bulkhead behind the elevator bell crank.

That is where I mounted an ADS-B antenna on my RV-6. Went as far back as I could reasonable reach without inflicting permanent injury.....

Jerry,

I have the Uavionix Echo in my 8. I mounted the Echo and the Sky GPS on the back of the forward cargo compartment. I put the antenna, which is just the 3" wire with the ball end, on the left gear mount cover. I spoke with Uavionix about my distances from antennas (Slightly less than specified in the instructions), possible gear leg interference, etc, and they gave the ok. It seems to be working fine in that location and made for a relatively easy installation with a short cable run. I did install a double on the inspection plate but it may not be needed.

Its in Vern's hangar if you want to look at it.

John
KFFC

Last edited:
Jerry,

I have the Uavionix Echo in my 8. I mounted the Echo and the Sky GPS on the back of the forward cargo compartment. I put the antenna, which is just the 3" wire with the ball end, on the left gear mount cover. I spoke with Uavionix about my distances from antennas (Slightly less than specified in the instructions), possible gear leg interference, etc, and they gave the ok. It seems to be working fine in that location and made for a relatively easy installation with a short cable run. I did install a double on the inspection plate but it may not be needed.

Its in Vern's hangar if you want to look at it.

John
KFFC

I thought about putting it in there as well. I think it's a bit close to my comm antennae. I'll have to go back and measure it.

Did you go through the floor inside the gear tower? I already have so much stuff inside the gear tower. Adding another wire in there would make even more difficult than it already is to torque the landing gear bolts.

I'll take a look. Thank you John!

That is where I mounted an ADS-B antenna on my RV-6. Went as far back as I could reasonable reach without inflicting permanent injury.....

I think I'm permanently injured... I've been attempting to torque the landing gear bolts. The crotch strap attach point has been digging into my chest for the last two days!

Thank you Sam!

I mounted my antenna next to the starboard vent tube on my RV-8. I have received 100% good ADSB reports. I mounted the uAvionix unit on the side of the gear tower.

Mounted aft of the baggage compartment using a doubler, ADS-B in receiver mounted in the same area. One four conductor shielded wire runs from the receiver forward to the panel.

Carl

I mounted my antenna next to the starboard vent tube on my RV-8. I have received 100% good ADSB reports. I mounted the uAvionix unit on the side of the gear tower.

Thank you George. I?m going to do the same except that I?m going to mount the unit on the underside of the flat panel by my right thigh. I?ll let you know how it works out. If you think about it, would you mind posting a picture of your antenna installation?

Echo UAT

In my RV-8, I mounted my Echo unit and the Skyfx GPS inside the Left wingtip, and the UAT antenna is just aft of the outboard inspection plate. That gives plenty of distance from all of the other antennas on the bottom of the fuselage. I?ve not done a test flight to get a performance report from the FAA yet, but it seems to be working fine on the flights I?ve made with it so far.

Back