Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2018, 08:03 AM

Default Moving a plane into a Mode C Veil, cheapest solution for Transponder and ADS-B

I'm buying my first plane and I have found a plane I like, but it is located in an area where it has never needed a transponder. Full disclosure it is experimental, but not an RV. I am just posting here because 90% of the valuable information Google finds me on experimentals (especially avionics) is from this forum.

My question is, if I do the install, what is the cheapest solution for a transponder and ADS-B on a plane that never had either?
Old 11-08-2018, 08:06 AM

Congrats on your purchase! Pics?

Be cautious of going "cheap".

There's a lot of spin ups trying to take advantage of the ADS-B deadline creating a lot of competition. A lot of these companies will go out of business or stop selling their ADS-B solution because all the competition will make it impossible for some to profit.

It's already happened to a few, search for "NAVWORX".

You don't want to find yourself buying another transponder, buying two is certainly not the cheapest solution.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!

Last edited by bkervaski : 11-08-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:26 AM

I agree with bkervaski. Cheap is not always economical. Do your research.

I went with Trig. I've had Trig in 2 airplanes over quite a few years and very happy with their system.

Complete ADS-B out including TT22 (Mode S transponder), TN72 (ADS-B compliant GPS), and TA70 (GPS antenna). All for about $2400.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award

Last edited by Mel : 11-08-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
Congrats on your purchase! Pics?

Be cautious of going "cheap".

It's already happened to a few, search for "NAVWORX".

You don't want to find yourself buying another transponder, buying two is certainly not the cheapest solution.
Generally, I am but I am looking at a sub $15k plane, and I don't want to put $5k in avionics in it just to be able to fly.

Not having to do this twice is exactly why I am asking, part of me wants to just install a $250 used transponder and encoder to last a year, and then add a UAT next year. But I want to know that there are not better options. You RV guys tend to find the best mix of budget and quality that I have seen, so I presumed that this has been discussed a bit. I did find some good information in searches but some references to the Trig T22 (which I had not heard about) in a thread about the echoUAT lead me to create my own thread. I want to make sure that I haven't overlooked an option because I don't know what to ask.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:54 AM

In the long run "Cheap" will wind up being very expensive. That being said, your best option will depend on what you currently have installed in your panel and what your eventual "mission" will be with the airplane. IOW more information is needed before options can be discussed but it sounds like you will require a transponder at the bare minimum.

Something like this transponder with ADS-B OUT and built in GPS.

www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 11-08-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:56 AM

Default Economical vs. Cheap

Without knowing the rest of your panel setup it's challenging to present all of the numerous options, and thinking short term rather than what you want your panel to look like in 5 years could end up costing you more. FWIW, I'm going simple VFR (Mini-X) and chose to control a remote Sandia transponder (STX-165R) and using the uAvionix Echo UAT/GRT Safe-fly GPS package. My goal was a simple, uncluttered panel - but your goal may be totally different.
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)
2018 VAF donation cheerfully submitted!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:07 AM

In my opinion the Trig TT22 ADS-B bundle is the best, least costly 1090ES option.

I've done a few 978-out installs and find traffic with those devices spotty at low altitude, well away from a ground station. I've seen too many mode-C targets fly right past me and nothing show on ADS-B, but an old Zaon picks it up.

1090ES does not have this issue since its an extended squitter mode-S transmission so dual-band ADSB receivers will pick up the traffic, without relying on a rebroadcast from a ground station. Assuming the traffic near you is also 1090ES. At least maybe they'd see you and you not see them, if properly equipped.

You can get ADS-B in with an inexpensive receiver, such as a Stratux, which also gets you a perfectly usable backup AHRS to display attitude on an iPad.

If you can accept the drawbacks of UAT and are ok with spotty traffic due to drawbacks of the system design, then you go with a cheap used transponder now and add a uAvionix EchoUAT, and also get ADSB-IN traffic/wx and not have to get an external IN box.

The other option is a cheap transponder then add a GDL-82. I consider the GDL-82 simply as a compliance box.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:11 AM

Others have mentioned the Trig and I agree it is a good value.

I am planning on using the Appareo-Stratus as I feel it is the BEST for my RV-6. Everything in ONE box. Easier for me to retrofit into a flying airplane. I will either buy from Stein or RST sometime in the next few months.

I plan to abandon my Grey Code encoder and use the serial port from my Garmin G5 as my altitude source.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF, and Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by marked View Post
I'm buying my first plane
Mark, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Congrats on the plane-----enjoy it.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-08-2018, 09:32 AM

I understand that using 1090ES (vs UAT) takes the "anonymous" option off the table. That's a consideration for some of us.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson