What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Rotator?

Rick6a

Well Known Member
J.C. Whitney has a couple of (relatively) affordable engine stands that to my unpracticed eye appear to be easily adapted for use as a fuselage rotator. If so, they sure would be a low cost alternative to the real deal. Has anyone modified a pair of engine stands from J.C. Whitney to serve as a fuselage rotator and if so...how did it work out?

http://tinyurl.com/yp99ow

Hi Rick

I got mine from Princess Auto here in Canada, but it looks like the same thing. It worked out great...

rotisserie2.jpg

rotisserie3.jpg

rotisserie1.jpg

rotisserie5.jpg

canoe3.jpg

I know a builder who built one out of 2 Harborfreight engine stands ($60 each).
Put them on blocks instead of the wheels.

Harbor Freight - worked fine

I recently mounted my 8 fuselage on a Harbor Freight engine stand and all is well. I used 2x4s with plywood stand-offs for the "cross" part on the firewall. Bolted the engine adapter plate straight to the 2x4s. There is quite a bit of slop between the engine adapter tube and the "socket" tube on the stand itself, so I just have the tail propped up on two milk crates with a pad on top. Currently rolled 90 degrees left, and working on the roll trim mounting. Sorry no pictures, as my digital camera died recently.

Be very carefull using the three legged engine stand. They will turn over very easily with an engine mounted.

Bob

hf/rotater

I
recently mounted my 8 fuselage on a Harbor Freight engine stand and all is well. I used 2x4s with plywood stand-offs for the "cross" part on the firewall. Bolted the engine adapter plate straight to the 2x4s. There is quite a bit of slop between the engine adapter tube and the "socket" tube on the stand itself, so I just have the tail propped up on two milk crates with a pad on top.

did mine on the hf engine stand as well (7a). got the 1000 lb stand for the same price as the 750 (it was on sale for 39.95, and they had a $5 off coupon). the 1000 lb has a lateral extension on the "third" leg, essentially turning it into a 4-leg stand. found the angle of the mount part to be non-horizontal, so i cut a coupla pieces of 1-1/2" 4130 square channel, got some longer bolts, and jacked it up at the junction of the vertical and horizontal cross-members, which made the mount more orthogonal. used home depot angle iron for the firewall mounts. was a little extra work (not much), but i probably have <$60 in it all told. used a "sling" made from 2x4's and scrap carpet for the tail.

Two hard points on the ceiling will beat any kind of floor stand. Clear floor, comes with height adjustment, and I've yet to tip over a whole building. <g>

Thanks for the plug Brian, but I am no longer offering them. While nicer than most other options, they are far too labor intensive for me. However if someone wanted to pick one up from me directly and paint it themselves I might entertain that option.

-Jeff

RV_7A said:
Thanks for the plug Brian, but I am no longer offering them. While nicer than most other options, they are far too labor intensive for me. However if someone wanted to pick one up from me directly and paint it themselves I might entertain that option.

-Jeff
Jeff, have you thought about selling plans? If it is too labor intensive for you perhaps there are those out there willing to pay you for plans and build it themselves. I built mine based on your design and love it. I did not have plans but used pictures and my imagination to figure out what I could not see from pictures. I will agree that it is labor intensive and can understand the problem with selling these for profit but perhaps there are those out there like me that would be interested in building their own from your design plans.

Just a thought as I know I love mine and I really like the idea that I was able to build it myself.

Back