What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer brakes installation - photos

mturnerb

Well Known Member
Does anyone have photos of completed installation of Beringer brakes on RV14A? Particularly interested in connections at the gear leg/wheel

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
2q234sg.jpg
15d6o9v.jpg

Maybe these will help.

Last edited:
Hey Rob---how are you going to get to the ALIR valve to adjust the brake bias? You have along longer arms than I have!
Tom

Hey Rob---how are you going to get to the ALIR valve to adjust the brake bias? You have along longer arms than I have!
Tom

You are right, it is tucked way under there. My understanding is once this is set, you dont mess with it. So my theory was keep it close with the shortest run of hose. When I start to use is after the break in period it will be a pain for the 1st few adjustments then leave it alone.

We have been hard at work beta testing multiple Beringer cabin and gear hose configurations over the past several months. In addition, we now have a dealership agreement with Beringer that allows us to sell the COMPLETE Beringer kits directly to our customers. This allows us to omit the "do it yourself" brake line components that come standard with normal Beringer purchases. We are able to pass along these savings to our customers.

At the moment, we have tested the RV14 TW cabin brake lines in the Standard, Parking Brake, and PB/ALIR Valve configurations. We also have tested the Beringer gear leg hoses on both the 14/14A.

We have enough 14A data to interpolate the line length change for the cabin hoses that are different from the TW. However, we would like to get some good installation pictures for a 14A and therefore will be offering a beta testing discount to the first 2 14A installers.

Thanks again to everyone for your help in developing and perfecting the lengths on these packages.

Have fun building!!!

Steve and Tom (Aircraft Specialty Flightlines)

P.S. We have a lot of new and exciting things happening in 2019 and look forward to continuing to work with all of you to make these incredible flying machines even a bit more personalized.

wp3073c05c_06.png

One quick note here:
In the Beringer install manual, they put the parking brake valve on the left pedal bar mount. That was different than we originally did our package, as some of you know. In most of the other installs, the PB Valve was located on the F14104 center brace to help control the length of the 2 extensions hoses for the 'A' model. And get it closer the RV10 location. Beringer in their manuals even show the F6122-1 trigear bracket mounted on the firewall, like the RV10. This doesnt exist in the RV14 or 14A and no provision for it.
So as a compromise, we had this beta tester mount it on the left pedal bar mount and in the case of the 14A, we'd have to extend the hoses to the main gear mounts. Those of you with 14A's know what I'm talking about. Steve and I didnt want to go against Beringer's 'recommended' location, although with the ALIR valve you are running hoses back and forth from masters, to the ALIR valve mounted in the center, then 2 hoses to the PB valve mounted on the left, then back across to the tunnel.

Personally, I thought it was unnecessary, but its what Beringer's engineers came up with. And, until we can come up with a better TESTED solution, the package with probably stay that way. Some of you previous clients have mounted the PB Valve on the F14104 center brace with excellent results. Some of you have made the RV10 style firewall mount work well. BUT, to accommodate everyone, we are going to use the Beringer locations for now.

Another note. Some previous clients or installers had mounted the ALIR valve either on the firewall or wall behind the center panel piece. LOL---my arms arent long enough to reach it when sitting in the seat with the harnesses on. YMMV. I wanted to move it aft, towards the seat and panel to allow easier reach during adjustment. Especially during initial settings of the anti-skid valve. It just didnt seem to me to be a safe way to be rolling, loose or not strapped in, braking AND trying to adjust a ALIR valve while reaching under the panel. it was mentioned by one poster that he assumed you set it and forgot about it. maybe so, but do conditions change? I think so, and I think you'd want easier access to fine tune that adjustment IF it became necessary.

For you builders that have the ALIR valve installed and FLYING, we'd like to know your impressions of both functionality and access for adjustments. Maybe I'm blowing this up, but certainly want to be safe here.

Tom and Steve---AS Flightlines

One quick note here:
In the Beringer install manual, they put the parking brake valve on the left pedal bar mount. That was different than we originally did our package, as some of you know. In most of the other installs, the PB Valve was located on the F14104 center brace to help control the length of the 2 extensions hoses for the 'A' model. And get it closer the RV10 location. Beringer in their manuals even show the F6122-1 trigear bracket mounted on the firewall, like the RV10. This doesnt exist in the RV14 or 14A and no provision for it.
So as a compromise, we had this beta tester mount it on the left pedal bar mount and in the case of the 14A, we'd have to extend the hoses to the main gear mounts. Those of you with 14A's know what I'm talking about. Steve and I didnt want to go against Beringer's 'recommended' location, although with the ALIR valve you are running hoses back and forth from masters, to the ALIR valve mounted in the center, then 2 hoses to the PB valve mounted on the left, then back across to the tunnel.

Personally, I thought it was unnecessary, but its what Beringer's engineers came up with. And, until we can come up with a better TESTED solution, the package with probably stay that way. Some of you previous clients have mounted the PB Valve on the F14104 center brace with excellent results. Some of you have made the RV10 style firewall mount work well. BUT, to accommodate everyone, we are going to use the Beringer locations for now.

Another note. Some previous clients or installers had mounted the ALIR valve either on the firewall or wall behind the center panel piece. LOL---my arms arent long enough to reach it when sitting in the seat with the harnesses on. YMMV. I wanted to move it aft, towards the seat and panel to allow easier reach during adjustment. Especially during initial settings of the anti-skid valve. It just didnt seem to me to be a safe way to be rolling, loose or not strapped in, braking AND trying to adjust a ALIR valve while reaching under the panel. it was mentioned by one poster that he assumed you set it and forgot about it. maybe so, but do conditions change? I think so, and I think you'd want easier access to fine tune that adjustment IF it became necessary.

For you builders that have the ALIR valve installed and FLYING, we'd like to know your impressions of both functionality and access for adjustments. Maybe I'm blowing this up, but certainly want to be safe here.

Tom and Steve---AS Flightlines

As Tom mentioned, there were a lot of considerations that went into this setup.

Ultimately, we decided to stay with the Beringer mounting locations. There are brackets provided with the Beringer kit and it makes the installation very simple and drop in. There are some VERY specific clockings required on the hoses in order to get them to fit this nicely. So, we made up master hoses so that we can duplicate the installation perfectly every time.

The mounting of the parking brake valve on the left side of the fuselage provides a very short cable routing. The ALIR valve underneath the pedal bar bracket is accessible for adjustment according to beta testers.

The RV14A installation will be a duplication of this setup with the exception that we will modify the output hoses to go through the center tunnel to the cabin exit point. That is the configuration we are still seeking two beta testers for to get pictures and verify fit.

The other advantage to sticking with the stock configuration as the standard package is that IF a builder has already mounted everything as per the Beringer instructions and then decides that they want to purchase pre made hoses....we know that our kit will fit because it is designed around the stock beringer locations.

As always, if anyone wants to customize or make any changes, we are happy to build custom assemblies to dimensions that you specify!

Steve and Tom

Here is my installation in few picts.
Connections at the gear leg/wheel didn't seem to me the main issue. Connection at the fuse belly/ gear leg , more.

Hoses have to fit with the leg fairings !!!

34r9jbo.jpg

and/or ...

2vx39rd.jpg

Thus, I prefered ream the female threads of U-01402 Lower Gear Braces and pass directly through the beringer hoses protected by heat-shrinkable adhesive sheath (x2):

wtd8bm.jpg

And the leg/wheel :

akfif5.jpg

Eric and all,

The picture below shows the standard installation. However, we do the same for the Beringer at the top of the gear leg to avoid the fairing clearance issue you mentioned. We run a 45 degree fitting with provides a nice routing down the gear leg.

wp77a61c1b_06.png

Steve

...... Another note. Some previous clients or installers had mounted the ALIR valve either on the firewall or wall behind the center panel piece. LOL---my arms arent long enough to reach it when sitting in the seat with the harnesses on. YMMV. I wanted to move it aft, towards the seat and panel to allow easier reach during adjustment. Especially during initial settings of the anti-skid valve. It just didnt seem to me to be a safe way to be rolling, loose or not strapped in, braking AND trying to adjust a ALIR valve while reaching under the panel. it was mentioned by one poster that he assumed you set it and forgot about it. maybe so, but do conditions change? I think so, and I think you'd want easier access to fine tune that adjustment IF it became necessary.

For you builders that have the ALIR valve installed and FLYING, we'd like to know your impressions of both functionality and access for adjustments. Maybe I'm blowing this up, but certainly want to be safe here.....

I'm certainly no expert but here's another data point. I had the complete Beringer dual-piston brake system installed on my previous airplane, a Cirrus SR-22. The location of the anti-skid valve was out of the reach of the pilot. I believe that they adjusted it on the ramp with one mechanic operating the airplane and brakes while the other adjusted the valve. It was a "set it and forget it" installation.

This is a very helpful thread as we will be incorporating the complete Beringer system from Aircraft Specialties Flightlines in our 14A build. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Back