What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Cooler Poll

Have you changed your oil cooler to a different size/brand?

• NO, the one I started with does the job.

Votes: 40 71.4%
  • YES, the one I started with didn't cut it.

Votes: 16 28.6%

• Total voters

dan

Well Known Member
I'm interested in finding out how many people have had to swap out their oil cooler for a different (typically better and/or larger) one at some point.

If your answer to the poll is YES, it might be helpful to list:

- typical temps (peak & cruise) before & after
- aircraft model
- engine type
- ignition type(s)
- compression ratio
- oil cooler installation details
- any relevant changes you made along with the swap-out
- etc.

Last edited:
Too big

Stewart Warner 10599A was on my stock O320 RV-4 and it was OVER KILL. I replaced it** but keep the cooler for my new RV-7 with O360.

When I replaced the cooler on the RV-4, I moved it. It was hard mounted on the baffle behind #4. I mounted a smaller cooler by hanging it off the engine mount with adel clamps and some angle. A short SCAT and home made hose fittings on baffle and cooler completed the mod, which was a good change. The new cooler, a smaller 7 row Harrison (sorry part# ? piper/cessna).

Even with the mod, the oil temps where usually at the low end of green, about 170F. Only in the summer, flying in the desert South West, gross weight, wide open in climbs did I break into the 200F range. Before the cooler change and moving it to the engine stationary engine mount, I had several baffle cracks and cooler flange cracking.

Last edited:
Replaved mine with the SW

The same one Dan and Walter used. I started out with this cooler cus both these guys had oil temp issues so what the heck...Oh and it works great.

Frank 7a, SJ cowl, i0360 parallel valve

RV-8
CS Prop - Hartzell blended airfoil 74"
Mattituck TMX-IO-360
180 hp
8.5:1
Vertical Draft Fuel Servo
Dual Slick Mags
Standard Cowl
Standard Baffling
Stewart Warner 10599A cooler (8 row)
Oil Temp in Cruise 160F (winter) and 175F (summer)
CHT-s 300 to 350F

Used Stewart Warner 10599A cooler right off the bat after hearing others issues. For winter operation installed Van's new oil cooler shutter behind the cooler (not enough room up front for easy install with bigger cooler) and I can get my temps to 170F on a 30F outside temp winter day.

Even in the summer, I almost never see over 200 unless I am in a climb and high RPM/MP and low airspeed.

Last edited:
I am interested in seeing the results of this poll.

It seems that the 390 crowd will need a beefy oil cooler, from what I am told.

They say the Stewart Warner one is the one to use!

:confused: CJ

Last edited:
I guess that extra oil cooler expense...

would be another additional cost to consider for those that are thinking about over powering thier RV9.

Kent

LifeofReiley said:
P.S. The lastest FWF kit sheet I have shows the Stewart Warner as Standard.
What Van's accessory catalog calls it is "Stewart Warner style". Having had both in my hands, there is a huge difference between a real Stewart Warner and the "Stewart Warner style". (I returned the **** they sent me and bought a real Stewart Warner.)

PJ
RV-10 #40032

PJSeipel said:
What Van's accessory catalog calls it is "Stewart Warner style". Having had both in my hands, there is a huge difference between a real Stewart Warner and the "Stewart Warner style". (I returned the **** they sent me and bought a real Stewart Warner.)

PJ
RV-10 #40032
Good observation. Check these side-by-sides out:
20040519_two_oil_coolers.jpg

20040519_end_comparison.jpg

20040519_end_comparison2.jpg

20040519_stewart_warner_fins.jpg

20040519_aero_classic_fins.jpg

this is confusing.

I've kicked myself since prior to day one for NOT using the bigger one.

but i"d swear I counted 7 rolls or veins on my cheaper Van's cooler the other day when I had my cowling off.

haven't had issues lately but summer isn't here either.

fwiw

Back