VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-23-2018, 07:31 PM

Default Broken exhaust hanger

Discovered during condition inspection. Has any ever had one of these break before? Any tips on ordering a new one? I believe this is a Vetterman system, but I don't see parts on their website (also called Friday and left a message - although it looks like they keep limited hours on Fridays (I wish I could do that.))

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qb172t5jb5..._0934.png?dl=0
Old 06-23-2018, 07:34 PM

Yes, they have broken before. It is a simple piece of stainless tubing, easily fabricated in a few minutes after you source the tubing... from Vetterman Exhaust if you like .
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:38 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus92 View Post
Discovered during condition inspection. Has any ever had one of these break before? Any tips on ordering a new one? I believe this is a Vetterman system, but I don't see parts on their website (also called Friday and left a message - although it looks like they keep limited hours on Fridays (I wish I could do that.))

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qb172t5jb5..._0934.png?dl=0
RVers have been repairing exhaust hangars since....there were RV exhaust hangars.

Go to your local auto parts store and pick up a length of 3/8" steel brake line. A piece a couple of feet long will keep you stocked with exhaust hangers for many years to come. Gently flatten one end of a piece of brake line, drill the bolt hole, loosen the clamp on the rubber hose and replace your broken hanger. Keep a short piece of brake line in your flight kit for repairs when away from home.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone, another project!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:20 AM

Left unresolved, a broken hanger can cause bigger problems. A good reminder to give each pipe a wiggle test as part of your preflight procedures.
TMX0360, Pmags, CS
Bridgewater, MA
KPYM
Old 06-24-2018, 09:07 AM

I had a recurring ploblem with these flattened steel tubes breaking off just like yours. I replaced them with solid aluminum rod. Never had another problem.

Carl
Old 06-24-2018, 10:26 AM

Default Replacement Hangers

After I discovered a couple of broken ones, I sourced new ones from the folks up at Vetterman, who have designed a thicker, more robust set.

Approximately 100 hours since Iíve replaced them all with the newer ones and no breakage so far. Looks like a good fix.

I check them every time I pull the cowls off...when itís also a good time to hit all the exhaust pivot joints and unions with a healthy dose of Mouse Milk to keep them able to move as they are designed to do.

You will develop a list of items that youíll check every time you un-cowl ďjust to be certainĒ or after having had an issue inflight...

The exhaust system and components are a good candidate for this list...among others.
T67-Hicks Airport, Texas
Old 06-24-2018, 11:55 AM
been here awhile

A couple of items I've learned after nearly twenty years of fiddlin' with exhaust hangers on the RV-6:

1) If you use steel tubing, the flattened end should be made with a gradual swage, not an abrupt swage as will result if you just slam the vice jaws down on it. A small radius swage is much more likely to break.

2) My earliest set of hangers used not only the flattened ends but also a bend in the flattened portion. That is certainly a recipe for failure. After repositioning clamps to eliminate any bends reliability went up considerably.

3) The aluminum/steel rod instead of steel tubing is a good solution if it fits the particular installation.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
A couple of items I've learned after nearly twenty years of fiddlin' with exhaust hangers on the RV-6:

1) If you use steel tubing, the flattened end should be made with a gradual swage, not an abrupt swage as will result if you just slam the vice jaws down on it. A small radius swage is much more likely to break.

2) My earliest set of hangers used not only the flattened ends but also a bend in the flattened portion. That is certainly a recipe for failure. After repositioning clamps to eliminate any bends reliability went up considerably.
Agree 100%.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
If you use steel tubing, the flattened end should be made with a gradual swage, not an abrupt swage as will result if you just slam the vice jaws down on it. A small radius swage is much more likely to break..
What is your recommended technique for producing a gradual swage Sam?

Thanks
Erich

Last edited by erich weaver : 06-24-2018 at 01:45 PM.