- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2018, 01:29 PM

Default transponder check RV12 Dynon Skyview avionics

Hey guys I need to have my transponder checked in my RV12 the San Antonio Tx area, I have a 100% stock dynon skyview / avionics package from vans

I thought it would be a simple fast process and I called a shop and they told me 4-5 hrs for the first time ? and a 2 week wait for the space to do it.

How much does it usually cost ?
Howe long and what is usually involved in doing this ?

Hope you guys can help with your experience.

Regards

Christian
Old 06-07-2018, 01:43 PM

My first one was $100 (we arranged to have several done at the same time so he gave us a discount) and, if I remember correctly, it took about 45 minutes.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project
Old 06-07-2018, 01:43 PM

Even though my guy is based at my airport, he throws his test equipment in the back of a truck and drives to my hangar. I’d say he spends about 15 minutes setting up; another 5-10 minutes chasing down leaks at the connections to his equipment (pitot tube, static port); and maybe 15-20 minutes watching the boxes run the altitude up and down, recording numbers, etc. Paperwork and de-connecting his equipment, he’s in and out in an hour. $250, IIRC. BUT, if there’s a problem, he can spend a lot of time looking for the leak(s). That may explain the time quote you got. You can help by pre-testing both pitot and static systems for any leaks, and fixing them yourself. Just use some clear tubing with water in it, U-shaped, to slightly pressurize them (google ‘water manometer’).
I’m usually able to schedule him within 2 weeks, but try to give him 4 weeks notice.
Edit: I should have said, this is for a full ifr check.

Last edited by BobTurner : 06-07-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:46 PM

A VFR transponder check should be ~$125 and accomplished in less than an hour.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 397

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 06-07-2018, 01:50 PM

Eight years ago when I finished my 12 I took it to a certain avionics shop. At that time, no problem getting in on short notice just had to call an hour ahead of time. The actual check for VFR on a Garmin 327 transponder only took about 5 minutes and they charged $50.

Now I have the Dynon transponder. The same shop would not take me in, I think they are very busy. I found another local shop and they took me with just a days notice. The VFR check still only takes 5 minutes for which they charged me $100. Well, OK, they do have to have an expensive piece of equipment and they have overhead so I'm OK with even $100. It still seems to me that this is easy money for them and I don't understand shops that can't take a few minutes out of their schedule to do these even if they are busy.

One piece of advise, tell them it is a VFR check only and make sure you know how to set the Dynon transponder to read altitude when the ship is on the ground. By default it will not read Altitude unless you go into the menus and set it that way for the test. The shop may know how to do this and they may not. My shop did not, I had to school them.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying

Last edited by Tony_T : 06-07-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:04 PM

What Tony said! $100 or less and 5 minutes for a VFR check. Read the Dynon manual so that YOU know what needs to be done -- frequently the tech doesn't know how to conduct a VFR check on a Dynon.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 680+ hours (as of Oct 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:25 PM

Had my 12 checked two weeks ago, $109 and about an hour, but that also included a check of ADS-B out, VOR, localizer and glideslope (first Dynon the tech had done, so he was curious). Read up on adjusting the altitude offset in the Dynon set-up to match the calibrated altimeter the tech will be using as a standard. Also know your transponder serial number for the paperwork. Longest wait is for the altimeter to stabilize, about 20 minutes, mine drifted about +15 feet from the start-up value before it stabilized.

John Salak
RV-12 N895HS
Old 06-07-2018, 02:30 PM

Default Like post #3

My experience at my home airport was vert much like Bobís and the tech told me there really isnít a VFR check. The tech said it was the same check done for IFR but the range and limits are not as tight as an IFR check for VFR sign off. He did conclude my last check would had met the IFR standards $225 latter.

It was nice to set an appointment and have him come by the hangar but next time I plan to shop around a little more.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold
Old 06-07-2018, 05:39 PM

Everything you always wanted to know (or most of it) about IFR/VFR checks. Link to my FAQ page:
http://www.expaircraft.com/faq.htm

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 06-07-2018, 09:04 PM

Try Pippen-York at Fredericksburg; http://pippen-york.com
They just quoted me $125 and said the paperwork takes longer than the test, about 30 minutes max. They were recommended by several RV guys here in San Antonio.

Ian Heritch (8T8)
RV12, N417E, Red Venom 2