What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mini brake reservoir where?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

I'm considering installing the small brake reservoirs on my RV-7.
(the ones who goes directly on the brakecylinders, one each.)

I looked in the Spruce catalog, and on page 237 I found the ACS model A-600.

Does anyone know if these will fit the brake cylinders in the RV-7?
Or does anyone have a suggestion for other types?

Regards Alf Olav Frog / Norway

Think really hard about doing this. I did this change on my Rocket and man, do I ever wished I hadn't. It is a major pain in the butt to bleed the brakes and because the resevoir is down on the cylinder, it has to be completely full before starting the bleeding process.

Of all the changes I've made to do things differently than before, I regret this one the most. When I get a heated hangar next winter, I'm changing it back to the way it's called for in the plans.

Leaks?

Hi again.

Well, I've read that the plastic lines tend to leak, and I was thinking that a leak down there would be very difficult to fix?

If those small ones leak too, then I'm back at square one...

So I guess what it comes down to, is which system have the fewest leaks...?

Regards ao

Stick to the plans. I have had no leaking problems on any of the planes that I have built using the plastic. If installed properly things work well with no leaks. It would be a royal pain in the neck to work on the brakes as Randy has said.

I used the A600s for 225 hours on a -7, and Van's reservoir is on a new ship with 20 hours. The 600s are a cinch to install, one thread/brake therefore fewer leak potentials (had to chase down three leaks on Van's), Van's needs firewall penetration and it doesn't lay flat on the brackets (quality problem).

Consider the diameter of the 600s is 1 1/8 inch (I believe), so you may need to make sure your pedal tubes are trimmed to allow this fit when installed in the fuse. Also, 45 degree fittings rather than 90s will get the hose around the reservoir.

"Bleeding" is easy and it isn't bleeding in the traditional sense. Merely pressurize the line from the caliper nipple with fluid in a squeeze bulb until the reservoir is nearly full. That's it for the life of the plane unless you want to change fluid or you develop a leak (highly unlikely).

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Also, the mini reservoirs have a npt threaded hole in the top that could easily be plumbed to a large container for bleeding purposes.

szicree said:
Also, the mini reservoirs have a npt threaded hole in the top that could easily be plumbed to a large container for bleeding purposes.
I've thought of that but then I'd have three reservoirs and more connections, more chances for leaks, etc. I actually tried to put together a contraption to screw into the top of the reservoir for bleeding, but it turned into a mess, couldn't get the air out of it, and I ended up spilling brake fluid everywhere.

I used the mini reservoirs. When I bled my brakes, I just got a nylon hose fitting from HD and screwed it into the top and put a length of poly tubing on it. I added fluid, from the bottom, till I could see it in the tubing and then drained fluid back out the bottom till the fluid went back into the reservoir. Both sides bled fine and it wasn't particularly difficult or messy. After 150 hours, I haven't had any problems with leaks.
After having had the VAN's system in my RV-6, I prefer these, but I now have an RV-8 and I don't know how I would like them in a -7 or -6. I did have some problems with the nylon VAN's fittings wanting to leak, in my -6. I think I eventually changed them out to a different type and finally stopped the leaks.

Back