VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-22-2018, 06:25 PM

We spent a day visiting a cemetery some relatives were buried in and hiking close to other possible home sites. Lots of graves with no markers.

Second best part of the trip was the fruit/citrus, I pigged out on grapefruits-oranges-lemons that my new found cousins raised in their yards. These lemons are bigger around than a beer can and almost as tall with great flavor!

On our departure day we needed to kill a few hours so the current ice storm through central Kansas could make its way east. I connected with another RV'er who was in town and flew to KSDL on a mission to buy some fresh oranges to haul home and have lunch and soak up some 70 degree sunshine. It's always great meeting RV'ers on the road!
I tried to make myself scarce around all the jets at KSDL, the rental car row had Ferrari's, Mercedes etc.

Wx was looking favorable/as predicted early afternoon and we headed home, I was looking forward to catching a good tailwind and low fuel burn up high.

The western edge of the OVC following the ice storm eastbound.

We landed in Wichita after 3.6 hours flight time and we averaged just under 6 gph, hows that for economy! The ice covered ramp and 25 degrees was a bit of a welcome home I suppose.

I was prepared to have to divert due to icy conditions at my home field, but with the winds right down the runway landing wasn't an issue. Taxing crosswind was a bit interesting on the skating rink ice, after a slow cautious taxi it was another awesome RV trip for the logbook.

Last edited by crabandy : 02-25-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 AM

I enjoyed the cabin photo's. that's moving on at 19K! that's about 34 nautical miles / gallon. hard to beat. I'll be in Wichita for the WSU vs UC game next weekend. I hope they don't have ice.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 02-24-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
I enjoyed the cabin photo's. that's moving on at 19K! that's about 34 nautical miles / gallon. hard to beat. I'll be in Wichita for the WSU vs UC game next weekend. I hope they don't have ice.
Thanks Steve, upper 50's-60's next week......Kansas Wx. Feel free to swing by especially if you need beta testers for those fairings!
Old 02-24-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy View Post
Thanks Steve, upper 50's-60's next week......Kansas Wx. Feel free to swing by especially if you need beta testers for those fairings!
I'll leave a set of the rudder clevis fairings for you at the airport (Jabara) with the lady at the counter for beta testing. But since you're a taildragger you might only be able to install one side.

Last edited by Steve Melton : 02-24-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
I'll leave a set of the rudder clevis fairings for you at the airport (Jabara) with the lady at the counter for beta testing. But since you're a taildragger you might only be able to install one side.
Sweet! Looking forward to it
Old 02-25-2018, 08:44 PM

Default Great trip write-up

Andy, What a wonderful write-up. I love the photo of you under the name Ivy Crabtree that he carved on the rock. Fun and informative details on the entire trip. We are SO disappointed we couldn't join you. Drat the flu bug. Drat it!
Very happy for you and your family. Hope we get to see you soon.

Warm Regards,
Sandy and Roy
Old 02-25-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Sandy View Post
Andy, What a wonderful write-up. I love the photo of you under the name Ivy Crabtree that he carved on the rock. Fun and informative details on the entire trip. We are SO disappointed we couldn't join you. Drat the flu bug. Drat it!
Very happy for you and your family. Hope we get to see you soon.

Warm Regards,
Sandy and Roy
Sorry to have missed you guys, and hope you're feeling better soon. Here's to many more opportunities to connect throughout the US and beyond whenever we can!
Old 03-06-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Andy, I left a set of rudder clevis fairings for you at Jabara. WSU lost to Cincy by 1 point, but it was a good game. Travel time home from Wichita 2:53, 605 nm. A heck of a tailwind all the way. RPM 2330, Hg 19.2. Total fuel burn = 18.5 gallon. Not too bad. Steve

Last edited by Steve Melton : 03-06-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Andy, I left a set of rudder clevis fairings for you at Jabara. WSU lost to Cincy by 1 point, but it was a good game. Travel time home from Wichita 2:53. A heck of a tailwind. Steve

Sounds like I need to go to Jabara tonight and tell them I'm Andy Crabtree!

Seriously though, if you need delivery let me know. Also holler if you head this way to pick them up - I'll buy the burgers!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:46 PM

Steve, I can't wait to try the fairings out! Sounds like you picked a good game to see live, great tailwind for the way home too!

Kurt, I'll be in touch either way as both are great options!