What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about LP4-3 rivets

AX-O

Well Known Member
Yesterday I riveted one of my leading edges to the main spar. Vans said to use LP4-3 to rivet the ribs to the spar. I had about 35 of them so I could only do one side (need 30 per side). I look for LP3-4 on the aircraft spruce catalog and on their web site. No joy. Is there another number or name for these rivets or do they just not carry them?

Only at Vans

When I needed extras, I had to get them from Vans. Could not find them anywhere else.

Ahhh, the elusive LP4-3 rivet. As Robby pointed out, Van's seems to be the only source for these under that designation. Maybe one of our newest members, GAHco, can contribute here.

For the LE ribs to spars... I say this with the understanding that you will call Van's to confirm this, but I have read reference where Van's has OK'd the use of MSP-4x rivets of varrying lengths depending on rib. Spruce definitely sells those.

The "Cherry" MSP-43 from Aircraft Spruce is an acceptable substitute.

I alternated half LP4-3/4-4 and half CherryMax. Van's said I could use either so I chose to lean to the stronger side and used some of both. Kind of expensive though. Next time I'd just use the LP's and be done with it.

I used the LP4 rivets

I was trying to use Cherry-max (I have access to quite a few) to hold the Ribs to the Spar Web. They worked but were difficult and much more picky about being perpendicular to the surface. As you may know most rivet guns need to be modified just to do the job anyway.

I tried the LP4's that came with my kit, and found them easier to install and felt that they had more of a pull-up than the Cherry-max. For this application I do feel that there would be nothing gained by using other than what the plans call for.

Sure there are other places I just couldn't bring myself to use the commercial rivets :eek: and went with cherry-max, like the aileron skins at the joint line and the counterbalance. I spent the extra bucks and went with the CR3222's they have a corrosion resistant stem and aircraft aluminum body. They also are self plugging. I don't want stuff collecting in the little holes on the exterior starting corrosion later and looking ugly, open rivet centers on the exterior are ugly.

Anyway after a few ribs with cherry-max, I was glad I switched to the LP rivets for the rest of them. :)

Have fun and.......

Back