What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel landings FINALLY

Robb

Well Known Member
After flying my Husky for 1000 hrs and 2000 landings I am finally getting proficient at wheel landing my 7. It took a while as I am used to BIG tires and slower speeds. The RV landing gear is just so less forgiving and I kept bouncing it. Just took a little time to get the sight picture correct and the speed just right. I was three pointing it most of the time and the wheel landings are just easier on the plane in my opinion. I read through the past discussions on this topic and i really helped a lot. Jumped in the 7 and did at least 50 landings this past weekend. The key is getting the mains planted and stick forward. These plans are just plain fun to fly. Got it to 17500 on oxygen and I was amazed how fast it got these. Looks like I am stuck with two plans as I cant decide which one I like better.

Nice. You?ve gotta have 2 planes for 2 different mission sets. We have a Murphy Rebel and an RV-6. Between the 2 they fulfill all of our mission requirements.

After flying my Husky for 1000 hrs and 2000 landings I am finally getting proficient at wheel landing my 7. It took a while as I am used to BIG tires and slower speeds. The RV landing gear is just so less forgiving and I kept bouncing it. Just took a little time to get the sight picture correct and the speed just right. I was three pointing it most of the time and the wheel landings are just easier on the plane in my opinion. I read through the past discussions on this topic and i really helped a lot. Jumped in the 7 and did at least 50 landings this past weekend. The key is getting the mains planted and stick forward. These plans are just plain fun to fly. Got it to 17500 on oxygen and I was amazed how fast it got these. Looks like I am stuck with two plans as I cant decide which one I like better.

Nice! What TAS were you getting at 17500?

Another Husky owner here (200hp w/big-assed tires). Also have an RV-3B and and an RV-8 (plus a few other airplanes off topic). They each serve their purpose. And yes, the big marshmallow tires with 5psi in them make the Husky stick easy.

While the Husky is utilitarian (and faster than a PA18 or Scout) it doesn't have the delightful handling found in the RV series. The Husky is certified to Part 23 standards and therefore very stable and granny proof. Like an SUV. Not so the RVs. They are like a sportscar.

One of the great things about a truly botched wheelie is it can usually be converted into a 3-point as after the wheelie bounce many times you find yourself slower at the right attitude for a 3-point.

Jim

Neophyte that I am with tail wheel ops, I've flown the 6, 7, 8, ....do not understand why Vans is so married to the springy gear system of the 6 and 7. The gear legs are like spaghetti taking off or landing.

The 8 with its firm gear system is a different and better airplane taking off or landing.

Congrats of breaking the code with the 7.

Neophyte that I am with tail wheel ops, I've flown the 6, 7, 8, ....do not understand why Vans is so married to the springy gear system of the 6 and 7. The gear legs are like spaghetti taking off or landing.

The 8 with its firm gear system is a different and better airplane taking off or landing.

Congrats of breaking the code with the 7.

I can't help but smile and shake my head when I read something like this, since if you believe what is written here in the forums, the RV-8 is the most difficult of the 3 when it comes to making nice landings:rolleyes:

As for the round gear legs.... you should add the 3, 4, 10 and 14, to your list as well. There are very specific engineering reasons that make the round legs a good choice (that would require more than just a short note to explain).
It can't be a totally bad choice..... Cessna changed from flat gear legs to round gear legs decades ago.......

There are very specific engineering reasons that make the round legs a good choice (that would require more than just a short note to explain).

When you have time, would you post an explanation? I?m sure many of us would love to know.

OP, so... what?s your technique?

Maybe the -7 gear is substantially different than the -7A but I love the way mine handles landings. Not bouncy at all and very forgiving of the occasional mis-judgement of height above runway.

Back