- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8ER View Post
Igor,

I believe it was Eric I spoke with. He said that NONE of the factory aircraft have wicks on them although he did say they are rarely flown in IFR (where static is most likely to occur). He was also unaware of issues on other aircraft without static wicks. I came to the conclusion that if there was a problem it would be known to someone either at Garmin or Vans and neither could report knowledge of issues. Eric is currently building a -10 and does not have wicks installed on his as a side note.

- Tim
Tim, thank you. I understand his decision. IFR flying in VFR or marginal VFR conditions does not qualify for wicks installation.
I might find myself circumnavigating storms in summer. The last thing I want is to loose my comm in real IFR. My current decision is to put wicks on the airplane but only half the amount suggested by DG. Maybe the comm would work just fine, but I don't want to find out later in a serious situation

RV-10 in progress
Build Log
Old 01-31-2018, 01:11 PM

Default why?

So you are going to put wicks on but only half the number recommended?

You do realize that there is science behind those wicks, right? Why do it half way?

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-31-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supik View Post
Tim, thank you. I understand his decision. IFR flying in VFR or marginal VFR conditions does not qualify for wicks installation.
I might find myself circumnavigating storms in summer. The last thing I want is to loose my comm in real IFR. My current decision is to put wicks on the airplane but only half the amount suggested by DG. Maybe the comm would work just fine, but I don't want to find out later in a serious situation
Has any RV ever had this problem? I never heard of it - but perhaps you have some data I donít. If so, Iím sure many would like to know.

Iíve used ADS-B weather when IFR to circumnavigate many thunder bumpers along the East Coast. Never had a problem.

Carl
Old 01-31-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Has any RV ever had this problem? I never heard of it - but perhaps you have some data I donít. If so, Iím sure many would like to know.

Iíve used ADS-B weather when IFR to circumnavigate many thunder bumpers along the East Coast. Never had a problem.

Carl
Carl, no I don't. There is no clear answer from the experts, how could I provide one? I only know, P-static builds up and has to exit somewhere. DG makes you purchase 12 wicks; Vans says never had a problem but we do not operate in IMC very often. All of the modern certified IFR planes do have wicks, but this debate could go on for a very long time..

RV-10 in progress
Build Log
Old 02-08-2018, 05:36 PM

A few years ago, flying out west, I lost a com radio while encountering some 'snow virga' at 10k concurrent with observing some lightening or an electric discharge in my peripheral vision. I am not knowledgeable about static wicks and what they are intended to do or prevent but I've been led to believe they would have prevented this particular incident.

Having said that, that is the only possibly static related problem encountered in 1,000 hours of RV10 flying with a good deal of flying in eastern weather in IFR conditions.

Regarding Antenna: I installed Archer Nav and Comm. I replaced the Comm some years ago because I found that if performed slightly worse than my whip. I am considering replacing the Nav because of ILS reception problems at a single airport/runway. Having said that, I think both the Archer Nav and Comm work just fine for VFR work.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:39 PM

Default Archer NAV vs clones

I installed an Archer NAV for IFR and have been very satisfied. Not used it a lot, mainly GPS approaches, however, never failed with good distances.

The one thing I know from my research in NAV antenna when I was building that a lot of the so called Archer NAV antenna are "clones", and these where were the majority of problems existed.

Mr Archer used to individually tune each and every antenna he built and as such the difference between his $100 odd and a clone of $10 in parts was chalk and cheese.

So, if looking at either, make sure you are assessing "real" Archer NAV antenna performance and not looking at comments about home made clones. You might be surprised at the results.
RV10: Happy little Vegemite :-)
Feb 2015: Now fully functional..... and quick

http://www.ozrv10.com
Old 02-11-2018, 11:00 PM

My post on antennas, in case it helps:
https://www.airplane.build/2015/11/r...-antennas.html
(disclaimer: not flying yet)

Mouser has good hints on static wicks: http://www.mouser.org/projects/rv-10/index.html
RV-10 builder #41623
Build log at http://www.airplane.build/
VAF dues paid
Old 02-18-2018, 04:38 PM

I built an RV14A and installed the Archer VOR/ILS antenna in the right wing tip along with an LED landing light, LED strobe, and LED position light and have not had any problems with the ILS (tested the VOR but rarely use since GPS is more useful).
XP400, Dual PMags, G3X System, ThermX Deice
First flight April 11,2017
Flying P210
2018 dues paid
Old 02-27-2018, 07:22 AM

Regarding the Archers
My problem with the Nav has been limited to a single ILS so far. A coupled intercept just doesnít work in that case and the needles jump around enough to make a hand flown intercept a bit sloppy. Iím sharing the antenna between 2 Nav radios and then a splitter for my number 1 Nav, so that probably doesnít help. I am adding whiskers for my no. 1 and retaining the Archer for my no.2.

The Comm worked well enough on my no.2 Comm until I lost my whip connected No.1 while flying to the other coast. Faced with a coast to coast flight with a single Comm, I felt compelled to swap antenna before returning home. So I decided to go with 2 whips after that. (Sorry if thatís a repeated story).

So I found my (real) Archer installation not quite up to what I found I wanted. But I still think they are a good solution for many if not most missions.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Has any RV ever had this problem? I never heard of it - but perhaps you have some data I don’t. If so, I’m sure many would like to know.

I’ve used ADS-B weather when IFR to circumnavigate many thunder bumpers along the East Coast. Never had a problem.

Carl
Having flown our RV-10 and previous RV-4 through lots of IFR over the years I have the following personal experiences.

In the RV-4 once while navigating under cumulous clouds around heavy rain, I started feeling the hair on my neck stand up towards the canopy. When moving my arm around the cockpit I noticed the hair on my arm standing strait out toward the canopy. I really don't care to have my muscles artificially stimulated by static electricity so I did not experiment with touching things to find the voltage differential.

Several times again in the RV-4 when flying through snow for a while, had the same experience.

In the RV-10 the only time I thought maybe there was evidence of static electricity, Had been flying in light rain and clouds IFR for about 1.5-2 hrs solid, near the end of the flight I became aware of a noise that had been periodically happening I am guessing every 8-15 minuets. The sound was a snap like you hear when a plastic water bottle collapses when changing altitude. The part that caught my attention was the last time I heard it right near the end of that flight, at the same time of the "snap" from the corner of my peripheral vision I saw what appeared to be a spark jump from the steel bar that connects the dash to the fiberglass cabin top. The spark basically appeared to jump between the bar and the windscreen. I wanted to see it again for confirmation but was on the approach to landing and slowing down.

I did not observe any adverse effects on the navigation or communication radios.

Based on this, I don't think static wicks are necessary at normal RV- speeds.
Fisher Classic Cassler Power VW sold
RV-10 N7631T 820hr Sold
RV-8 700+hrs
Carbon Cub 200 hr Sold
One-Off Super Cub 90 hr
SERFI AWARDS

http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Weasel : 02-27-2018 at 10:10 AM.