VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-29-2017, 08:51 AM

Default Available N Number List

A while ago someone on the forum posted a link with a list of available "N" numbers. I found one I liked, checked the FAA data base, found it still available, and reserved it with my $10 credit card payment. Three weeks later I get a letter from the FAA stating its not available and to pick out a new number(s), and resubmit the request, or request a refund. I searched here and the web with no luck finding that list. Anyone know where I can find it again? Thanks in advance.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 12-29-2017, 08:57 AM

Here is the link: http://www.tailnum.com

Note - the FAA on line N number reservation does not block you from applying (and paying your $10) if those less than nice people at Short N Numbers get to that number before you. I suspect they have automated their grab at the FAA site.

I was able to beat Short N Numbers out just once when I found myself awake in the middle of the night.

Carl
N8PH reserved for the new RV-8 project
Old 12-29-2017, 09:13 AM

That's the one. Thank you Carl!

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 12-29-2017, 10:25 AM

Carl,
You got lucky beating Short N Numbers. I'm 0 for four tries. All four attempts were made immediately after midnight Oklahoma City time just as those particular numbers came available.

Cheers, David
RV6-A
Old 12-29-2017, 12:08 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by koupster View Post
Carl,
You got lucky beating Short N Numbers. I'm 0 for four tries. All four attempts were made immediately after midnight Oklahoma City time just as those particular numbers came available.

Cheers, David
RV6-A
Same here, within a minute of after midnight and missed it.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 12-29-2017, 09:26 PM

Default Available N number list

After multiple attempts at reserving one of the more 'desirable" registration numbers as shown on the published list, I determined to find a more reliable method.

The registration numbers on the list come from, among other places, aircraft which have been removed from the roles due to a change in registration number or a loss of the aircraft. It takes the Agency several days after the number becomes available to get them on the list.

To eliminate the delay, it is possible to view the registrations which are scheduled to be dropped olong with the date of their release. Wait until 12:01 Oklahoma City time before submitting your request for that number. The FAA servers will change that number from "unavailable" to "available" at the strole of midnight.

Happy hunting!
paid 'til 10-18
Old 12-30-2017, 10:05 PM

I managed to beat them. I have N83RB on reserve.

Bob burns
Rv-4 N82RB
Old 12-31-2017, 10:59 AM

Default Change the rule

This problem (multiple reservations of N numbers by a commercial operation) is predominately applicable to experimental aviation. I would guess that the vast majority of reservations are made by builders.

We should all be communicating with EAA to make this a governmental priority. The problem is very easy to solve. Just make the reservation non-transferable.

As individuals we probably can't get anything done. But the organization that represents many of us could make a difference if we asked them to intervene.
RV8 N37PK
Old 12-31-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCardinal View Post

To eliminate the delay, it is possible to view the registrations which are scheduled to be dropped olong with the date of their release.
How do you do this?
Old 01-01-2018, 09:53 AM

Go here:
http://registry.faa.gov/AircraftRene...l_Inquiry.aspxhttp://registry.faa.gov/AircraftRene...l_Inquiry.aspx

in the center, below the spot where you would enter a registration number is a link that says:
"click here for a full aircraft list"

This should give you a huge list that you can export to Excel where you can sort it. Get rid of the date ranges

PS: I think that Jim is right. Too many guys locking up numbers and selling them. Works that way with domain names too.
paid 'til 10-18