Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2017, 03:58 PM

Default My experience running a tank dry.

Due to my impatience and boneheaded fuel expectations I managed to run a tank dry on a recent long cross country.

I knew the left tank was getting close to being empty but I thought it would get me another 10-15 minutes along before I switched to the right tank. I was about 20 minutes from home with rapidly diminishing daylight at 3500 ft. "The fuel in the right tank would be enough to get me home with reserves", was my thinking before the left tank went dry.

I did not think it would happen but suddenly the engine quit with the prop windmilling at a good clip. I was pretty quick to switch tanks and after about 3 long seconds the engine restarted. I don't remember if I pushed in the mixture and turned on the boost pump but was very relieved that the power came back on.

So...do I fly on, confident that the right tank would carry me through a darkening sky to my destination? No. I finally made a wise decision and diverted 9 miles to an airport I knew had SS fuel. I made it home later than I planned and logged some night flying and and a landing. I would have gotten home sooner if I had just topped off the tanks before I left in the first place.

Lesson Learned: After 11 years and 1100 hrs with my RV9, overconfidence, impatience, and complacency are real dangers. I'm glad this happened. It needed to happen and I am a better pilot for it.
Warner Robins, GA
A&P
APRS KJ4EFS
Old 12-28-2017, 04:20 PM

Thanks for sharing. Carb or FI?

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 12-28-2017, 05:08 PM

Not sure that's necessarily a problem...

Suppose you're on a long flight burning a bunch of fuel from each tank. How do you know how much fuel you've got in each tank? And how do you know that you won't run one tank dry on short final or unport the tank if you slip the wrong way?

I've thought about this a bunch, but don't have a good answer. My "thoughts" are:
* Change fuel tanks five miles out, so you know that you're not about to run one dry on final. And that's still high enough that if there's a problem, you can go back to the other tanks;
* Or run one tank dry in flight, knowing then that the other tank has all the fuel reserves/

And let's face it, precise fuel management in an RV is more optimism than practice. Probably the best fuel burn numbers come from factory built airplanes with the same engine/prop combination, and that will give fuel burn per hour, but those numbers will need adjustment for climb, etc. And although RV tanks are relatively easy to fill completely, the wing ribs can act as air traps, so you may not get them exactly full.

And then there have been flights where the destination airport didn't have gas -- the credit card reader was inoperative, the fuel hose was stuck, or the gas vendor wasn't open on weekends. On long trips, I've gotten in the habit of planning to land with two hours of gas, and that means that if I have to go somewhere unplanned an hour away for gas, I can land there, still with an hour of reserves.

But there have been flights back to home base when the landing was planned with only an hour of reserves, night was falling, etc.

As they used to say on TV, be careful out there!
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 12-28-2017, 05:23 PM

Default Grumman Trainer

While building my 9A, I purchased a Grumman AA1B with an O-320 and stock gas tanks. 11 gallons on each side and an 8 gal/hr motor flying around the middle of Nevada makes for critical fuel management. I got used to running a tank dry so that I knew how much time I had on the other tank. Like this:

Left 30 min - Right 30 min
Left 30 min - Run it dry (15-20 min more)

Right tank now has 30 min plus the run dry time.

One eye on the fuel pressure gauge when it is about to run out makes the swap without the engine stopping.

I have not used this technique in the 9A but I could.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:29 PM

On long range flights, I'm a proponent of running a tank dry so you know you've got all of your remaining fuel in one tank. No sense running both of 'em down to the "is one gonna unport in the pattern?" level.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
Not sure that's necessarily a problem...

Suppose you're on a long flight burning a bunch of fuel from each tank. How do you know how much fuel you've got in each tank? And how do you know that you won't run one tank dry on short final or unport the tank if you slip the wrong way?

I've thought about this a bunch, but don't have a good answer. My "thoughts" are:
* Change fuel tanks five miles out, so you know that you're not about to run one dry on final. And that's still high enough that if there's a problem, you can go back to the other tanks;
* Or run one tank dry in flight, knowing then that the other tank has all the fuel reserves/
Agree- I've tried to run out a tank many times, doing the 5 miles out option then switch. Nice too see someone has ran a tank dry, I have not been able to yet. These RV's are fast and efficient!

Brad Ransom
http://www.westcoastravens.com
RV-6A 180HP-purchased
Be V35
Old 12-28-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan View Post
Thanks for sharing. Carb or FI?

Bevan
Carbed O320 160 hp, 1 mag, 1 EI
Warner Robins, GA
A&P
APRS KJ4EFS
Old 12-28-2017, 07:13 PM

Default Me too

I always run the left tank dry when on cross country and left hand pattern airports in the plan. On our -9, six gallons is another hour of flying but I'm looking for a place to refuel around 8 gallons.

RV-3 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Flying
1946 Piper Cub - in process......
Old 12-28-2017, 08:21 PM

If the turn is coordinated, it makes no difference which tank is selected.
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 12-28-2017, 08:30 PM

Default From AFP for FI Systems

From AFP:
"WARNING

Airflow Performance and Bendix/Precision fuel injection systems are non-returning systems. In the event that a tank is run dry in flight, an air lock will be formed on the out let of the pumps. It is possible that the auxiliary pump will not pick up fuel, as the auxiliary pump cannot create enough air pressure to over come the flow divider opening pressure, thus displacing the air and resume pumping fuel. It is not recommended to run a fuel tank dry in flight without adequate testing and proper documentation of the procedure for this operation."
So try it safely before you need it.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 12-28-2017 at 08:33 PM.